First person shooters or Third person shooters??

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by thelegendofyrag, Jan 30, 2009.

1. thelegendofyrag

thelegendofyrag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    What do you all prefer?

I don't really play many 3rd person games anymore (only fifa if that counts) but even in that I change the view to the normal tele view. I do prefer the 1st person games i feel more in control.

Or do you think they are both completely different to each other and enjoy them both??

2. CRZombie

CRZombie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Until I got my 360, I swore how much I hated FPS shooters and how i'd never like them...

Now, the polar opposite
    I was playing RE5 demo and I was like "if i'm going to be so slow compared to the 'zombies' it should be fps atleast"

3. mattclarkie

mattclarkie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Real guitars don't have strings, they have 5 colou
    Ratings:
    +934
    FPS works much better for most games, although I don't think something like Assassins Creed would.

I often feel that GoW would work better if the main fighting was FPS, but I don't think they could properly integrate the cover system, although R6V/R6V2 did a good job transitioning into cover.

4. smallclanger

smallclanger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +463
    Am I the only one who doesn't even think about this topic? I play games I enjoy. For instance quite enjoyed Assasins Creed and only occured to me after reading the previous post that it is a third person view.

I love FPS like Half life, fallout, oblivion, COD. But also enjoyed playing Just cause, Gears etc.

I don't really understand how people can say they 'hate' FPS and prefer third person. I can understand people that hate shooters and prefer sport or strategy games etc.

5. thelegendofyrag

thelegendofyrag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    i'm not saying i hate either. I just prefer first peron like i said it feels as though im more in controll.

I haven't played assasins creed although want to play the demo. I guess different games play differently.

It's like racing games i prefer to use the bonnet view, but others use the behind car view. It's all about peoples preferences.

6. shagaboopon

shagaboopon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +367
    FPS doesn't suffer annoying camera issues that make a train wreck of many third person games. It doesn't make any difference to me as long as the games good in all honesty.

7. Chrisoldinho

Chrisoldinho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    FPS everytime if it's a shooter, other games like Fable where it's an RPG 3rd person for me is best as I can see more of the environment :thumbsup:

8. runam0k

runam0k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Even most TPS switch to FPS when aiming. FPS all the way for me, although certain things - like taking cover - don't really work in FPS.

9. Ico.

Ico.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +498
    Depends on the Game but I like to be able to see my character and there relationship to the surroundings... ala Gears and I feel I get a better allround view as compared to some fps's "focused" view point.

Most fps's I'm never sure if I'm in cover or not... and don't ask me to jump over gaps... never liked that in Half life 2... although I kinda like mirrors edge... I just don't know what to like anymore.:suicide:

All that said though don't really have a preference as long as it works for the game...:thumbsup:

10. Redline

Redline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +341
    The Tomb Raider games are the only 3rd person shooters i like. TR Underworld IMO was the best so far. Just wouldn't be the same if it was first person, for 2 reasons.....:)

11. BigStu1972

BigStu1972

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,901
    Some FPS like COD give me motion sickness:eek: but I'm ok with GRAW and RV62:confused:. I used to love the old Conflict series which was 3rd person.
    Taking this a step further, when you play racing games do you have an "in Car" view or a 3rd person view from above. For me its "in car" all the way as you get the best sense of speed

12. thelegendofyrag

thelegendofyrag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Agree with that always has worked well with Tomb Raider.

It always does benefit a RPG like you say you can see more of the environment :thumbs:

13. simuk84

simuk84

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    For me, first person shooters are what PCs do best so I never play them on my 360 and anyway I wouldn't be able to aim for **** using a control pad, I don't know how people are able to be good with them. Keyboard and mouse is the only option for me in these games. I tend to stick to the 360 for games where precise aiming isn't necessary.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2009
  14. Ico.

Ico.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +498
    I used to think like this... after a while though I got used to it and in the end it's not something I think about to much anymore. There are some great fps's on the 360 and everyone is forced to use the same control method so I'm not at any real disadvantage... not sure why I lose so much though if this is the case.:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

15. kav

kav
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,816
    Someone had a really funny comment here before about why there were no second person shooters. Perhaps the market wouldn't be very big for a game where you use the controller while a voice-over tells you what you're doing.

"You are running into cover. You are being chased by Nazis. You are firing back, but their numbers are greater. You have been wounded by gunfire. You are dead." :D

My favoured gametype is probably FPS, but it doesn't bother me greatly. It would never factor in the decision-making process on whether or not a game was for me. In fact, some TPS, like Gears and Dead Space, the character looks so cool that it would be a shame if it was hidden in a FPS view.

I believe Gears was originally conceived as a FPS, but they made it a TPS because they were so proud of their character models.

16. Discombobulate

Discombobulate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +618
    vote for third person perspective for me.

mainly because i'm a wimp and feel sick when playing from first person perspective.

17. Ang12

Ang12
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Loved GOW and BIA Hells Highway but COD3 left me cold so, for me anway, it all depends on the game.