First Post - Replacing a really old HIFI system

vinylspinner

Novice Member
Mr room is roughly 7 foot by 19 foot. A fat "corridor" describes it best, as the walls are lined with many hundreds of LPs; CDs and books.

Current equipment is Linn Axis with Linn Basik Plus and old Shure cartridge; Quad 44 / 405; Monitor Audio MA4 series 2 speakers on stands; and a (recently) non-functioning Pioneer CD player.

I've got to that point where I feel I deserve, and can afford, to replace everything and start again.

Just so you know I'm not a complete dinosaur I do have a Denon HEOS-based system in the lounge and a Denon HEOS speaker in the kitchen, which I use for internet radio and Bluetooth streaming from my phone. HiFi it is not, however.

Very varied music tastes including a lot of Jazz and Classical, but I do want to hear my old prog rock albums at "realistic" levels now and again...

Could I please let you know what I am thinking of buying and ask for comments?

I'm attracted to the Technics SL-1500C turntable with built-in phono stage and auto-lift, the latter being future-proofing for when "dodderation" kicks in. Planning to put this with the Cambridge CXA81 (I will play some FLACs now and again) and Cambridge CXC. Not sure about speakers - current old MA4 S2s take up a lot of space - each one on its stand is roughly 3 foot x 1 foot x 1 foot. I'm looking at anything from Dali Oberon 5 to Fyne Audio F501 based on reviews.

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
Personally I would keep the Linn Axis and just treat it to a new cartridge. The Axis would be hard to beat today without spending £1500+ on a Clearaudio Concept or possibly a Rega Planar 6 and in its day was not far behind the legendary LP12. I had one with an AT VM95ML and it sounded great, if you want to go one better the VM540ML is a slight step up.

Have you factored in your budget selling on the 44/405, they go for good money these days, probably around £500 for the pair if in good condition.

Based on the parts you have outlined then do you have a budget of £1500ish for amp, cd and speakers plus the SL1500 at £900 so total around £2500. If you keep the Linn then this budget will get you a very nice set up for just amp, speakers, cd.

vinylspinner

Novice Member
Personally I would keep the Linn Axis and just treat it to a new cartridge. The Axis would be hard to beat today without spending £1500+ on a Clearaudio Concept or possibly a Rega Planar 6 and in its day was not far behind the legendary LP12. I had one with an AT VM95ML and it sounded great, if you want to go one better the VM540ML is a slight step up.

Have you factored in your budget selling on the 44/405, they go for good money these days, probably around £500 for the pair if in good condition.

Based on the parts you have outlined then do you have a budget of £1500ish for amp, cd and speakers plus the SL1500 at £900 so total around £2500. If you keep the Linn then this budget will get you a very nice set up for just amp, speakers, cd.
Thanks for your thoughts and quick reply Certainly food for thought

gava

Where are you in relation to the speakers? What distance and angle I mean?

Paul7777x

Considering the shape and dimensions of the room I’d only really consider these two amplifiers.

Tom from the shop above can arrange a home loan of the Lyngdorf

Or, if the budget is more curtailed then one of these.

Both will drive any speakers, and both have excellent room correction.

The Lyngdorfs RoomPerfect is the better of the two.

But DiracLive, as part of the Arcam, is also very good indeed, and at a mere grand is a superb bargain.

Either one will deal with what must be serious room issues with a space of that shape.

vinylspinner

Novice Member
Where are you in relation to the speakers? What distance and angle I mean?
The speakers would be at one (narrow) end of the room about 6 feet apart and I would be perhaps 10 to 12 feet away centrally in front of them. I believe you could calculate the angle from this information, as my old maths teacher might have said...

vinylspinner

Novice Member
Considering the shape and dimensions of the room I’d only really consider these two amplifiers.

Tom from the shop above can arrange a home loan of the Lyngdorf

Or, if the budget is more curtailed then one of these.

Both will drive any speakers, and both have excellent room correction.

The Lyngdorfs RoomPerfect is the better of the two.

But DiracLive, as part of the Arcam, is also very good indeed, and at a mere grand is a superb bargain.

Either one will deal with what must be serious room issues with a space of that shape.
I wasn't even aware of "room correction" but it does seem appealing... You are of course right that there are inevitably room issues with whatever I do

Paul7777x

I wasn't even aware of "room correction" but it does seem appealing... You are of course right that there are inevitably room issues with whatever I do

Might I suggest you have a good read about what RoomPerfect and Dirac Live can do?

If there was ever a room shape crying out for either of these awesome cures I’d say it’s yours. :smashin:

And the difference it makes is much bigger and better than any dac, amp, or speaker upgrade, simply because all of those will still be fighting the room.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom