1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Projector - WoW !!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by xxalxx, Jan 3, 2005.

1. xxalxx

xxalxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Last thursday, after a phonecall to Discount Electrical I got meself a Panny 700 and a Luma 83". This is my first projector and all I can say is WOW!! I have heard a lot of good and bad things about this projector, but to anyone sitting on the fence like I have been for the last 18 months, go and have a look at one.

Didnt tell the missus I had bought one, until i needed her to drive a 120 mile round trip to pick it up :thumbsup: so I could watch the football on SKY on saturday.

Would just like to say that next time I buy something like this I am going back to that shop because the service and welcome there seemed second to none, and I would recommend the shop to everyone.

Now she wants (after being in the shop) a LCD TV for the bedroom and a 6.1 surround system !!!!!!!

Al

2. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    great news,

welcome to the world of FP :)

No going back!

Cap :)

3. upallnight

upallnight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    wellcome and well done !
    its nice too see your other half actually has some interest in home cinema
    lucky man ! all i get is thats too loud ! :suicide:

just remember it doesnt stop from here it just gets more expensive !

regards
    leigh

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I had my first pj and screen from them too, an AE300, and recently got my H77 from them too, a good place to do business and Ben provides excellent help and advice.

5. xxalxx

xxalxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    cant wait to add a decent sound system, we are staring from scratch with everything, just have an old sony amp paired with some naff speakers, but its getting there.

Al

6. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Exactly my reaction whan I switched mine on, and I was projecting onto patterned wallpaper! Sounds like you've got some more wow moments to come as you add full sound capabilities!

Just a warning that this forum is a bit of a dual edged sword, fantastic for advice and information, but makes you feel like your PJ is going to develop an annoying fault at any second! But I suppose it comes with the territory, people usually come here for help, not to enthuse. I'm sure the vast majority are blissfully unaware that we exist and are happily enjoying their PJ's fault-free...PJ :)

7. xxalxx

xxalxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I know, it took me a year and a half to take the plunge, I am def glad I did :clap: .

Just a quick question whislt I am here:

Av Recievers.

I want a reciever that takes the feeds from my dvd player, sky, + pc, but I want to take the result to either my TV or the panny 700. Do you need to have another switchbox between the reciever and the display device or can the reciever take care of this ?

Al

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      Size:
      29.3 KB
      Views:
  8. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,838
    A AE700 for a first projector. Excellent choice.

I ended up with a second hand AE100 as my first projector and also thought WOW. I don't want to see the picture of a AE700 in case it makes it look rubbish. :D

I have also upgraded to a Mark Grant/Blue Jeans Cable component cable which made a huge difference.

9. tjobbins

tjobbins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    xxalxx,

Many AV receivers can do the video routing that you want. They'll have a bunch of video inputs, and then a couple of outputs. Usually you can assign the video inputs to an audio input, so that switching will change both the video and audio at the same time.

One word of warning tho - my amp (Denon AVC11SR, paid £1200 two years ago) does the above, but with one major drawback; it won't convert from one video format to another. Example: It has a component in which I could use for DVD, and an S Video in which I could use for Sky. It also has component out and S Video out. But the component out will only display the input from a component in, and S Video Out will only display the input from a S Video In.

What you would want is an amp which can convert - it would need a couple of component ins (one for DVD, one for PC) and an S Video in (Sky), then allow you to run a Component Out cable into your projector and an S Video Out into your TV. Then you would always leave the PJ on its Component Input, and use the Amp to switch the input source. This video conversion facility was only available on a few amps when I bought mine a couple of years ago, but is probably much more common (or standard) today.

Oh and finally - doing the above probably won't get you the best possible picture. For example, the ideal way to connect your PC to the projector would be via VGA or HDMI (using an adaptor to convert the PC graphic card's DVI output to the HDMI input of the PJ), however I doubt any AV amps will support a digital input/output like that.

So the convenience of using the amp to switch, and also the ability to suport both the TV and PJ simultaneously, might come at the cost of the best possible picture on the PJ.

You can get external video processing boxes which I think will do the signal duplication you want, and also support digital input/output - but these cost several hundred pounds and more.

Hope that helps

10. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,834
    Nice one - I wish I could stretch to a PJ in the £1000 - £1500 bracket ;) . I too have just taken the plunge and have gone for the entry level EPSON EMP-TW10H. Hopefully it should arrive tomorrow or Wednesday and then I may to have a WOW moment. From what i've read from the people in the know on this forum and various reviews it's a decent PJ for the price.

11. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    It's also another connection in the chain vs an unbroken component cable between the source and the PJ. Presumably these AV amps/receivers are designed to minimise any degradation in this respect?
    ...PJ

12. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I very nearly went for the TW10H, looks a good machine, but then saw the Hitachi and saw the extrra resolution and thought :censored: it, I'll just be poor for a while!

What screen / bracket are you going for?...PJ

13. xxalxx

xxalxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the info.

I suppose thats why they make these things with multiple inputs, and after having a think, I came up with a working wire up. The HTPC isnt even bought/built yet, but I suppose it doesnt hurt planning ahead. :smashin:

Many thanks

Al

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      Size:
      63 KB
      Views:
  14. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I think i'll throw a spanner in the works and tell you to use the Liteon for your TV, and don't even bother running it into your Pana 700, use the HTPC for DVD playback, picture will be much better :)

And whilst we're at it - Don't bother running your SKY into the Pana 700 either, run it into your HTPC using DScaler. Night and Day between running it directly into the PJ and Via the HTPC. Then save all the wires to the PJ and just have the one digital run from the HTPC to the projector :)

Got ya thinking now eh? :smashin:

15. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,834
    Yeah was very tempted by the PJTX100 and nearly went for one but it was just a little too much at this time. The Hitachi looks a great PJ though :smashin:

I'm probably going to go down the homemade screen route by stretching some blackout fabric over a wooden frame.

16. tjobbins

tjobbins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey xxalxx,

Glad you got it setup ok!

Just a thought - with Sky, it might be better to use the RGB Scart into the 700 and SVideo into the TV, and then have the DVD go into the TV over Scart. That'd give the best possible quality in each place I'd say - or does that not work for some reason?

(That is, until you go with Seany's HTPC DScaler solution :) )

Tom

17. xxalxx

xxalxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Tom : There is no scart on the Liteon it uses one of those useless composite + audio into scart adaptors. TBH it is gonna be the first thing to get replaced once the HTPC is set up.

SeaneyC : Does DScaler require a Sweetspot card, or just any input card with Svideo input on it (for the sky box) ? Spanner in the works.....more like a car :laugh:

Cheers

Al

18. MikeRJ

MikeRJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You won't be dissapointed by the Epson, and you will most assuredly have a big WOW moment the first time you set it up and use it. I just got my TW10 set up and working properly, watched ROTK Extended a couple of days ago and I was over the moon with the performance of what is probably one of the cheapest home cinema projectors available.

I made my own screen with a wood frame and black out material, and I'm very happy with the picture quality, though the room does have to be very dark for best effect (wife is making some blackout linings for the curtains with the rest of the material I bought).

Only painted the borders on yesterday, and they make an astonishing difference to the picture, it's really jumps out of the screen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. whats_this

whats_this

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    very nice set up MikeRJ any chance you can tell us where you got the ceiling mount from as it looks like it might fit the bill for what i need. Thanks

20. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,834
    Yes very nice Mike and i'm glad to hear your praise for this PJ :thumbsup: . It is superb value and as i've not experienced some of the more expensive PJ's around i'm sure I will not be let down by it's performance. I'll be mainly using the PJ at night so ambient light shouldn't be a problem. I also have a blind and fairly thick curtains in the room i'm using and the window doesn't get much sun, so I should have no problem getting the room nice and dark when required.

I've had an email from Technoworld stating that delivery is set for tomorrow so with a bit of luck it's also a trip to B&Q and the local fabric store to get my screen materials. One question, what paint did you use on your screen fabric?

21. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    You can use a Sweetspot if you want component or RGB input, would be awesome for your sky box - if a little pricey. £20 will get you the VERY decent PBTV-100 TV card (at least it was £20 last time i looked) from PC World. (Packard Bell and PC World i know, but trust me it's a good card!) If you still have some videos, DScaler will work practical miracles, making previously unwatchable quality videos quite OK. Lob in a DVD writer for £40, and some dvd software, and you've just turned your run of the mill PC into an all singing, all dancing media centre with awesome quality to boot! As you can tell i'm quite a fan of my HTPC :blush:

22. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Great looking screen! How did you make the frame? Standard stuff from B&Q/similar? Only think i would say is that it looks a bit high for my tastes, maybe it's just me?

23. xxalxx

xxalxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    cheers m8 :)

I think a shopping trip may be in order soon :) wonder if I can sneak one in whilst she is at work :devil:

What is the spec of your HTPC btw ?

Al

24. MikeRJ

MikeRJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I made it from an old Unlilock speaker wall mount that my brother was throwing out. I posted a close up of it in the DIY section a while back. It did require some welding though.

Not just you, it is a little bit high up as I discovered after watching ROTK for four hours! The problem being the TW10 has no image offset adjustment, so if/when I lower the screen I will also have to lower the projector as I don't want to have to use keystone adjustment. This is a pain as it will bring it quite close to the tops of out heads and the noise might get intrusive. Also I have to leave enough space to fit a central heating radiator under the screen. Just hope the heat dosen't mess the screen up (planning on making a radiator shelf to put the center channel speaker on and will also hopefully deflect most of the hot air away from the screen).

In truth it's not too bad as ours rooms don't have particularly high ceilings. It's a bit like sitting more toward the front of a cinema rather than in the middle.

The frame was made from a pack of B&Q planed wood of around 20mmx45mm. Cost just over a fiver. Made a basic rectangle with an extra vertical support in the center, and a diagonal brace at each corner to make the frame rigid. I spent ages doweling all the joints, but that's because I'm a berk and thats the sort of thing I do! You could easily get away with butt joints just screwed together. The blackout material was from an ebay seller, pandoras-upholstery. It quite stretchy and dead easy to get a wrinkle free finish. I used a staple gun to fix it down. I really meant to take a few pictures during construction, but I tend to get a bit "into" the work and forget about things like that!

[Edit] The paint was Matt Black made by International (red tin). I bought it from Homebase as a last minute purchase, and painted a few scraps of blackout material 24 hours before just to make sure there were going to be no compatibility problems. I applied it using a small roller to ensure even coverage and no brush marks. I only used a very tiny amount, if you are anywhere near Plymouth you can have the rest of the tin ;) Normal masking tape worked fine, despite some worries I had as the white side of the material is a little delicate ( a finger nail will scratch it).

Anyway, hope that helps and provides a bit of encouragement for anybody planning their own.

25. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,834
    That's great stuff Mike, hopefully i'll be building one tomorrow :thumbsup: .

Does the screen leak much light through? Also have you got any pics posted anywhere of the screen showing an image?

26. MikeRJ

MikeRJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Not taken any pictures yet, too busy watching DVDs! I'll have a go tonight though.

When you talking about leaking, do you mean light leaking through the blackout material itself? If so it's almost totaly opaque, very little seems to get through.

27. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I used the same stuff to paint the borders on my MDF screen, looked great until I noticed the very slight amount of smattering which had found its way onto the white surface - probably because I painted when vertical (so I could trace round the image) - motto is mask *and* use magazines/paper to cover the white area! :thumbsup: ...PJ

28. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    This looks totally awesome. I need something this height / shape to act as a table next to my chair to put the remotes on. Looks just the job... :D PJ

29. beng

beng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gthom3,

Technoworld seem to offer the best price on the web for this projector. Please let us know how you get on with them as my credit card is nervously wobbling in my pocket :thumbsup:

Ooh and I know you'll be busy but some screenshots would be great too. Y'know footy, movies the usual stuff :)

:lease:

30. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Currently packing an AMD 2200XP+, really budget Nforce2 MB, 512mb Ram, Pioneer A04 DVD writer, Nebula DigiTV card, Radeon 9600 128mb, Pinnacle Rave TV card (the TV100 is a lot better but i never got round to getting a new one, last one had a nasty accident) and 40Gb boot drive, 160Gb Data drive, 40Gb backup drive (not usually turned on) I currently run TT for DVDs, and Zoomplayer for everything else, with WMP9 for my tunes.

So basically a very modest PC, think it cost me about £400 to put together, this was almost 2 years ago!

Gonna upgrade soon to an AMD 64 of some kind, and get in PCI express and an nVidia 6600 series sometime.