Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

First projector advice

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by mitor, Mar 10, 2005.

1. mitor

mitor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Hi!

Just decided to get rid of my pioneer 43hde plasma, and go down the projector route..

It has to be high-def and will be connected to an x-box and denon 2910

I'm tempted by the panasonic ae700, but would I be better buying something like the benq 8700 (a high def dlp) instead.

I really don't like chicken wire on the screen, just how good is the panny and would I see a thousand pounds worth of improvement with a dlp?

Any advice gratefully recieved

2. Member 14847

Member 14847

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Find somewhere to take a look at a DLP machine to see if you suffer with the "rainbow effect". With a high speed, 6 or 7 segment colour wheel it shouldn't be a problem but it can be for a very small number of people.

If you do see the effect then your choice is narrowed down to LCD projectors, with the 700 and the Sanyo PLV-Z3 be considered the pick of the crop. If you don't see it then DLP has some noticeable benefits with contrast ratio. If you can stretch to it, the Sharp XV-Z2000 is marginally better than the BenQ.

3. mitor

mitor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Thanks, don't suffer from the raibow effect, but don't know where to try an lcd projecter.

Still, thanks for the advice, might try to get a good price on a dlp...