First PC Build - Feedback Wanted

So I'm planning on building my first PC, I've got some knowledge of replacing PC parts but never a full build.

My intention was to build an all purpose rig that can handle gaming (CoD 4, Diablo 3 etc.) and get me through the next few years as I don't think I'll be having a lot of money to spend on upgrading a PC at Uni.

I was looking to spend around £500 so I could buy the parts straight away but what I've got comes to just over £600 currently so I'll be looking to buy some now then the rest when I get paid.

List of prospective parts:

CPU: Intel E8400 £128.21 Scan

GFX: Inno3D Nvidia GeForce GTX 260 FreezerX2 £129.99 Ebuyer

HDD: 500Gb Seagate Barracuda £43.22 Scan

PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular £70.84 CCL

Case: Cooler Master 690 £63.86 MicroDirect

MoBo: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R £102.06 Ebuyer

RAM: OCZ 4GB ddr2 1066 Platinum Memory CL5 £44.13 Ebuyer

DVD: Samsung SH-D163B-BEB 48x CD 16x DVD £12.18 Scan

Wireless: D-Link AirPlus-G DWL-G510 £16.33 Ebuyer

(PSU & Case prices include shipping)

Would really like some feedback on the parts chosen and whether there's any alternatives I could be looking at (cheaper ones if possible :D )

Cheers guys!

Last edited:

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
If you want to keep it for a few years then you may regret going for a dual-core, the E8400 is technically the fastest currently but it doesn't make much difference at the higher normal resolutions because most games are GPU-limited and in three or four years time when things will be CPU limited games may be using quad-cores. But then they may not and the E8400 will be better.

You can probably knock £30 off the cost off the power supply and £20 off the cost of the motherboard also.

Have managed to find a couple sites cheaper than what is listed above, bringing the total down about £20 altogether.

Are there any quad cores in a similar price range that you would recommend I look into?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom