First projector

Ended up buying the N7 even tho I will have to change bulbs, really good price new with a full warranty. I have to get smaller screen as it's throw is not that flexible like Sony's.

How many hours until the brightness goes down noticeably?

Last edited:
Ended up buying the N7 even tho it's lamps again, really good price new with a full warranty. I have to get smaller screen as it's throw is not that flexible like Sony's.
That sucks. Buying an expensive projector only to have to go smaller which means spending on a screen as well.
Are there not any large OLED or MINI LED TVs you could get instead? They will knock the projector into next week picture wise.

Ended up buying the N7 even tho I will have to change bulbs, really good price new with a full warranty. I have to get smaller screen as it's throw is not that flexible like Sony's.

How many hours until the brightness goes down noticeably?
Phenomenal projector. Congratulations.

It will upgrade as your room does and is well capable of casting a gigantic image, especially high lamp and the DTM is magical for perceived brightness.

The JVC bulbs don’t dim a lot at all if you run them in low lamp.

That sucks. Buying an expensive projector only to have to go smaller which means spending on a screen as well.
Are there not any large OLED or MINI LED TVs you could get instead? They will knock the projector into next week picture wise.

I don't have a screen yet so it's not like I am selling bigger for smaller, first projector. I had to go to 110 inch from planned 120 which is not that bad really. TV prices over 85 inch are insane so this thing is still bigger even if not that much, also I already have a TV quite a good one but this is completely different immersion I think compared to sitting close to a 65 inch TV. I am gonna test it and see, can always return both projector and the screen within 14 days.

Phenomenal projector. Congratulations.

It will upgrade as your room does and is well capable of casting a gigantic image, especially high lamp and the DTM is magical for perceived brightness.

The JVC bulbs don’t dim a lot at all if you run them in low lamp.

Thanks! I am planning to treat my room, not really a black paint but black curtains, detachable velvet, rug stuff like that. Do you think the brightness overall will be enough? I would have to run full wide zoom and from what I've read you lose brightness or was it contrast? Also with or without color filter, worth it?

Also one concern I've visited the NX owner thread and people seems to have problems with some kind of a blue lines or something, if this happens after warranty do you think it's gonna be expensive to fix?

Last edited:
I don't have a screen yet so it's not like I am selling bigger for smaller, first projector. I had to go to 110 inch from planned 120 which is not that bad really. TV prices over 85 inch are insane so this thing is still bigger even if not that much, also I already have a TV quite a good one but this is completely different immersion I think compared to sitting close to a 65 inch TV. I am gonna test it and see, can always return both projector and the screen within 14 days.
Ahh, thanks for the clarification. You made it sound like you had to reduce your screen size from a current setup.
If you havent bought anything yet, then having to size your screen a little smaller is not the end of the world.

Ahh, thanks for the clarification. You made it sound like you had to reduce your screen size from a current setup.
If you havent bought anything yet, then having to size your screen a little smaller is not the end of the world.
Yeah it's my first machine. I was about waiting for the new Sony as it would allow me to go 120 inch and it's laser technology but then I have stumbled upon the SXRD degradation thread and boi that scared a hell out of me. I did the math and 110 should still be pretty cinematic given my room and seating. Can't wait! Do you also own a projector or are u a TV guy?

T
The difference throw wise isn’t massive between the two. Tbh the jvc can zoom and crop a bigger image than the Sony if he uses the full panel resolution

Yeah it's my first machine. I was about waiting for the new Sony as it would allow me to go 120 inch and it's laser technology but then I have stumbled upon the SXRD degradation thread and boi that scared a hell out of me. I did the math and 110 should still be pretty cinematic given my room and seating. Can't wait! Do you also own a projector or are u a TV guy?
You can zoom on the jvc to use the full 4k width so I’d wait on getting the screen and get the Pj in and measure what size image you can cast. Makes image brighter too.

