First PJ exceitement turning to frustration ...

UrbanT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I've been excited at the prospect of getting my first PJ. It will sit in a converted garage.

I have been looking at upgrading the DVD player anyway and the Denon A11 looks a fantastic machine with very few (if any) faults, plays SACD/DVDA and is relatively future proof for a short while.

However, trying to pair a suitable PJ is proving a 'mare. The spec I would like is:

. short throw lens (7ft width screen from 12 ft approx)
. DVI input to take advantage of Denon
. 16:9 native
. quiet

I originally thought that I could demo and use a Z2 or Panny 500, but it appears neither of these accept the DVI from the Denon. After reading hundreds of threads on this forum, and checking stats on H56's, Benq 8700's etc etc they all seem to be a problem. Either the throw is too long, or they're non DVI, or there some other problem.

I am really looking for the help of the regular PJ users to make a short list of PJ's to view. I can afford to spend more on the PJ than the cost of the Sanyo/Panny if necessary

The PJ won't be needed for around 2 months so if there's anything on the horizon worth considering, that info would also be useful

Thanks for any help.

Chris

Hi Chris,

I have a Runco CL-710 which for a 7ft wide screen has a throw distance of 117"-134". By all accounts it's based on the BenQ 8700.

Cheers,

Colin

I would have to say the hs20 if your looking for an lcd projecter.
I have the hs10 and im over da moon. And the hs20 even quiter. Not that i think it matters that much once your used to it.

The philips bogart looks interesting for the price£1500 (DLP carefull of rainbows)
then above them you have the three mid priced bad boys,
Ht1100, sim domino 20 and infocus 5600,
all worth a look at.

there is rumour of pioneer dvi type fixes, it seems plausible that denon may well follow suit. Maybe worth hanging about

ad

Thanks for your thoughts.

Looking at some other posts last night, it seems the Pioneer 868 is compatible with the Z2 and Panny 500. This combo would be a combined cost closer to £2k, rather than £5k for other options.

As I'm not yet ready to buy, I think I'll wait to see if Denon issue a fix, otherwise it may well be an 868 and z2 purchase.

Thanks Samir.

Whilst I'm on the subject, is there a dealer in Surrey/Hampshire/Sussex area that has a good range of these PJ's on demo?

I have recently bought a Denon A11 for use with my Z2 projector having previously used the Pioneer 668 dvd player.
The A11 is superb, it certainly gives a great picture using component input to the pj. The picture is very detailed and vibrant plus there's lots of controls where you can tweak the video output ( ie. brightness, contrast, etc...)
The Z2 will not work with the DVI connection from the A11 but I have read on the www.avsforum that there will be a fix for this (don't know when though).

Chris,

I may have misunderstood, but I think you might be approaching this the wrong way around..... if you're looking to get into a projector, I'd be more concened with the display capabilities of the projector, rather than trying to find a "match" for a particular dvd player. I would recommend that you consider using a hcpc to drive the projector rather than a high-end dvd player (provided you pick a projector that can accept 1:1 pixel matching - the AE300 can't, for instance) - even then a basic radeon-based hcpc will provide superior dvd playback than practically any other player - the recent entry of DVI based player notwithstanding - the ability to match to a variety of resolutions is unrivalled. It's also a far more economical option.

Sean G.

Sean,

You know I considered this option and then dismissed it, on the grounds I only really needed one PC in the house, and the spec of that one is high enough to be a noisy lump! (so useless for HCPC)

However, it occurs that I could easily build a simple, good quality quiet HCPC and keep the 757i for DVDA/SACD duties.

I'm assuming there would be no DVI compatability issues with a Panny 500 or Z2?

Might have a quick visit to the HCPC forum and do some searching around :)

Originally posted by theritz
Chris,

I may have misunderstood, but I think you might be approaching this the wrong way around..... if you're looking to get into a projector, I'd be more concened with the display capabilities of the projector, rather than trying to find a "match" for a particular dvd player. I would recommend that you consider using a hcpc to drive the projector rather than a high-end dvd player (provided you pick a projector that can accept 1:1 pixel matching - the AE300 can't, for instance) - even then a basic radeon-based hcpc will provide superior dvd playback than practically any other player - the recent entry of DVI based player notwithstanding - the ability to match to a variety of resolutions is unrivalled. It's also a far more economical option.

Sean G.

Originally posted by UrbanT
Thanks Samir.

Whilst I'm on the subject, is there a dealer in Surrey/Hampshire/Sussex area that has a good range of these PJ's on demo?

not sure where Ivojo are based but it might be worth the trip, to see a few of your choices.

Chris,

A hcpc solely for regular dvd playback doesn't have to be noisey at all or expensive for that matter, a Duron based machine with a Zalman cooler, Radeon without a fan, a quiet HD (Seagate Barracuda is a regular recommendation tho' I've seen recent posts on the hcpc side about another quiet model - can't remeber the name....) and spend some money on a quiet PSU - see hcpc side for any number of sagas on that front. A regionfree dvd drive (or one which can be flashed), some software (Powerdvd4/5, Powerstrip (for custom resolutions), Regionkiller and you're away. Sound can be a card or onboard Spdif out.

This can be built for very little money by comparison to high end dvd players, particularly if you pick stuff up secondhand - overclockers forum is a good place to lurk if you're looking for bits and pieces - or our own forum as you well know - I have a Pioneer slot dvd drive, regionfree that I picked up from mate for £16, a mobo, duron 600 and 128mb that I'll get from the forum here (£30), a 6Gb HD I've lying in my cupboard, a Radeon 7000 64Mb with dvi is about £26, a 9200 is £47........ soundcard is a spare in the cupboard (another £15)....... remote is £20 from ATI.....any case would do to start with...... my spare hcpc is on it's way...........

Hcpc's designed for vid capture, playback using Dscaler, HiDef playback are a different proposition...................

Oooops, went on a bit...... (!) shouldn't be posting so late....

Sean G.

Originally posted by theritz
Chris,

A hcpc solely for regular dvd playback doesn't have to be noisey at all or expensive for that matter, a Duron based machine with a Zalman cooler, Radeon without a fan, a quiet HD (Seagate Barracuda is a regular recommendation tho' I've seen recent posts on the hcpc side about another quiet model - can't remeber the name....) and spend some money on a quiet PSU - see hcpc side for any number of sagas on that front. A regionfree dvd drive (or one which can be flashed), some software (Powerdvd4/5, Powerstrip (for custom resolutions), Regionkiller and you're away. Sound can be a card or onboard Spdif out.

This can be built for very little money by comparison to high end dvd players, particularly if you pick stuff up secondhand - overclockers forum is a good place to lurk if you're looking for bits and pieces - or our own forum as you well know - I have a Pioneer slot dvd drive, regionfree that I picked up from mate for £16, a mobo, duron 600 and 128mb that I'll get from the forum here (£30), a 6Gb HD I've lying in my cupboard, a Radeon 7000 64Mb with dvi is about £26, a 9200 is £47........ soundcard is a spare in the cupboard (another £15)....... remote is £20 from ATI.....any case would do to start with...... my spare hcpc is on it's way...........

Hcpc's designed for vid capture, playback using Dscaler, HiDef playback are a different proposition...................

Oooops, went on a bit...... (!) shouldn't be posting so late....

Sean G.

Sean, I've started a new thread on the HCPC forum, but, are you serious? I want POWER! Suddenly, the prospect of playing Pro Evo 3 on a 7ft screen has upped my spec considerably. All I have to do is figure out how it all works :)

Chris,

For gaming the recipe changes dramatically.......... the hcpc forum will, no doubt, give you lots of advice.... my gaming (what little I do) is PS2 and GC, so I'm afraid I'm only the king of cheap dvd playing hcpcs !!

Regards,

Sean.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom