1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First projector help

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by xxalxx, Jan 25, 2004.

1. xxalxx

xxalxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If you had £1000 to buy your first projector, what would you go for...and your setup was this....

room = 12ft x 20ft

Current Hardware = Liteon 2001 DVD, Grundig Sky Digital (with svideo), Sony 32" WS TV.

What you recommend getting, limit is £1000 max, cant push her for more :(

Have looked at reviews for many projectors, up to £1500 (before my budget was cut), read thru the posts here etc, but there is conflicting things about most PJ's, one thingg will sings a PJ's praises, next thing you see about it, critizes it.

2. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    well projectors are best for different people in different setups. the best way to decide is to see one or more working in real life - however if like me this is really hard then the best bet is to go for an LCD pj as then you can be guaranteed you or any friends wont see the rainbow effect. There is still a big range to choose from but if you look aroun nexnix - take a look at specs - then look on projector central for reviews and see what they say about it - then check here for the sites where they have it the cheapest. Chris

3. chilly

chilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there

I have Just completed my installation, the projector I chose is the Hitachi PJ-TX10, this PJ has blown me away by its picture quality and I spent considerable time on demo with both LCD and DLP projectors, better to spend your money on a good LCD than a cheap DLP unless you like rainbows, my PJ shows no sign of chicken wire or any other associated traits, highly recomended

4. xxalxx

xxalxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    AVSales are doing a Sanyo PLV-Z1 for £821.33 (inc), a lot of people seem to have these, would it be a good first projector ?

I will mainly be using this to watch DVD's, with the occasional footy match from sky. Tho I may kidnap the kids Xbox :)

5. scott686868

scott686868

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'vo got the Z1 and it's my first PJ. At first i had it projected onto a mognolia wall and the picture was brilliant, now i've got it projected onto a diy screen (this is all because i'm still waiting for a loft conversion) and the picture is even better. It's projected from about 2.5 - 3 meters away and honestly, for the money i spent on it (which is more than what your getting it for) it's well worth the money. GO FOR IT :lesson:

6. beecee

beecee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +325
    plus you get a free DVD/VCR combie unit!!! i'm placing my order today! was thinking of a Panny 200/300, but for that money the Z1 is a steal. and i had a demo of a Z1 at sevenoaks in edinburgh.
    and i was very impressed with the picture.

*Edit* it arrives tomorrow.......

7. xxalxx

xxalxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I will have to wait till i get home from work whatever happens to have the final permission from "she whom must be obeyed".

Not really bothered about the free dvd player/video, already got more than i need lying round the house.

Anyone know what Sanyo's dead pixel policy is for the Z1 ?

8. beecee

beecee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +325
    i've allready sold my one (£100,) so its a Z1 for £720 notes,,,,,

there was a link somewhere for the dead pixel querie, i think in projectorcentral.
    but dead pixels are pretty rare anyway.
    panasonic's one is something like, AFAIK (not 100%) upto 8 blue, 1 red and 1 green. sanyo might be similar.

9. VirusKiller

VirusKiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70