First projector - which of these two Epsons?

H

HTnovice

Hi guys,

This is my first projector purchase, so I thought I'd borrow your wealth of knowledge to make the decision. I'm in Australia, so all prices are in Australian dollars. It's going to be a low end projector, as I can't afford anything better =P

I have a friend at Epson who can get me great rates on projectors, and I've narrowed it down to two options. Please keep in mind that I can only spend approximately AU$2,000. I'll be using the projector for two purposes - DVDs and Xbox gaming. I play DVDs via my Xbox, and would prefer not to have to purchase a standalone DVD player. However, I'd like to eventually use it for HDTV - if it's at all possible (most likely using a HT PC).

It'll be installed in my loungeroom, and used mainly at night time. Distance from the shelf to the wall I'll be projecting to is around 3.5 metres, with the couch approximately 3 metres from the wall. Here are the two projectors I've got in mind.

Option 1.
Brand New Epson EMP-TW10
RRP: approx AU$2,400
My discounted price: AU$1,800
W-VGA resolution with a nice quiet fan (29dB to 35dB, depending on mode) - however I'm worried that I'll notice the screendoor effect due to the resolution, which I noticed with the EMP-S1 (which I can also buy for a mere AU$1,400)

Option 2.
Ex-demo Epson PowerLite 720C
RRP: not sure, but guess at around AU$3,500+
My discounted price: AU$2,100 with one year warranty
XGA resolution, but has a 39dB fan. Will the increased resolution help to get rid of the screendoor effect, or won't it make a difference in the circumstances I'll be using it for? Also, is a 39dB fan going to be too loud? It's also got a contrast ratio of only 400:1, compared to the TW10's 700:1

Finally, what would the best connection option be - S-VGA or composite (I've got the option for both on my Xbox).

Any advice you guys can provide would be most appreciated. I'd really want to go with an Epson projector, as I get a nice discount from these guys, and I've heard they make decent projectors.

Thanks in advance for any info. Man am I excited about this! (If only my girlfriend was... hehe)

Hi,

I don't have experience of those Epson's so can't advise, however some general comments which hopefully may help:

1) Screen door usually disappears around 1.5 viewing distance, ie. 1.5 x screen width, and certainly by the time you're 2x away.

2) Have you checked the 'throw distance' to see the size of image these projectors will project from where you'll be mounting it?

3) 39db is deafening in home theatre terms, are you SURE it's that loud? Are you sure there's no alternate mode?

4) S-video is a LOT better than composite, NEVER use composite unless there's no other choice.

HTH. :)

BTW, you can point out to your girlfriend she can always go upstairs to read a good book if she doesn't like the pj. :devil:

Thanks for those tips - I thought 39dB might be loud, and yep, that's what the spec sheets for this projector say. So there's no point in going for the XGA projector?

I used the projectorcentral.com calculator to figure out the size of both image sizes at a range of approx 3.5 metres, and they work out at around 2.4 metres. However, I'll be sitting approx 3 metres from the screen, so does this mean I'll see the screen door effect? If so, would it be worth going for the XGA model and building a special sound proofing case for it (with plenty of ventilation fans of course)?

Hmmm just discovered that the XGA projector has a special silent mode... think I might have to get a demo of it in action.

Originally posted by HTnovice
Hmmm just discovered that the XGA projector has a special silent mode... think I might have to get a demo of it in action.
That's what I'd have expected ... certainly a demo is very much to be desired when it comes to buying this sort of equipment.

Have fun trying to decide which to go for. :devil:

Originally posted by HTnovice
I used the projectorcentral.com calculator to figure out the size of both image sizes at a range of approx 3.5 metres, and they work out at around 2.4 metres. However, I'll be sitting approx 3 metres from the screen, so does this mean I'll see the screen door effect?
You'll certainly be at risk of seeing it, though again I think you ideally should try to demo it, it's possible the SDE may not be an intrusive as you think, personally I find SD one of LCD's least-problematic annoyances .. it's a very personal thing.

Just a quickie - does higher resolution usually result in less screen door effect?

For the same-sized panel then yes for the expected reason that the inter-pixel gap is smaller. Of course if the higher-resolution panel is also physically larger then that rule won't apply, I'm not sure though how many different panel sizes there are so wouldn't know if that's something you need to check for.

HTnovice,

The HW10 is a home theatre projector. The other at only 400:1 contrast ratio is not. If you are serious about using it to watch DVDs, then your choice (of the two) has to be the TW10.

Thanks for all the info guys.

You've helped me choose the TW10 - it's only SVGA resolution, but I think it's going to be a nice first projector at a budget price. And by the time I can afford a proper XGA home theatre projector, they'll probably be much cheaper.

Now get ready for my million and one setup questions ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom