First OLED

GBUK

Standard Member
Just a quick Thanks to all on here who spend a lot of time researching products posting the results and helping People like me who just want a set up that is acceptable.
Just bought my first OLED LG C1 48. I can honestly say it is the best picture I have ever had. Not only that but it connects to all my other stuff with no fuss at all. My old Samsung js8500 had been a good tv this past 5 yrs. but had a few odd issues with connection and reasonably good blacks and some great colours.
I've spent the last 6 Months reading reviews on everything I could. My main concern was how good are they in dark scenes, how bad is the banding? Every LED/QLED had something that wasn't giving me a good feeling. OLED kept leaping out as did screen burn! but that was about it. Went to my local RS saw the LG C1 OLED and was blown away by the picture, it is just on another level. I was very tempted by Samsung QLED but, they seem to be having issues with sound dropping out. The picture was incredibly good though.
I do not have an issue with brightness with the LG. We live in a small [ dark] Cottage so I dread to think what the QLED would have been like.
So, a big thanks to all who have helped me on my journey. Do I have any regrets yes! I should have got a 55 instead of a 48 ! I am now trying to persuade the missus that the 48 LG would look much better in the Bedroom than our old Samsung. I can then get an XBOX X and would not be getting under her feet.
Of course, once you start upgrading one thing you start looking at the rest of your kit. I purchased a Panasonic 820. which is fantastic. My Denon 2200 is next on my list of things to get. So, looking at Denon av 1700. And now everything is Dolby sound/ picture some Atmos speakers. OH, and loads of 4k uhd films.
I hope you are all pleased with yourselves you have cost me a fortune! Totally not worried about screen burn.

blackhammer

Thanks for this, I'm thinking of dipping into the OLED world as well.

Did you consider the Sony A9 48" by any chance? Think it's between the LG and Sony for me.

GBUK

Standard Member
Thanks for this, I'm thinking of dipping into the OLED world as well.

Did you consider the Sony A9 48" by any chance? Think it's between the LG and Sony for me.
Hi I looked at Sony A9 48. They had one in RS but picked LG as they seem to have far fewer issues than all the others. Very tempted by Panasonic jz 1000. Again LG delivered the best in overall performance and features.
I am very impressed with everything on it. My Wife however says Picture is blurred! I don't know why as it is the best TV we have ever had. I am looking on forums to see if others have this issue and, there are a few who say the same thing!
I now want to go with a 55 inch and put the 48 in Bedroom. But after my Wife's views on it I don't know what to get. I am looking at Panasonic JZ 1500 or LG G1.
Good luck with it.

iwb100

Distinguished Member
Hi I looked at Sony A9 48. They had one in RS but picked LG as they seem to have far fewer issues than all the others. Very tempted by Panasonic jz 1000. Again LG delivered the best in overall performance and features.
I am very impressed with everything on it. My Wife however says Picture is blurred! I don't know why as it is the best TV we have ever had. I am looking on forums to see if others have this issue and, there are a few who say the same thing!
I now want to go with a 55 inch and put the 48 in Bedroom. But after my Wife's views on it I don't know what to get. I am looking at Panasonic JZ 1500 or LG G1.
Good luck with it.
Have you consider sending your wife to specsavers?

On a serious note some people are more susceptible to motion blur than others and it may be you had interpolation turned on (or it was indefeatable) on your old TV. Try using trumotion settings to see if she is happier. You will of course introduce the soap opera effect which I cannot personally tolerate.

My guess is that when she says blurred she is referring to motion blur. My neighbour is a big sports fan and had a Samsung TV for years with interpolation on for watching footy. Upgraded to an OLED this year and initially was very underwhelmed as the motion was just blurry compared to what he expected. Even though in theory it’s better on OLED he had to Jack up the trumotion settings to recreate what it was like on his Samsung. And even then I don’t think LGs interpolation is as good as Samsungs. Anyway I love it for football with no interpolation but people are different.

GBUK

Standard Member
Like I said I think the Picture is very good. My Wife agrees 4k stuff is good. I wired up our old Samsung last night and asked her which picture is best? She said LG! Actually I could not believe how poor the picture looked on the Samsung!
Trumotion is off so I will look into that? I don't watch much Sport. Netflix and Prime for Movies. Yes I know Netflix quality can vary from time to time. Recently purchased Panasonic 820? All good there. I have BT TV [No Sky] and have always been happy with the picture. She watches a lot of ITV which is probably one of the worst for picture quality.

iwb100

Distinguished Member
Like I said I think the Picture is very good. My Wife agrees 4k stuff is good. I wired up our old Samsung last night and asked her which picture is best? She said LG! Actually I could not believe how poor the picture looked on the Samsung!
Trumotion is off so I will look into that? I don't watch much Sport. Netflix and Prime for Movies. Yes I know Netflix quality can vary from time to time. Recently purchased Panasonic 820? All good there. I have BT TV [No Sky] and have always been happy with the picture. She watches a lot of ITV which is probably one of the worst for picture quality.
Is she watching ITV HD? In SD it will look awful.

blackhammer

Have you decided yet?
I think I'm leaning towards LG even though I've been a Sony man for way too many years to remember.

The problem is, as hard as I try, I just don't have space in my lounge for anything bigger than 43" so it almost makes the decision for me.

iwb100

Distinguished Member
I think I'm leaning towards LG even though I've been a Sony man for way too many years to remember.

The problem is, as hard as I try, I just don't have space in my lounge for anything bigger than 43" so it almost makes the decision for me.
There are no OLEDs smaller than 48” on the market right now?

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom