1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First look at ST:NG

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Confucius, Mar 21, 2002.

1. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Got the R1 box set yesterday from www.northamericandvd.com, £71.67 incl s&h and no customs charges (they marked the package with a value of CAN$36).

Picture is a little soft & lacking in detail on ...Farpoint, I also noticed a strange pinkish hue to the picture (and not just during 'Red Alert' scenes!). Pic quality better on subsequent eps. (7/10)

Sound is fantastic, an excellent remaster in DD5.1 - better than many movies. (oooooh, go on, 10/10 then!!)

Menus are mostly static (apart from the initial one allowing episode selection), though background noises are being played. Extras confined to the 7th disc. Not watched any yet so can't comment on quality/value.

S'gonna be a pricey year, worth it though.

2. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Picture is a little soft & lacking in detail on ...Farpoint
    It's circa 1987 NTSC - can't expect miracles! What's the packaging like?
    S'gonna be a pricey year, worth it though.
    It will be when the start to release DS9, Voyager and Enterprise box sets too.

Mark

3. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Outer packaging is a silver cardboard clamshell case, the lettering & 'Federation' symbol are lightly embossed. The discs themselves are held in one of those long fold-out style card & plastic affairs á-la X-Files ('digipack' I am given to understand)

The booklet has very brief character bios and an alphabetical episode list - strange! The inside cover of the clamshell outer has the episodes listed per disc. There is no chapter list in print.

Frankly I don't think that the packaging will remain in top-notch condition after a few uses:(

If the R2 casing is plastic then that's one up to them, I'd be interested to know what the picture quality is like when compared side by side with the R1.

STNG was the first prog where I noticed PAL pitch change, so it had to be R1 for me.

I was never that keen on DS9 or Voyager, and Enterprise has yet to grow on me - I was a little dissapointed that all the technology such as phasers & transporters seem to be in place pretty much from the start.

4. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112