First projector, please advise...

RK86

Standard Member
Reaction score
I will be constructing a dedicated Cinema room and need help on which projector to buy, it seems a minefield so i am hoping one of you experts can point me in the right direction:

Primary usage: Sport, XBox, Blueray

Throw distance: 2.7 metres (Would like an 85"+ diag screen)

Must be 1080p, not interested in 3D.

Ideally under £850

Could you suggest some models that meet the above please, if i have missed anything let me know. :thumbsup:

Quick question, looking at the screen size estimater... Does 'Zooming' jeopardise picture quality? i.e if i Zoom to around 1.8x on some projectors i can get a pretty decent screen size for my throw range.

More information for best reply, please!

Is your £850 for projector only, or does it include screen.

Also, what about sound?

And are we talking new only?

Projector only, I'm just after advice on the best projector.

I guess I'll have to post my other questions regarding sound, screen etc at a later date in the relevant sections.

Yes, I would only want new.

I have noted the Epson EH-TW3200, slight concerns on size and if it would be too bright for my small(ish) room (3mx3m)

You can zoom without any problems, just try not to use the very max.The throw is the dimension from the screen face to the projectors lens so overall you will need at least 3mtrs wall to wall to get back to 2.7m.Even at that throw you may find 85" diagonal as struggle and 70-75" may be more realistic.

I would consider the Mitsubishi HC4000 9£950 approx) or Optoma HD230x (£650 approx) as two good DLP machines.The Epson TW3200 (£850 approx) which is an LCD but is quite a large machine.

Use the screen calculator below to see if they fit in with what you want.

Optoma HD23 Projection Calculator - Throw Distance and Screen Size

Last edited:
Your only other option for a large screen from a short throw is an Ultra short throw projector.The Optoma GT750 is an UST pj but is 720p only and will do 100" screen from around 6ft.

It is a very bright pj but you can cut the lumens down by placing an ND filter over the lens, these cost about £20 the pj is around £600.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom