Question First projector purchase - your opinion on 3 options

Which would you recommend? (multiple choices allowed)

• BenQ MW529

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ViewSonic PJD7720HD

• BenQ TH530

• Epson EH-TW5300

• Total voters

MuffinMan88

Novice Member
Hi all, I've just moved into a new flat with a large white wall here in London, and I'm excited to set up my first projector. My friend had one in our dorm in college, and I absolutely loved it. But that was 9 years ago, so I think the technologies have changed quite a bit. I've been doing my research, and have narrowed it down to a few options. Here are my constraints and preferences:

Budget: 500 GBP (note that I work at Amazon, so I can go up to say 550 GBP on Amazon.co.uk given the employee discount)
Stereo: Already have a stereo that I will be using for this setup, so just need a projector with audio out
Lines in: Need at least one HDMI, with a slight preference for two (so that I could leave my Fire TV plugged in one and use the other for PC connection)
Screen/wall: Our flat has a large white wall that is flat and clean, so we're going to stick with direct projection onto it for now. As we develop a better understanding of our tastes, we might later invest in a screen.
Ambient lighting: London has cloudy weather, and on top of that, we have both thick, dark wood blinds as well as thick curtains. Finally, we'll be primarily watching at night. So while it won't be as dark as a basement, ambient light will be minimal.
Dimensions: Wall measures 13'2" high and 16'5" wide. The project will sit 12'8" back from the wall, and we will be in our bed to the side of the projector (at that same distance). For that reason, we want to keep horizontal screen width down to <125" to prevent a viewing angle of greater than 40 degrees.
Resolution: We're more interested in picture quality than absolute size, especially given the small size of our flat, so we're open to going with a smaller screen size, down to around 105" diagonal.
Noise: Since we'll be just a few feet from the projector, would prefer to keep the noise levels down, if possible.
DLP vs. LCD: Not sure if either of us are susceptible to the rainbow effect for DLP. Concerned about pixelation for LCD.

Okay, so given all these constraints and design specifications, I've narrowed it down to the following options and would love to hear your thoughts on them. Thank you!
  1. BenQ MW529 - concerned about it being too low resolution?
  2. ViewSonic PJD7720HD
  3. BenQ TH530
  4. Epson EH-TW5300 - concerned about the LCD pixelation issue.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom