Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

First projector here I come

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by pRot3us, Oct 20, 2004.

1. pRot3us

pRot3us
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,474
    Hi all, new to the forum :hiya:

At last projectors are down to a price I can afford, so I've decided to take the plunge before xmas and get myself set up

I don't really want to spend more than a grand and am currently looking at this setup:

BenQ PB6200

Sony VPSHU70W 70 inch (widescreen) Pull up Projector Screen
    (I don't really have any wall space so want something floor mounted that I can close put away when not in use)

3 meter vga to vga cable (I will be connecting it to my pc mainly for dvds/video files and maybe gaming if it works well enough on the projector)

projector to screen will be approx 3.5 metres

How does this setup sound?
    Are there any other screens (similar price) that I should consider?
    Does anyone have a BenQ PB6200, I'd like to hear opinions from any owners, all the online reviews I've read have been very favourable

Reading these forums posts you all (well many) seem to be taking fat backhanders from panasonic ;) j/k

Well you know raving about the Panasonic AE500

but banding/screendoor/contrast concern me about lcds

but might I be better considering one of these, or even say **** it and get an AE700, as its an important purchase (**film buff here** :smoke: ) even though it would hurt an already burdened credit card :suicide:

Any opinions very welcome

I'm already feeling like a kid on xmas eve, just knowing I will be getting this setup
    :)

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi,

I really don't want to dampen your enthusiam :), but there are a couple of things I think you should be aware of.

I've no direct experience of this model, but it's a DLP so are you aware of the 'rainbow' problem some people have with this type of projector?

A more serious concern I think you'll have is that this is mainly a 'presentation' projector, it's very, very bright for a home cinema.

More appropriate and still within your budget I'd suggest you look at maybe the Epson EMP-TW10H (albeit an LCD) or an Optoma H30 (DLP), or maybe a Sanyo Z2 (LCD) ... these primarily home cinema projectors and I'm sure will give you more pleasure than the BenQ you're considering, even taking into account some mild VB or screen-door effects.

Slightly beyond your budget you'll get an AE700 or a Sanyo Z3 (LCDs), which will be a lot better on several fronts than the BenQ and even those first 3 I mentioned (to some extent).

3. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Sound advice. :smashin:

4. pRot3us

pRot3us
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,474
    thanks for the response

Yes, I've read about this and have downloaded videos showing it (camera moving rapidly side to side pointing at a white circle on a black background onscreen)

I really don't know what to make of it though, i.e. what percentage of people does it affect, and how does it make itself evident in real terms; I won't be shaking/moving my head from side to side when watching a movie ;) . There seems to be a lot of dare I say *scaremongering* regarding DLP projectors and this effect which only serves to confuse me further after reading that DLP projectors have a far superior image quality to LCDs (more vibrant colours/darker blacks)
    I wasn't aware of that, I thought LCDs were more widely used as presentation projectors, and forgive me if I'm being stupid but isn't brighter better?

The BenQ seems to have good reviews :
    here

Just trying to get all the facts before I part with my cash :)

5. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    bright is good, in certain circumstances.

If you have a really dark room and a really bright picture your eyes will most probably get quite sore though. On the other hand if you use the projector in an open room with daylight coming in then you need a bright picture to see anything in the first place...

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    It isn't 'scaremongering', rainbows are real, I see them but they don't bother me. True, it's a minority of people that see them and depending on the speed of the colour wheel that minority will be quite small .. however, it remains a fact that a small number of people suffer heaches, eystrain and general tiredness watching them, caused by their eyes trying to deal with the effect.

Looking at that link you give, it says that machine as a 3x 4 segment colour wheel, this means it's not one of the fast wheels, which in turn means more people will see rainbows with that than, say, the HS30 I mentioned.

As for 'brighter better', well to a degree yes, but only in some situations. What you need to consider is that 'presentation' projectors are designed to be used with relatively bright ambient lighting, in offices etc. They're designed to show 'Powerpoint' type slides in the main, where colour rendition isn't critical, and more importantly 'black level' isn't an issue.

When viewing movies though the 'blackness' of black is key to percieving a good picture .. this is why the contrast ratio is important, though numbers quoted in projectors ads need careful analysis. Any background light will wash-out black, turning it into a muddy gray, which kills the picture quality.

If you're viewing in a blacked-out room, with non-reflective walls then a higher brightness will be okay, however watching in more domestic settings with relatively light and reflective walls, ceiling and carpet you'll get a lot of background light scatter reflected back on to the screen .. again, muddying blacks and affecting picture quality.

There, I'm done. :) It's your decision. Having scanned the user comments it clearly is a reasonable projector of its' type, if you go ahead and buy it then you don't seem to be getting a lemon, as long as you take on board the limitations and compromises you'll be accepting .. ALL projectors below the 3-panel DLP or CRT category are a compromise, understanding which compromises any technology or specific projector imposes is key to a good decision.

Good luck with your purchase, whichever you go for. :)

7. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    I've not seen a BenQ 6200 in action, but whether it should be discounted just from it's ANSI lumens rating.......not sure about that.
    Plenty of things come into play here - how big an image you want to throw, what the ambient light level is (EDIT just reread this - the ANSI rating does take this into bit into account, sort of - sorry), the gain of the screen used etc etc. (the ANSI rating takes none of these into account). Also, for 16:9 DVDs, with a 4:3 projector in 16:9 mode, you'll only be using 3/4 of the DMD anyway, so the light ouptut will be reduced accordingly.

Most PJs these days have an ecomode which also reduces the light ouput, and if the worst came to the worst and it was still too bright, you could always use a neutral density filter on the lens.

8. Dr Pumpstain

Dr Pumpstain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's difficult not to get bogged down with all of the research you find yourself doing...you won't see the wood for the trees...if you have never owned a projector before (like me until a month ago) you can easily narrow your decision by reading about the models most people here are writing about.

I would recommend viewing a DLP in action (I was put off after reading about rainbows on the forum until I saw one running and bought the H30 on the spot after 45 mins of The Two Towers).

After that if DLP isn't your thing then straight away you can narrow it down to three or four that will blow you away...Sanyo, Hitachi, Panasonic...etc, take your pick, if you haven't seen any of them running you will be happy whichever you choose.

Chill out, take it easy, it will be really, really hard to make the wrong decision because this will be your first projector...you have nothing to compare it to.

9. pRot3us

pRot3us
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,474
    Dr. Pumpstain yes, I've realised this now and after changing my mind to the Panasonic AE700 (which I can't reallistically afford atm) and reading other reviews I think I will just get the BenQ 6200 after all.

Thanks for all the input people :)