• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

First Photo Onto AVF

stevebb

Hello Everybody - I’ve been pretty much a lurker on the forums here for a while, watching and listening to the advice and discussions on DSLR skills and techniques.

I am finally getting to know my 400d better and now have the lenses i believe will do me for a while - Sigma 70-300, 18-125 & 10-20.

I don’t really know about ISO, Aperture etc but am reading the manual and other books.

My first task is to understand exposures and as such saw a post yesterday about HDR which really interested me. I got the demo of photomatix yesterday and was so pleased i bought it.

I used the AEB setting on the camera popped up over the side fence before the sun went down and got the shot below after processing with photomatix.

I was blown away TBH and i plan try some tripod based photos.

I promise to post as much as possible :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/1221153969/

Cheers

Steve

stevegreen

Distinguished Member
Another one enters the fray!! :clap:

The only thing I would say is don't rely too much on the software to get the image you want........get to know the camera first, this will give you a lot more staisfaction IMO

stevebb

Another one enters the fray!! :clap:

The only thing I would say is don't rely too much on the software to get the image you want........get to know the camera first, this will give you a lot more staisfaction IMO

Cheers, Your'e right although 180 pages in the manual did make me wince. :)

Im used to the auto feature and yesterday was my first RAW shot too.

stevegreen

Distinguished Member
My advice would be to move from the Auto settings to the Av setting and mess around with depth of field and see how different apertures affect shutter speeds. From that you will learn the connection between the two. Then, try photographing moving subjects using the Tv mode and that will enable you to see what shutter speed has what effect on the image........then you can move on to shooting at different ISO settings which is the last one to learn about IMO. Use the manual to confirm your thoughts and to point you in the right direction. Also have a look at getting this book too :)

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom