1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

first projector is this ok ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by shawn, Sep 7, 2004.

1. shawn

shawn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
  2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Have you seen this in action ? Where are you going to buy it ? If you do a seach on "acer" I'm sure there was a thread about them not so long ago here.......................

S.

3. Rip

Rip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    If you will be watching dvds, you will really want a widescreen PJ, this one says Native: 800x600 Pixels
    Maximum: 1280x1024 Pixels
    Aspect Ratio: 4:3 (SVGA) :thumbsdow

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    What made you decide on this particular model? There are various pjs out there either modified for, or designed for home cinema, and they have image processing (important) as well as colour specific design for rendering accurate skin tones etc. Data projectors won't have these, so will be noticably inferior in image quality.

For 800 x 600 pjs, the Optoma H30, Infocus X1, X2, 4800 or 4805 will be more suitable I think.

Idealy though, you should choose an xga pj with 1024 x 576 or 768 res for full PAL resolution. If the pj is 4:3, you will just be using the center portion of the display anyway, and the pj may be geared up for that, such as the NEC HT1000 or HT1100.

Gary.

5. shawn

shawn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    i dont get what you mean, will just be using the center portion of the display?

als whats so bad with, Aspect Ratio: 4:3 (SVGA) ?

well i watch alot of 4.3 material mainly cable channels so i guess that means 4.3 is full screen right?

i still watch 16x9 widescreen but i thought this projector supports widescreen? even through its not native?

i choose this mainly because its 1100 ANSI-Lumen which i was told is quite good anythink over 1000 for cinema use and 1500:1 contrast which is ok i heard.

and mostly because i have bought it for 350 delivered pounds off a guy and only 30 hours on bulb. which i thought was a great price not to be left.

it seems theres no reviews on here for acer projectors so i will have to see what its like when i get it.

im new to projectors but i thought this projector was ok going by the specs for a budget projector, and also thought knew at 350 quid with delivery included, theres no chance you would get one of these for that price again.

6. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Your original post didn't say anything about it being £350.............. ;)

A 4:3 800x600 which has a widescreen mode uses 800x450 of the panel when it's doing widescreen - the 75 lines at the top and the bottom of the panel are not used hence Gary's remark "If the pj is 4:3, you will just be using the center portion of the display anyway".

If you watch mainly 4:3 material then it probably won't bother you, it just isn't the kind of model I'd buy new for front projection. However, £350 is probably the cheapest you could get into front projection for and if it works out for you I'm sure you'll get loads of fun out of it.

S.

7. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    Theritz said it all I think. :)

For £350, it's a definate bargain, regardless of whether or not it's a data pj or HT pj - it has good contrast and for the money it should do you very well indeed.

Let us know what you think of it when you get it. :)

Gary.

8. shawn

shawn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    thanks guys for the replys,
    i know this projectors not the best by all means, but being a a budget and
    i was going to buy a x1 but....
    when i was offered it for this price i couldent say no.
    includeds carry case - video leads both composite and VGA (monitor type) and remote control.
    plus concidering i have got it so cheap i can buy a 90-100" screen.
    (would of had to make my own if i bought the x1)
    plus i said £350 the guy wanted but he wants £310 for the projector, but he delivering it for £40 pounds to my door, so it works out to £350 in total.
    on a plus note the bulb replacment is only £230 for this projector which i thought was good compaired to £400-500 for the expensive projectors,

i was looking at a site with the Epson EMP-S1 Projector which is a lower spec than the one im buying and it looks good on a 8ft screen (screen shot is a epson emp-s1 in action) [​IMG]so i think this projector will be even better,
    all i have got to do now is know whats the best connection or cables i need to buy.

9. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Lets be honest chaps, £350 for newish projector with only 30 hours on the clock cant be bad can it ? Thats the money you would pay for a crap 28" WS CRT.

We can be a little purist at time on here, in terms of a first intro into projection its hard to go wrong for that money. Everything in perspective, its alot of bang for you buck. I am sure you will have hours of great fun with it.

10. shawn

shawn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    yep i got it for £300 and the guy said he would deliver it for £40 the guy is delivering it today, £340 is good i thought.
    he should be here soon, will let you know what its like soon as he arrives.

11. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Harrisuk -

....... I presumed when I read Shawn's first post that it was a general enquiry...... For £350 with 30hrs on the lamp it should be a no-brainer....

Shawn,

You'll be wowed by having movies on the big screen...... You asked for advice on the best type of connections, the general rule is Component is best (three connectors, Red Green and Blue), next Svideo (small multipin connector) and least favourite Composite video (Single Yellow connector).

If you're into PC gaming, then connect your PC using the usual monitor lead and set the PC's screen resolution to 800x600 to match the resolution of the projector. If you don't like the result, you can bump up the resolution on the PC, the projector should accept the higher resolution with no probs. If your PC can play DVDs try it using the resolution set to 800x600...... you might be pleasantly surprised at the result.

Give us an idea of what you want to connect to the projector and someone will give you further advice.

Have fun.....

Sean.

12. shawn

shawn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    theritz thanks mate

this being my first projector i hope i will be wowed,

the type of things i will be connecting are:
    panasonic dmr e50 dvd ( however theres no Component as far as i know only s-video :(

i aslo have a thompson 7000 SCENIUM hardrive recorder, ( again no Component only s-video )

the guy has just left,
    its like new, as for video leads, theres 3 leads and what looks like a convertor,
    i have attached what leads have come with it.

i guess im going to have to buy another dvd player??

Attached Files:

13. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Shawn,

Pic 2 is for connecting a computer, Pic 3 is a Composite video lead, Pic 4 is an adaptor that I haven't seen before - does it have a 15 pin connector on the side turned away from the camera, and what colour are the three RCA sockets on the other side ? (Never mind, just read up the specs, that adaptor is used for connecting Component Video into the projector, if my reading is correct) Pic aaaaaa is a fairly standard Scart to Composite video (Yellow) and Right and Left Audio (Red and White) adaptor.

IF one of the machines you mention has a scart output, then connect the Scart adaptor to it, connect the Composite (Yellow) lead to the corresponding Yellow socket on the projector, and the Red and White leads into whatever AV amplifier/receiver you're using. That'll do to get started with. You could always pick up an Svideo lead and see whether the improvement is worth it. If you're happy with the output using the Scart adaptor, then you could get a simple Scart Swither and use that to choose which one you want going to the projector. I'm not the expert on how to connect up various bits and pieces to projectrs, I have to say, I've got a dedicated PC for playing dvds, and a small scaler for routing a TV signal and a signal from a PS2 and Gamecube (which is very rarely used), so someone else might have more detailed advice for you.

As to getting another dvd player, try things out hooking up your present gear, no need to rush into things. If you were to buy one, you could watch out for one which did Progressive Scan (Pal and NTSC), there are lots of budget models about as well as the more esoteric stuff - do some reading over on the DVD players forum here and you'll get a good gist of what's hot and what's not.

BTW, that's a very nice piece of kit for £340/whatever....... looks surprisingly like a "little brother" to the optoma H30...... ;)

Sean.

14. shawn

shawn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    ok thanx theritz,

i done a quick test for half hour and it seems very good :) however im projecting onto a light blue woodchip wall, ive noticed some scenes are very dark however it might be because im useing the wall, as i say in new to all this.

so now im going to need a screen, i was offered a electric 7 foot for 160 pounds however im really thinking of building my own from reading the screens forum, i just have not made my mind up yet?

also ive noticed with this projector you cant check how many hours on bulb?