1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First professional review of budget Sony WXGA projector

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by stevenr, Dec 20, 2002.

1. stevenr

stevenr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    http://www.widescreenreview.com/attractions/eqrev3.html

Compares pretty well to its main competitor in the WXGA sector which is up against the TW100. I copied/pasted the review of the Epson TW100 from Jan2003 issue of Stereophile Guide to Home Theater fyi.

Kramer could you expand on the fan noise?. Is it loud or was this production unit not a fair representation of the fan noise.

2. gul

gul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It IS noticeably noisy even in cinema mode, but IMO not intrusively so (or much less than my Dell PC anyway). The Widescreen review mentioned elsewhere quotes 51dB and I can well believe it. Ceiling-mounting may help but it's by no means a quiet beast.

If I were Sony, I'd be lining up suppliers of quieter fans for the next batch, but who can wait?

3. Marcus Wood

Marcus Wood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I just found my old copy of the June 2000 Widescreen Review in which they tested the VPL-VW10HT. I was curious to see what noise level they recorded for the 10HT.

When it came out the 10HT was regarded as incredibly quiet for an LCD projector. Now, the HS10 seems to be regarded as rather noisy. But WSR measured the fan noise of the 10HT at 54dB!

They took the measurement at 12 inches above the projector, as with the HS10.

Go figure...