1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First projector advice

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by mitor, Mar 10, 2005.

1. mitor

mitor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    Hi!

Just decided to get rid of my pioneer 43hde plasma, and go down the projector route..

It has to be high-def and will be connected to an x-box and denon 2910

I'm tempted by the panasonic ae700, but would I be better buying something like the benq 8700 (a high def dlp) instead.

I really don't like chicken wire on the screen, just how good is the panny and would I see a thousand pounds worth of improvement with a dlp?

Any advice gratefully recieved

2. Member 14847

Member 14847

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Find somewhere to take a look at a DLP machine to see if you suffer with the "rainbow effect". With a high speed, 6 or 7 segment colour wheel it shouldn't be a problem but it can be for a very small number of people.

If you do see the effect then your choice is narrowed down to LCD projectors, with the 700 and the Sanyo PLV-Z3 be considered the pick of the crop. If you don't see it then DLP has some noticeable benefits with contrast ratio. If you can stretch to it, the Sharp XV-Z2000 is marginally better than the BenQ.

3. mitor

mitor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    Thanks, don't suffer from the raibow effect, but don't know where to try an lcd projecter.

Still, thanks for the advice, might try to get a good price on a dlp...