First look for upcoming B&W 800 D4 serie

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Leaked pictures and some information from other site.

d4.jpeg

On the tech front, the loudspeakers include the company’s Continuum Cone, FST and Biomimetic Suspension technologies. The result of an eight-year research program, the composite Continuum Cone – used for both midrange and mid/bass applications – is combined with the company’s Fixed Suspension Transducer (FST) technology when used as a midrange drive unit in Bowers & Wilkins floorstanding speakers.

The newest innovation from Bowers & Wilkins is the all-new composite Biomimetic Suspension that replaces the conventional fabric spider with a minimalist composite suspension system. The technology greatly reduces unwanted air pressure (or sound) that a conventional fabric spider can generate in a midrange cone.

In all three-way models, midrange drive units include a highly stiff all-aluminum chassis featuring Tuned Mass Dampers (TMD) to quieten any resonance. These complete drive units and motor systems are then isolated on sprung-mounted decoupling mounts, further restricting the flow of vibration into the assembly.

The 803 D4, 802 D4 and 801 D4 also include a stiff all-aluminum Turbine Head enclosure for their midrange drive units.

The HTM81 D4 and HTM82 D4 features an internal aluminum enclosure. Meanwhile, the company’s signature Solid Body Tweeter housing that is machined from a solid piece of aluminum now features an elongated form (almost 30cm/12 inches long) with a longer internal tube-loading system.

Lastly, the 805 D4 and 804 D4 now feature the reverse wrap speaker cabinet previously reserved for the larger floor-standing 800 Series Diamond models. The 804 D4 now joins the other floorstanding models in the 800 Series Diamond range by offering a downwards-firing Flowport bass port, exiting on to a new, stiffer solid aluminum plinth designed to offer a more solid foundation and to control unwanted resonance. The 804 D4 also has upgraded spikes and feet, with huge M12 spikes that are both more stable and stiffer than the outgoing M6 designs.

Last edited:

ti33er

805D4

Attachments

• 9BE8B2B8-4529-4A2A-B2D4-40DFD0B883AA.jpeg
    9BE8B2B8-4529-4A2A-B2D4-40DFD0B883AA.jpeg
    263.6 KB · Views: 1,362

ti33er

803D4

Attachments

• A9680D68-E8E9-4061-AC1E-020FCDE0BE55.jpeg
    A9680D68-E8E9-4061-AC1E-020FCDE0BE55.jpeg
    367.8 KB · Views: 1,350

ti33er

Steamingly £xpensive though… not sure I’m ready to drop that sort of cash

Conrad

Looks lovely. Maybe @Conrad will put pre-order in soon! :rolleyes:
Not at those prices. I also really don't like the looks of the newer ones. I much prefer my Nautilus so I'll be sticking with those I think.

ti33er

ti33er

Still no word on the D4 Subwoofers… assume they could be lazy and just leave the square boxes as is; like the 805 Stand which is no revelation at twice the ex price

Argento

Novice Member
Are those $US prices? Europeans just have a different symbol in front if that's the case.
Speaking only for the 805, I'm glad I bought the 805D3s when I did, 25% more and I just would't have managed these, centre, sub and 7-series surrounds.
I like the trim around the top, not so much the Leather patch and not sure how well they'll age. Undecided about the crossover plate (3 kg weight difference?) and the rounding cut at the rear.

The covers only on driver I liked more than the boxy one I have. I always run without, covers on when kids are here. Then again there's nothing stopping matchbox cars driving into the ports ;)

progtastic

Novice Member
I listened to the 804 D4s last weekend as part of a demonstration. They were frankly awful, really awful. Incoherent and weedy, there was no depth to them. The dealer concurred that they had tried all sorts of different positions with them. As a comparison at a similar price level, I listened to a pair of PMC 25.26s and the difference was night and day. Gorgeous. I have always been a big B&W fan but I was sat there thinking they’ve lost the plot. I cant blame the amp either, it was a big beefy sugden, more than capable of driving them. Suffice to say , the D4s will not be on my shortlist!

Conrad

Out of interest, had you compared them to previous 800 series? Was there a marked drop off between the D3 and 4, for example?

I heard the D3s and didn't hear anything that made me feel I was missing anything from my Nautilus. I haven't heard the D4 yet and I'm not particularly interested in doing so at those prices (plus I like the design and finish a lot less now). I haven't seen many reviews of them either yet so I'm curious.

DCR3000

I listened to the 804 D4s last weekend as part of a demonstration. They were frankly awful, really awful. Incoherent and weedy, there was no depth to them. The dealer concurred that they had tried all sorts of different positions with them. As a comparison at a similar price level, I listened to a pair of PMC 25.26s and the difference was night and day. Gorgeous. I have always been a big B&W fan but I was sat there thinking they’ve lost the plot. I cant blame the amp either, it was a big beefy sugden, more than capable of driving them. Suffice to say , the D4s will not be on my shortlist!
Without sufficient current and real power they will sound bad. 800 series is picky with pairings. Looking at the Sugden design, they don’t seem fit to run those absent the mono blocks advertised on their page. I’ve yet to see an integrated, absent some of the giants, run any of the 800 series well. I’ve seen perfectly good integrateds run them like trash.

progtastic

Novice Member
Without sufficient current and real power they will sound bad. 800 series is picky with pairings. Looking at the Sugden design, they don’t seem fit to run those absent the mono blocks advertised on their page. I’ve yet to see an integrated, absent some of the giants, run any of the 800 series well. I’ve seen perfectly good integrateds run them like trash.
Indeed. The dealer basically got the pairing wrong as the Sugden is pure Class A and does not produce the sort of current that the 800 series demand. So, I was given a misleading impression of them, but a sharp reminder that amp/speaker pairing is critical. I am now thinking I should be listening to the with either something like the new Rotel Michi or a Mcintosh.

kasiabs

Too right... pairing is so important... when I first heard 800d3s, they were powered by Devialet & that was just painful to listen to.

Then I heard with a McIntosh MA9000 & put my order in straight away... they sparkle like nothing else I've heard.

I have a pair of 801d4 & 805d4 arriving in a couple of weeks... can't wait!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES '22 TV Announcement Round-up, Plus, Most Anticipated Movies of 2022 and More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom