First Post - SD picture quality when I drop the CRT

CDI

Standard Member
Reaction score
Welcolme everyone!!!

Been waiting fot the right time to replace my 5 year old (but very good) lasest model Toshiba Picture frame 32 inch CRT TV (£1,700 when new)

Question I have is - since adding Virgin V+ XL package recently I noticed the picture quality on the Tosh improved dramatically (on SD of course)

I guess the V+ is doing some sort of up-scaling of SD???

I am looking at a new Panasonic G10 or V10 37 inch LCD (must be less than 900 wide for room reasons). Will the V+ box SD look great on the new LCD. Does it do a good job of up-scaling when viewed on an HD TV?

My guess is I will drop quality on SD and improve on Bluray PS3 + ther BBC HD on V+. Still looks a comprimise so I hope someone will enlighten me on the V+ SD (upscasled) picture quality on 1080p Pani 37 LCD

:hiya:

Welcolme everyone!!!

Been waiting fot the right time to replace my 5 year old (but very good) lasest model Toshiba Picture frame 32 inch CRT TV (£1,700 when new)

Question I have is - since adding Virgin V+ XL package recently I noticed the picture quality on the Tosh improved dramatically (on SD of course)

I guess the V+ is doing some sort of up-scaling of SD???

I am looking at a new Panasonic G10 or V10 37 inch LCD (must be less than 900 wide for room reasons). Will the V+ box SD look great on the new LCD. Does it do a good job of up-scaling when viewed on an HD TV?

My guess is I will drop quality on SD and improve on Bluray PS3 + ther BBC HD on V+. Still looks a comprimise so I hope someone will enlighten me on the V+ SD (upscasled) picture quality on 1080p Pani 37 LCD

:hiya:

Wot - no help for a newbie :lease:

Hi,CDI.

Its not a case of No help for a newbie,its more that few of us are likely to have experienced the transition that you suggest.

In general terms I think its fair to say that the S/D picture on LCD is "Different" to that of a CRT. Some say it is softer,yet brighter,others notice motion problems and some, with justification,comment on the Blacks being either not dark enough or even hollow so it looks like somebody put a plain black piece of paper over the dark scenes.
These issues don't apply to all sets and/or combinations of equipment,but generally an LCD picture takes a couple of days to get used to.

Regarding any improvement in the picture,then really its down to which piece of equipment does the scaling the best either the LCD or its source.

The Pansonic sets that you mention are generally well regarded.You could also check out these sites to gather expert opinion on other sets.

HDTV Reviews & Shootouts – Complete HDTVTest Archive

LCD & Plasma Review

Im sure that somebody else will be along soon to share their opinions.

Good Luck,

KH

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom