First Man (12 October 2018) directed by Damien Chazelle

Rate Me

• Total voters

raigraphixs

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Ryan Gosling to reteam with his La La Land director Damien Chazelle for First Man, Universal Pictures’ biopic centering on Neil Armstrong, the astronaut who became the first man to set foot on the moon.

Gosling has been orbiting the project since late 2015, but it was only in December that a deal was reached.

The project adapts the book First Man: A Life of Neil A. Armstrong by James Hansen and has a script by Josh Singer, the Oscar-winning co-writer of Spotlight.

Armstrong was a hotshot Navy bombing pilot during World War II, then a test pilot in the 1950 and 1960s. The movie will aim to tell the story of NASA’s mission to land a man on the moon, specifically the years 1961 to 1969, according to studio sources. The goal is to explore the sacrifices and the cost — on Armstrong and on the nation — of one of the most dangerous missions in history.

Marty Bowen and Wyck Godfrey, whose credits include the Twilight and Maze Runner franchises, as well as The Fault In Our Stars, are producing the drama via their Temple Hill Entertainment.

Isaac Klausner will exec produce. Hansen is attached to co-produce. Universal’s vp of production Sara Scott will oversee the project for the studio.

Chazelle’s La La Land has emerged as one of the top movies this awards season. The movie scored seven Golden Globe nominations, including one for Chazelle, for directing, and Gosling, for acting. Gosling also nabbed a SAG nomination.

The actor recently wrapped production on Blade Runner 2049 with Harrison Ford. First Man is eyeing a shoot next year.

Gosling is repped by UTA, Anonymous Content, LBI Entertainment and law firm Sloane Offer.

845790.jpg

Biggest issue I have with this is they appear to have put a lot of emphasis on wether he’s going to make it or not.

I'm looking forward to JK Simmons being in charge of the flight simulations and every time they screw up he gives it "Not my telemetry. You're rushing"

The trailer seems to cover all of NA’s astronaut ‘crises’.
X-15 Test Pilot
Gemini 8 spin
Ejecting from the LLRV
The Apollo 1 fire
Taking manual control of the LEM on descent to the moon
It makes me wonder what the movie is actually going to concentrate on.

Based just on the trailer?

Bri
That and the fact it's a biopic about a really famous story that everyone already knows. Biopics tend to be really bland filmmaking wise. I'd like to think Damien Chazelle is doing something to make the film stand out - because so far he's proven to be a very creative and talented director - and that the trailer is doing a bad job of showing it but I highly doubt it.

It's worth noting that he's not credited as a writer for this film, even though he wrote Whiplash and La La Land.

I like Gosling but I have to agree that the trailer isn't doing a lot for me. Maybe it's just a weak trailer and the movie itself will be good.

Really looking forward to this but the trailer's soundtrack seems a bit more "prep for alien invasion" than anything else....

First Man will get IMAX treatment at TIFF premiere at the Cinesphere, Ontario, Canada
Unknown if IMAX 70mm or Laser

First Man

This looks like it'll be a terrific companion piece to The Right Stuff and Apollo 13. Definitely seeing this.

A- Venice Review: Damien Chazelle’s ‘First Man’ is a Majestic, Deeply Tragic Epic
Shot by Linus Sandgren (La La Land, American Hustle), First Man echoes a Lubezki-like aesthetic, the camera effortlessly flowing with Gosling as he plays around with the kids and whispers into his daughter’s ears. Some images recall The Tree of Life, but their gentle beauty is brutally juxtaposed with the terrifyingly claustrophobic camerawork inside various spacecrafts, in a game of point-of-view and outstanding sound design that — in line with the film’s sanitized and anti-bombastic flair — portrays them less as technological wonders, more like howling metallic graves.

First Man
would be impressive even without the palpable fear that emanates from Gosling’s haunting breathing, the space helmet fogging up the camera’s lens, but it is that immersive experience that puts it over the top. The look on Gosling’s eyes as the moon materializes on the horizon, the lunar surface suddenly reflected on his helmet, captures the film’s magnetic dancing between tragedy and wonder. Nobody has taken us to space this way before.

Just love watching shots across the moon looking back across space to Earth so this'll have to be a big screen watch for me.

First Man will get IMAX treatment at TIFF premiere at the Cinesphere, Ontario, Canada
Unknown if IMAX 70mm or Laser

First Man
Looks like only Christopher Nolan has the clout to get studios to splash out on some 15-perf 70mm celluloid reels nowadays, as I see that the BFI are showing the LieMAX Digital version.

BFI IMAX
1f468_200d_1f680.png
‍TICKET ON SALE ALERT
1f468_200d_1f680.png

It's time to reach for the stars... tickets for First Man are on sale now!

Screening from 12 October, see Ryan Gosling as Neil Armstrong in Damien Chazelle's space epic in IMAX Digital 2D.

Get your tickets now: http://bit.ly/2wBMvwX

Just noticed that they had the 70mm reel of Interstellar showing last weekend though, which I might’ve made the trek down for!

BFI IMAX
1f680.png
Epic futuristic films on sale alert!
1f680.png

It's time to look to the future, with one off screenings of Blade Runner 2049 and Interstellar! Don't miss your chance to see these incredible films on the biggest screen in Britain.

Friday 14 September - 23.59 - Blade Runner 2049
Saturday 15 September - 23.59 - Interstellar (15/70mm print)

Book now: http://bit.ly/2NfikpC

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom