First Man 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Simon Crust

Editorial Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks simon. I’ve got to say, this was a one watch for me. I found gosling/Armstrong really difficult to like in this and don’t think I could put myself through watching it again.

I think you’re a little generous with the picture quality score. I know it was the directors choice, but it certainly isn’t a film to show off your system. Even my dad commented asking if my projector had gone out of focus on certain scenes.

The imax scenes as per usual do look incredible.

Sound was also very impressive.

Film was a 6 for me, 7 for picture and 9 for sound.

Oh oh grain and 50 year old original source material - stand by. . :nono::laugh:

When I saw this at the cinema it was the sound during all the test flights and on board the aircraft that did it for me. To hear all the nuts n bolts rattling around, the steel shell of the air/spacecraft screeching as it expanded and contracted sounded so real. If it was me testing these prototype machines I’d be crapping myself every time! I thought the film showed how much these guys must have gone through.
I enjoyed the film overall but not sure how much I’d get out of watching it on my none Atmos (but 7.1) system, especially as I can’t have it as loud as I’d really like due to having neighbors :(

grain was visible even on cinemas.... UHD/blurays is nothing to show off to your friends, it looks like there is some 1960 grain added to feel more realistic. However, movie is 9/10 and will watch again and again. Brilliant acting by "Armstrong" . If you want something to show for your friends. Buy regular blu ray The cure for wellness. I could not believe the quality of every scene. Razor sharp with no grain at all. Looks like 8k or so.

I really liked it , found it very informative about a subject i like.... i mean as a peace of fiction it was great we all know Stanley Kubrick filmed the moon landing :D . Watched it on blu ray as still to get 4k player. Didn't have any issue with the picture quality just added an authentic touch IMO. I did notice some very sparse white specking on the lunar lander approach which i wasn't sure should be there in the black of space and i could have just classed as flashes of stars but i just don't think it was so would be interested if anyone else notice this. Audio was impressive on my 5.1 good detail , bass weight and musical impact at various times.

I liked the film and did see it when it was on the cinema and watched it again recently. It is a slow burner for sure, but a good film. After comparing the 4K UHD with the blu ray I couldn't notice that much difference in picture, and as they both share the great Atmos soundtrack, I sold the 4K on and just kept the blu ray.

I watched this one on iTunes in 4KDV. Great movie, even if Ryan Gosling is as usual as flat as a plank of wood.

The picture quality is an interesting one. Having seen Leon on UHD BD the film grain looked beautiful and very analogue. Here it looked much less natural, no doubt due to low resolution of the DI and iTunes compression, and perhaps the overly contrasty Dolby Vision. Weirdly film grain really benefits from 4K, so it's too bad this is another lazy upscale.

Sorry, a 10 for Sound? I watched the first half few days back and found the bass to be lacking It has been proven that the bass is neutered at around 40 Hz when it should be hitting hard around 20 Hz. This really has out me off from completing the film. :(

Sorry, a 10 for Sound? I watched the first half few days back and found the bass to be lacking It has been proven that the bass is neutered at around 40 Hz when it should be hitting hard around 20 Hz. This really has out me off from completing the film. :(
Yup :thumbsdow

The launch scene from Apollo 13 really gave me goosebumps, this film whilst Ok was a once watch for me.

Thanks for the link. Sadly I don't have the equipment to do BEQ. Shame about the filtered bass. I have no idea why Studios do that. It really ruins the AV experience.

I was put off by Deadpan Gosling, but apparently Armstrong's family said his portrayal was spot-on.

Despite my usual aversion to Gosling, I enjoyed the film.

We shouldn't complain taking into account recent releases ......

It could have been Neilella Armstrong 1st woman. One small step for non binary non gender specific people

Last edited:
We shouldn't complain taking into account recent releases ......

It could have been Neilella Armstrong 1st woman. One small step for non binary non gender specific people

Don't worry! No doubt there will be a sequel soon featuring the accurate portrayal of some woman we have never heard of... ;)

P2TGZz2.jpg

tuInWYW.png

Yep, awesome bass but only if you BEQ :) Might as well turn your subs off if not ;)

Making Movies Sound Better With Bass EQ

Last edited:
Wouldn't running your sub hot by bumpng it up a few notches help at all?
Nope, not really. You can see by the graph the Atmos track falls off a cliff at 40hz.. Only BEQ can bring it back level with the rest of the frequency range as you see by the solid line.

Red is average level, green is peak level, dotted line is what's on the disk, the solid line is after BEQ filters have been applied :thumbsup:

Nope, not really. You can see by the graph the Atmos track falls off a cliff at 40hz.. Only BEQ can bring it back level with the rest of the frequency range as you see by the solid line. Dotted line is what's on the disk, the solid line is after BEQ filters have been applied :thumbsup:

Okay good to know! Who ever filters the bass like that should be shot, especially on an Atmos soundtrack.

Okay good to know! Who ever filters the bass like that should be shot, especially on an Atmos soundtrack.
There's loads more movies like that, in fact there's way too many, hence the reason we use BassEQ for individual movies :cool:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom