1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First projector purchase - Infocus 5700...?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by leedavies, Jul 10, 2004.

1. leedavies

leedavies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I'm looking to upgrade my 32" widescreen to a projector. :)

Have looked around and seem to be down to either the Sim2 Domino 20 or the Infocus SP5700. I plan a 7' wide screen, viewed from 12.5' back.

I have Sky+, DVD and Xbox sources, but am wondering whether the 1024x576 res of the 5700 is enough. In the back of my mind, I'm thinking HDTV, but that won't hit the UK until mid/late 2006, so I see little point in the £800 upgrade to the Infocus 7200.

Probably better to wait until 2006 and upgrade PJ then, when HDTV res prices are come down.

Any thoughts?

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,123
    Hi Lee,

Sounds like a good plan - anything over 1024 x 576 is wasted unless you intend to sit very close to the screen (higher res = less screendoor) or watch Hi Def, so buying now and upgrading later is a wise move IMHO.

My only thoughts are that you say you want to replace your 32" tv with the projector - this can be a bad move for a couple of reasons (from my point of view - you may not agree).

One is that if you're using the pj everyday for tv, games and movies, then you may find you'll be replacing the lamp quite quickly, and they're not that cheap - £300+ on average, so take that into account if the amount of use is going to be high. That could be £600 a year additional cost if you're a heavy watcher. :)

Secondly, I think movies should always be bigger visualy than something like Coronation St or similar tv programs, so if you do watch the tv on the pj, try to use it as 4:3 within the 16:9. Better still, keep the tv for normal viewing, and the pj for movies and games. Having Corrie or News at Ten larger than something like Ben Hur or Independance Day etc can drastically reduce the visual impact a blockbuster movie should have.

I have a similar res pj and my screen size and seating distance is the same as yours, so you should be very happy with the set-up. :)

Gary.

3. leedavies

leedavies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I agree completely.

I didn't mention the 30" LCD which is going on the wall behind the 7' electric screen... :thumbsup:

Good to hear screen size/distance works ok for you. Thanks for the info!

Lee

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,123
    You're welcome. :)

Gary.