First PC build for 10 years, some advice needed.

McCol

I used to build my own and friends PC's around 10 years ago, havnt built one since as been mainly using laptops.

Couple of years ago I bought a Dell Inspiron, mainly to use for a bit gaming and media type stuff. now looking to upgrade and could do with a bit of advice.

The CPU in the Dell is a Quad Q6600, I've added a Nvidia 9800gts and a Asus Essence soundcard.

My plan was to go with a new case and power supply, motherboard to use the q6600. My thinking is that I dont need a high spec gaming system, just something I can plug into the TV and Amp that I use to use as a bit of a media hub and some gaming.

Couple of questions on this, I'm assuming that by sticking with the q6600 and choosing a 775 socket that I would still have upgrade options in the future on the cpu? Also, I have 2x500gb Hdd in the Dell, one of which contains my windows vista(no disc came with the system), If I installed the drive into the new motherboard would the windows still work?

Also any advice on a good motherboard with HDMI out would be much appreciated.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Couple of questions on this, I'm assuming that by sticking with the q6600 and choosing a 775 socket that I would still have upgrade options in the future on the cpu?
Not really, Intel haven't developed any new processor designs for socket 775 since the release of the first i7s in 2008 so while they're still available and they may release some marginally faster/lower power chips as the production process matures further you're essentially not going to get anything significantly faster than a Q6600 in socket 775.

Also, I have 2x500gb Hdd in the Dell, one of which contains my windows vista(no disc came with the system), If I installed the drive into the new motherboard would the windows still work?
It's possible, but even if it does it's likely to be unstable. So I'd advise a fresh install of windows, especially if you want to use it as a media centre.

with reguards to windows.

you should be VERY lucky if it will.

you see the drivers will be set for your old hardware, the registry values will be for the old hardware as well.

so its very rare you can take out a hdd from 1 computer with a windows installation and put it into a new build without a system disk. at least if you had a system disk you could to a repair install so it could adjust the drivers.

but your going to be better off doing a fresh installation.

McCol

Thanks for the replies.

Had a feeling that would be the case with Windows but just thought I'd confirm. Will probably buy windows 7.

On the CPU issue, is there much mileage in sticking with the 775 socket, I thought I could use some of the higher end quad cpu's and the extreme cpu's.

harkinsteven

Standard Member
You could always overclock the cpu if you comfortable doing that sort of thing. Extra performance for free. Just make sure you have a decent cooler.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
On the CPU issue, is there much mileage in sticking with the 775 socket, I thought I could use some of the higher end quad cpu's and the extreme cpu's.
Giant roundup: 168 Intel and AMD processors! (page 1: Introduction) - BeHardware

Even the top end QX9770 is only about 50% faster. The Q6600 is fine but if you want some reasonable upgrade potential you're better off looking elsewhere, intel are releasing a new socket (LGA 1155) with their new processor design (sandy bridge) at the start of next year so if this is a big priority it may be worth waiting for that.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom