First projector - new budget projector or used good projector

Irenouz

Novice Member
Hi,

I am a projector newbie and I’ve been looking for a projector for a while now but still haven’t gotten one... every time I settle on a model I get swayed again so I was hoping that maybe some of you have some advice for a first time buyer?

initially I wanted a new budget projector somewhere around £500. My top choices were:

BenQ w1050 but I couldnt find it on the BenQ website. I also tried searching for w1090, w1110 and w1200 but I kept stumbling across websites saying that these models are “discontinued”.
Epson eh-tw650 - everything looks good with this one except for the contrast ratio. Read a lot of comments on the less strong black levels.
BenQ th-585 - very Little information but the reviews I’ve read were quite good
Optoma hd27e - a bit pricier but seems great except for a lot of reviews complaining about defects after months of use
Optoma hd143x/hd146x - seems like a great option but the countless reviews on the bad colors and rainbow effect got me worried

Then I saw a lot of threads recommending used Sony hw40es or jvc x3/x30 for around £500. I’m a bit worried buying second hand but the projectors look great and a lot of positive purchasing experiences as well.

My criteria are:
Price: £400-600
I’m setting up the projector above my bed on a shelf. The distance to the opposite wall is around 2.7-3m. The shelf isn’t too high so it would be 10cm above my head if I sat up straight. Ideally not very noisy since the projector would be very close to my head.
My room has sun blocking roller blinds which shuts out a lot of the light but on the edges there is still a bit of light coming through.
I would mainly use this to watch movies and potentially in the future play some games.

Any advice or input is highly welcome!

Thank you!

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Well if the projector is going to be close to your head forget about DLP projectors which is Optoma/BenQ projectors as they are quite noisy.

That leaves LCD projectors from Epson basically. Some of their models are quite large and some are smaller,the smaller ones tend to be noisier. The other option is JVC/Sony as you have pointed out, trouble is they are quite large so you will need a big deep shelf to accommodate them. Also as with most second hand pj's you can be lucky and find one with maybe less than 1000hrs on the original lamp for £500/600 get a JVC X35 if you can at that price.

If they do go wrong at some stage most pj's can be expensive to repair, think in terms of a £200/400 but that depends on what has gone wrong. You might be lucky I got my X35 about 4 years ago now and has not put a foot wrong since I have had it. However I only use it Once or twice a week for a film so hours are still low under 1100hrs on original bulb. Mine cost almost £1000 but as I said that was 4yrs ago.

There's a few things to consider there sorry if it has confused you more.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
HW40ES
JVC X30
Panasonic AE8000

Key is to get low lamp hours as the lamp for some of the projectors above will cost 50-80% of the price you'll pay for the projector. I'd go for panasonic given its lovely tiny small form factor which some features which aren't even on high end PJs now.

3t3p

Hmm maybe I should sell my HW40ES after all and go 9400!
HW40ES in black, totally babied/smoke free house, new Diamond Bulb warrantied for two years (OEM Philips bulb with about 20hrs on it), pre-site calibrated by Ricky at Kalibrate

Irenouz

Novice Member
HW40ES
JVC X30
Panasonic AE8000

Key is to get low lamp hours as the lamp for some of the projectors above will cost 50-80% of the price you'll pay for the projector. I'd go for panasonic given its lovely tiny small form factor which some features which aren't even on high end PJs now.

thank you! Have you bought used projectors before?

Irenouz

Novice Member
Well if the projector is going to be close to your head forget about DLP projectors which is Optoma/BenQ projectors as they are quite noisy.

That leaves LCD projectors from Epson basically. Some of their models are quite large and some are smaller,the smaller ones tend to be noisier. The other option is JVC/Sony as you have pointed out, trouble is they are quite large so you will need a big deep shelf to accommodate them. Also as with most second hand pj's you can be lucky and find one with maybe less than 1000hrs on the original lamp for £500/600 get a JVC X35 if you can at that price.

If they do go wrong at some stage most pj's can be expensive to repair, think in terms of a £200/400 but that depends on what has gone wrong. You might be lucky I got my X35 about 4 years ago now and has not put a foot wrong since I have had it. However I only use it Once or twice a week for a film so hours are still low under 1100hrs on original bulb. Mine cost almost £1000 but as I said that was 4yrs ago.

There's a few things to consider there sorry if it has confused you more.

Thank you for your reply! Why are DLPs louder?

Irenouz

Novice Member
Hmm maybe I should sell my HW40ES after all and go 9400!
HW40ES in black, totally babied/smoke free house, new Diamond Bulb warrantied for two years (OEM Philips bulb with about 20hrs on it), pre-site calibrated by Ricky at Kalibrate
Let me know if you’re planning on selling :D

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
thank you! Have you bought used projectors before?

Yup. Bought HW40ES. Flawless. Just bought Epson 9300 which has been great.

I'm always looking at the used market now for a PJ. If one comes up with strikes fancy, test it out, enjoy it, sell it on when finished.

3t3p

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom