Question First oled : LG C8 vs panasonic FZ802

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by Voadd, May 14, 2018.

1. Voadd

Voadd
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I live in France and I am looking to make my first purchase of an oled TV in 55 ".
    I watch lot of movies and TV.

I hesitate between two models, that I can have good price:
    - LG C8: new model, seems close to the B7 model with some improvements.
    I had seen the B7 in store and I found the image too saturated/sharp (maybe because the TV was not calibrated).
    I can have it for 1400 €.

- Panasonic FZ802: the model is not out yet, but i believe that it will be relatively close to the EZ902.
    I had seen the EZ902 in store and I really liked the colors and the softness of the image.
    I can have it for 500 euros more expensive than the LG: 1900 €.

What do you think?
    I have big doubts:
    Wait fort the panasonic : I am sure that the image will please me but the price will be 30% more expensive
    Or buy the LG ?

Thank you

2. Voadd

Voadd
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone? :)

3. zeppelino

zeppelino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,206
    LG supports Dolby Vision so you need to think about if that’s a deal breaker. But the Panasonic is believed to have better colour accuracy -
    Panasonic 55EZ952 4K OLED TV Review

C8 has a new, improved processor compared to the B7 so I’d recommend viewing both it and the Panasonic before ordering.

4. Voadd

Voadd
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok Thanks, i don't really care about DV.

what about image quality?
    I understandd that the colors were better calibrated by default on Panasonic and HDR better on LG.

But the image of the panasonic seems to have a more "soft" image, cinema line, is it a theory or in reality we really see the difference?

It's hard to see this difference in store, because LG are uncalibared, so it does not look as good as panasonic.

5. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,407
    LGs out of the box accuracy is poor but you can always get professional calibration or copy other peoples settings, but the latter will probably bring it to around 8/10 accuracy compared to 9/10 out of the box with the Panasonic EZ952. Certainly don't let what you saw in the shop sway your mind, they set tv's up in shop mode to grab your attention, they aren't going to look anything like it will at home.

It's very rare that its worth the extra going for a recently released 2018 model over the 2017 ones unless you care more about having the very best compared to value for money.

Obviously I don't know the prices you have for the other TVs and that will stand for a lot but I wouldn't get any new model if it cost a few hundred more than the LG B7 or C7.

So best to avoid the new C8 and FZ Panasonic unless you want to pay over the odds or possibly delay your purchase until those TVs come down in price, up to a year from now.

There is very little difference in image quality between all the OLEDs, even the 2018 ones to the 2017 ones. Nothing worth really worrying about anyway, they all use the same panels.

Biggest differences between each TV are with motion enhancements with some people using them and some not, if you aren't happy with how an OLEDs motion is out of the box you will certainly be happier with Panasonic or the new LGs instead...or Philips for that matter.

6. zeppelino

zeppelino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,206
    Image quality - you’ll be splitting hairs, really. Both use the same basic panel so differences will be seen in the processing applied by each brand.

Last year other OLEDs were brighter than the Panasonic, but it was more accurate with colours in HDR. Panasonic also believe in showing you the image as “the creator intended” and it’s screens are tuned in Hollywood apparently. For movies it would seem the Panasonic has a slight edge.

7. Voadd

Voadd
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok thanks.
    For the price, i can have a very good price for the C8 (1400€), the C7 here is at 1350€ so for me it worth the 50€ to spend more.

For the panasonic, i can have the 2017 model for the same price as the C8.

8. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,407
    Then get the new LG, a no brainer if its only 50 extra. Those are exceptional prices for a new TV.

You can copy the settings from here if you do not want to pay for pro calibration which will move you to about a 9/10 rather than 8/10. Just beware that some of the advance settings may be very different from tv to tv so its best only copying the basic ones.

If you went with the Panasonic EZ952 instead you'd probably be getting a little better colour accuracy overall sans pro calibration on the LG but both are very good and the new LGs out of the box accuracy is better than last years models.

9. Analysis

Analysis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +310
    The prices in euros for OLED like the LG B7 or C8 are very competitive at the current time.

I'm seeing some discounts on QLED but they are still way overpriced for a LCD.

10. zeppelino

zeppelino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,206
    Seeing those prices I regret now choosing to fly to France in September.

One note on LG - B8 OLED has not received new A9 processor so avoid unless B7 is sold out.

C8 is garnering good reviews though, so I’d go for that right now.