I own a Sony 760ES. I wouldnt let the issue scare you as it is blown out of all proportion. IMO.
Over 2500 hours now on mine and it still looks absolutely fabulous. Still have great uniformity, colours and black levels.
JVCs have issues of their own mind.
Woeful QC, slow HDMI sync times, stripes, shimmering menus, dust blobs, bright corners.... etc. They are not projector nirvana.
Also, in response to using the full panel; Full panel resolution means permanently scaling the image as all consumer content is UHD. 3840 vs 4096.
Getting a native 4k machine to not use it at 1:1 pixel for pixel images, seems daft to me. If you don't mind scaling, get an Epson LS12000.

I didn't read this was your first PJ! You've definitely nailed it. Normally people start off with an Epson for their first projector but you've gone straight for the highest contrast one lol. At your screen size, I think you'll be really good with low lamp.

I remember Stridsvongen a guy on this forum telling me to buy a JVC but I went against his advice ( grabbed a Sony HW40ES instead, then 3 Epson's in a row) before finally getting one and its been good. You've already seen the NP5 in the showroom and your N7 should look better than or equal to that.

110'' is going to be a massive step up from a TV.

An N7 is going to be really difficult to beat. You'll have to pay £16000+ to get an NZ8 to match the contrast it'll provide and given you're screen size is quite conservative, you can clamp down the iris and maximise the contrast.

I didn't read this was your first PJ! You've definitely nailed it. Normally people start off with an Epson for their first projector but you've gone straight for the highest contrast one lol. At your screen size, I think you'll be really good with low lamp.

I remember Stridsvongen a guy on this forum telling me to buy a JVC but I went against his advice ( grabbed a Sony HW40ES instead, then 3 Epson's in a row) before finally getting one and its been good. You've already seen the NP5 in the showroom and your N7 should look better than or equal to that.

110'' is going to be a massive step up from a TV.

An N7 is going to be really difficult to beat. You'll have to pay £16000+ to get an NZ8 to match the contrast it'll provide and given you're screen size is quite conservative, you can clamp down the iris and maximise the contrast.

That is nice. It's coming this week really pumped, I've read some post from this Stridsvongen guy and it looks like the N7 might not be really much better than N5 even same so if there is no huge difference then I can return it, take the N5 instead and spend money somewhere else, spare bulbs, better screen or blu-ray player just random thoughts on squeezing as much as possible for the price/performance.

I was also thinking about the NZ7 as it's laser, newer processing, brighter, calmer image? but then I saw the price tag oh boi, these things cost like a car! Is it loaded with semiconductors or what?

Last edited:
That is nice. It's coming this week really pumped, I've read some post from this Stridsvongen guy and it looks like the N7 might not be really much better than N5 even same so if there is no huge difference then I can return it, take the N5 instead and spend money somewhere else, spare bulbs, better screen or blu-ray player just random thoughts on squeezing as much as possible for the price/performance.

I was also thinking about the NZ7 as it's laser, newer processing, brighter, calmer image? but then I saw the price tag oh boi, these things cost like a car! Is it loaded with semiconductors or what?

There is a difference if your screen is on the smaller side. At 140''+ where you don't clamp down iris on an N5, sure they're all about equal. However at 110'' to 120'', you can clamp down the iris to reach your target nits and get more contrast due to the dual iris.

I'd just get used to projection with the N7. Going up to the NZ line is a lot of money for something you haven't lived with and enjoyed yet.

There is also far more smarter ways to improve your PQ (MVEL22, Velvet in the room on the sides, ceiling and bottom namely), MADVR/Lumagen as a video processor if you want, etc. Or sound if you don't have that covered.

I understand that makes sense. I have an AV system which is pretty good so I am gonna use that, also my workstation PC is being used for MadVR.

Treating my room, choosing the correct screen is planned after I get the projector, fingers crossed.

Again thank you for your insights.

Last edited:
I understand that makes sense. I have an AV system which is pretty good so I am gonna use that, also my workstation PC is being used for MadVR.

Treating my room, choosing the correct screen is planned after I get the projector, fingers crossed.

Again thank you for your insights.

Perfect. Go MvEL22 asap! Best investment I made was my mvel22 curtains which treat the walls: it’s just incredible.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom