First Post - be kind !

geniusworkin

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello people,

hope you're all well,

I been browsing the forum for a fair few months now, finally decided to go out and get myself a camera. Bought myself the 40D due to great value for money after cashback!

Just taken a few quick pictures, any assistance/ critic would be much appreciated!

Edited them using Photoshop Express, quite good.

To check colour reproduction, and definition.

Another, apologies for the socks !

Finally, something I took whilst waiting for the 40D. Just taken with a crappy 3.2M point and shoot.

:thumbsup:

Unfortunately the HTML tags you are using don't work here :(

Use the tags instead :)

edit: you might want to link to larger versions as well, those are mighty small :(

me neither, :mad:

im working at it!

use the following without the *

http://api.photoshop.com/home_dc3b844117a044bbb1e5bd457694bf52/adobe-px-thumbnails/dbfc21b69a0e4369bf567a5ce5c7db71/256.jpg[/img*]

which will show

[img]http://api.photoshop.com/home_dc3b844117a044bbb1e5bd457694bf52/adobe-px-thumbnails/dbfc21b69a0e4369bf567a5ce5c7db71/256.jpg

finally updated! all links working and no violations to the T&C's. :clap:

Big thanks to Steve for his help.

Tell me what you think,

gw

Hello people,

hope you're all well,

I been browsing the forum for a fair few months now, finally decided to go out and get myself a camera. Bought myself the 40D due to great value for money after cashback!

Just taken a few quick pictures, any assistance/ critic would be much appreciated!
You have got a great semi-professional camera. What lens do you have?

Next thing is to work out you favourite types of photography. Personally, I like taking portraits and pictures of flowers - so I invested in a dedicated flash (for portraits) and a macro lens for the flowers.

Your picture of the Dandelion could be improved in two ways ...
  1. The subject flower is too small - sometimes you can crop a picture to make it better.
  2. The background looks better if out of focus which is done by using a wide aperture.
An example from one of my pictures this afternoon ...

Lens wise i have a few - Sigma 28-300, Canon 17-85, Canon 50 'nifty fifty' en route. Im looking for a 10-22 or similar wide angle lens.

Yes, I love macro photography and your picture of the Daffodil looks great. What macro would you recommend ?

Yes, i have taken a few where the background is out of focus. With the dandelion photo, I wanted to capture the definition of the grass blades. :smashin:

Thanks for the advice, :thumbsup:

gw

Lens wise i have a few - Sigma 28-300, Canon 17-85, Canon 50 'nifty fifty' en route. Im looking for a 10-22 or similar wide angle lens.

Yes, I love macro photography and your picture of the Daffodil looks great. What macro would you recommend ?

Yes, i have taken a few where the background is out of focus. With the dandelion photo, I wanted to capture the definition of the grass blades. :smashin:

Thanks for the advice, :thumbsup:

gw
You certainly have a good selection of lenses. If you are looking for a 10-20 lens then this implies you like to photograph landscape and interiors.

Macro lenses : a lot of people like the Tamron 90 and the Sigma 105. Then there is the Canon MP-E 65mm 1:2.8 which does up to 5x magnification if you really want to shoot tiny objects.

Yes, my intention is to shoot landscape/ architecture so the 10-22 will be my lens of choice.

Macro wise, ill have a look into those lens. The Canon seems good.

thanks,

gw

A few from this morning,

Excuse the photo subjects, we don't have a great range of flowers in London gardens!

An aerial (sort of!) shot of a hedge above my pond.

Another one, I love the definition.

And another.

A bit Christmassy, :)

gw

I really like the first of this second batch. Very nice composition and I love the fade-to-black and DoF.
Well done.

I too like the fade to black of that leaf one. Seems a bit noisy though. What ISO were you shooting at? The focus point in the purple flowers one is on the extreme right of the frame. May have been better to bring itinto the shot more.
Like the robin one.

denno, thanks for the kind words.

That shot was taken using the 'Auto' setting, im experimenting with the different modes and learning alot. Its my first 'proper' camera so ISO settings, white balance etc are all new to me. Im reading up online (using the Sticky) and playing with the camera to see what changes ISO speeds etc make.

That purple picture was wierd, pre-crop the focus was everywhere. The extreme right focused well, as well as the flower to the left of the main one.

Its all a very fast learning curve, the advice is helping. :thumbsup:

thanks,

gw

Denno,

RE the photo:

Exposure: 1/200
ISO Speeds: ISO-500
F5.6

Should the ISO be lower ?

Well I'm no expert but from your aperture and shutter speed it seems the 500ISO was almost necessary, definitely helpful. And certainly not so high that it explains the 'apparent' noise. I say apparent cause based on your numbers I'm wondering if my diagnosis is bunkum.
Have you run any noise reduction over these shots?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom