First Post. Advice On Setup

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by nick3941sd, Jun 19, 2015.

1. nick3941sd

nick3941sd
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all I am new to this community but have been an online forum user for many years (cars, motorcycles, pwc etc). Yesterday I had a power surge disable my home theater system and am in the market to do this one the "right way". My last system was one of the SONY boxed systems that is a BR player, surround sound, apps etc. What ever the power surge was seemed to have traveled through the HDMI Cable. On top of the system being disabled (still turns on but no functions) my TV lost its #1 HDMI Input (others still work) and my DirecTV box HMDI output is dead as well.

I almost went with another similar SONY or Samsung boxed system but I figured I would take a ride to my local AV store.
    What they recommended to set me up with was the:
    Onkyo TX-NR636 and a Polk 5 speaker & sub kit. I do not have the model number for the speakers but the total came to 800.00 before tax.

I do like the NR636 but also came across the SONY STR-DN1060 as well as the Polk Blackstone TL250 which currently come with the Polk PSW111 for free on Crutchfield. This setup comes to $1050.

Items that will be used with this system is my PS4 and DirecTV. I would like a system that would stay "up with the times" for a reasonable period. I do like having the WiFi apps but is not the most important thing since the PS4 will be hooked up to it. I read that the Onkyo does have more apps to offer. I would also like something that will be 4K ready for if/when the time comes to replace my main TV. I plan on using the 2nd channel for some outdoor speakers so a system that can be controlled by a cell phone app would be convenient as well.

So right now from my own shopping around I am between the Onkyo TX-NR636, NR737 and SONY STR-DN1060 for the receiver and Polk TL250 & PSW111. What receiver would you guys recommend for this setup. I am also open to other receiver/speaker combos if you have something else in mind.

If you made it this far in my post I apologize for the length and adding yet another "What should I" thread. I know these posts on my other forums drive the experienced community crazy (including myself) but now I am the one doing it.

Thanks everyone in advance.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
  2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    Considering your budget the 636 or 1060 would be more consistent quality wise and give you enough left for the speakers. In fact both these probably deserve better speakers than the ones you appear to be looking at to make the most from them. As a general guide you can spend 2 to 3 times the rrp of the AVR on the speakers to get the best from it.
    As far as 4K is concerned you may need to wait until the next release of AVRs for full compatibility. The so called current 4K compatible receivers may not be fully compatible with UHD when they are released later in the year. So if you think you really want to go 4K with a 4K player then you would be better waiting for the new receivers to be released that will be fully compatible.
    There is not going to be much between the Sony and Onkyo in terms of quality so try to have a listen to both and let your own ears decide which is the best for you.

3. nick3941sd

nick3941sd
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What kind of speakers would you recommend. Looking at other speaker bundles I came across the Bose Acoustimass 6 and 10 series, Polk TL350, Cambridge Audio Minx S215 V2, 315 V2, 215 V3 and Definitive Technology. Now some of these are pushing the budget more than others but if its worth it in the long run I can manage.

Would I be better off buying the speakers separate and making a bundle on my own?

Thanks

4. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    I would ignore the Bose options as they are overpriced and do not perform well. If budget is tight then getting an AVR and a pair of front speakers could be a good option. How much of your budget is going on the AVR at the moment? I am guessing the AVRs are around the $400 mark with the speakers being another $400 or so. If this is correct then spending $400 on just the front pair and then buying the other speakers as funds allow will give better overall results in the long term.

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,573
    First priority here may be to look at your lightning protection - the usual pathway is in through your cable or Sat box which will then allow the signal to propagate over the low voltage (HDMI) connectors and will fry HDMI Input sockets.

If it's happened once it can happen again.

Joe

6. nick3941sd

nick3941sd
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As in surge protectors the equipment is covered that way, are HDMI surge protectors available? The incident occurred while installing a timer switch in my home. I replaced a standard toggle switch with a Honeywell timer switch for outdoor lighting. Had the power shut off for that area. Got the switch wired up and turned on power before setting it to ensure proper function. Once I saw it was working I went to set it in the wall while the power was on. Due to this timer switch being a lot thicker and deeper than the toggle, space got tight. As I pushed it into the wall, the ground moved over and made contact with the switch next to it causing a spark and the breaker to trip and well as my HDMI and former theater system issues.

7. nick3941sd

nick3941sd
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I have read that about Bose as well. Not that I am a Polk fanboy but due to the size of the market, Polk and Klipsch are the ones I have been researching the most lately (which has become time consuming). Maybe its because they are a system I heard in the AV store, idk. But what the feeling on this setup?

AVR: Onkyo TX-NR646
    Front Pair: Polk TSx330T
    Center: Polk TSx250C
    Rears: Polk RTi A3
    Sub: Polk DSW PRO 550wi

I picked that AVR because it seems to have what I'm looking for long term and the full 4K compatibility. I'm not planning on a 4K TV in the immediate future but once gaming systems and cable providers really start going in that direction I will probably make the switch.

Ive read pros/cons on Polk subs. I did list this one though because of the incentive on Crutchfield. In the end this setup is about 2000 piecing it together from different vendors.

8. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    Are you sure the avr is fully compliant with 4k uhd? Current so called 4k avrs are not as compatible as you may hope. It needs 2.0 hdmi and 2.2 hdpc.

9. nick3941sd

nick3941sd
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe so from what I read. It states "HDMI & HDCP 2.2 for 4K UltraHD" & "The latest HDMI specification and HDCP 2.2 compatibility support the latest formats and technologies planned for Hollywood content. This latest HDMI spec offers a significant increase in bandwidth (up to 18Gbps) to support new features such as [email protected]/60 (2160p), which is 4 times the clarity of 1080p/60 video resolution, and 4:4:4 color space."