1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Projector (soon!)

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Paden, Aug 22, 2002.

1. Paden

Paden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi all!

I'm toying with the idea of upgrading to a projector (wall shifting permitting!) & wanted to know if any of you, having upgraded, miss your old CRT for any reason.
    I'd be using it as my sole viewing source, replacing my 32" Sony TV.
    I was thinking primarily of black levels & (possibly) increased picture grain.

Cheers, Paul

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I had a Panasonic 25" 4:3 TV.

I then got hold of a Barco Data 600 CRT projector.
    I have been running it via an Iscan Plus, with a screen size of approx 5ft wide 16:9 ratio. (It's an old projector so it can't handle a larger screen).

Do I miss my TV? Not really, for normal viewing I use a iiyama 19" monitor with my PC.

Black levels have improved slightly, they would decrease if I was using an LCD or DLP projector. Grain is slightly more noticable, but when you are imersed in a film you don't really notice.

Go for it.

Get a good CRT is you can. Roland at B4 Projection has a good supply.

3. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    I have a 28" widescreen TV as well. Decided not to go for a projector only, for big sporting events it would be ok, but for general use , having to close curtains, wait for pj to heat up etc. would be a right faff on. Also remember bulbs for PJ can be 300 uk pounds + so thats around the cost of a 28" tv. Stick a telly somewhere and use the pj for films is my advice.

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Agree fully with Karkus30. Use PJ for stuff where the large screen makes a difference - movies, sport, what takes your fancy. Use TV for news, soaps, etc.

5. Paden

Paden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks for the replies all, that's helped a lot i.e. don't think I'll be getting one. :(
    I think I'm trying to get a litre in a pint glass & it's not going to happen.
    Due to the shape of my room the screen'd have to be in front of a window & the room would have to be adjusted to suit, which wouldn't be a problem but the TV couldn't go in front of the window as I'd get no light in the room (exaggerating for effect) & it wouldn't look very good either.

Thanks again, Paul