First open backed headphones - looking for opinions on which to go for

gubar

Hi,
I'd like to buy my first pair of open back headphones. I listen to a lot of music, game on a PS4 (and eventually PS5) and watch a lot of movies. In all these cases, I use Denon Ceol n9 to output to my current headphones, which are Sennheiser HD 429.

I'd like to go open back, since I like the idea of feeling less closed in, and generally, I've been wanting to upgrade from my old HD 429 for a while. In normal circumstance I'd like to go to a shop to demo some, but since we're in full lockdown I'll just take a punt after doing some reasearch and sourcing some opinions online :)

I'm not at all an audiophile, though I do listen to a lot of music (anything from electronic to classic rock, hip hop to country) via CD and spotify connect on the Denon, though I'd like to invest in some HD music in the future if the new headphones made that worth while. Watching movies and gaming is also important to me.

I've got a few options I'm considering, and would like to keep it under £180. I've been looking into these:

Sennheiser HD560s
hifiman he400i 2020
Philips Fidelio X2HR

They seem to all get pretty good reviews. Some online users seem to have strong opinions for one, or against one.

Does anyone have any thoughts on these 3? Or have better suggestions?

Thanks,

g

rousetafarian

Hi,
I'd like to buy my first pair of open back headphones. I listen to a lot of music, game on a PS4 (and eventually PS5) and watch a lot of movies. In all these cases, I use Denon Ceol n9 to output to my current headphones, which are Sennheiser HD 429.

I'd like to go open back, since I like the idea of feeling less closed in, and generally, I've been wanting to upgrade from my old HD 429 for a while. In normal circumstance I'd like to go to a shop to demo some, but since we're in full lockdown I'll just take a punt after doing some reasearch and sourcing some opinions online :)

I'm not at all an audiophile, though I do listen to a lot of music (anything from electronic to classic rock, hip hop to country) via CD and spotify connect on the Denon, though I'd like to invest in some HD music in the future if the new headphones made that worth while. Watching movies and gaming is also important to me.

I've got a few options I'm considering, and would like to keep it under £180. I've been looking into these:

Sennheiser HD560s
hifiman he400i 2020
Philips Fidelio X2HR

They seem to all get pretty good reviews. Some online users seem to have strong opinions for one, or against one.

Does anyone have any thoughts on these 3? Or have better suggestions?

Thanks,

g
Hi

Not necessarily a better suggestion but one to add to the shortlist when I had similar needs to your own.

I took delivery of my first pair of open backs last week, AKG K712 Pro and am very, very happy with them. I then added a Dragonfly DAC for my home/portable set up.

gubar

Hi,
thanks for the suggestion, I will look into those. Can I check - you're only needing the DAC to drive them when using portable (mobile phone?) set up? From what I understand my denon should be able to drive any of these types just fine, but want to double check.
Thanks again
g

rousetafarian

Hi,
thanks for the suggestion, I will look into those. Can I check - you're only needing the DAC to drive them when using portable (mobile phone?) set up? From what I understand my denon should be able to drive any of these types just fine, but want to double check.
Thanks again
g
The DAC was just an option I chose as ‘a nice to have’ and I’ll flip it from my Mac mini to iPhone/iPad etc

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom