1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First LCD install

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Bobbler, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Bobbler

Bobbler
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Greetings, may I start by saying thanks to the info on here from all the members I have become a lot more clued up on buying my first LCD, as well as saving a bundle over the high street...well didnt actually save much but got a bigger screen for not much more :thumbsup:
    I have ended up buying a Philips 23PF8946 from EmpireDirect which seemed to be a decent enough screen after viewing the 17" version of the same and finding it to be way better than the others in there (given the rather naff source they use in stores I really wonder how they can shift that many LCDs/Plasmas?)
    Some questions that I havent been able to find the answer to:
    1. I going to be putting the screen in the bedroom and will be running the Sky over a digisender for the mo (will be going multiroom/Sky + later in the year so will suffice with this feed for now), however I dont like the idea of running a wire 6ft up the wall for power. Does anyone know if this screen has an internal or external adaptor for power so that I can run a relatively thin lead from the ceiling via the loft?
    2. Looking at the digisender unit I am thinking of putting it up in the loft also so its out of the way and extending the scart lead a little. The IR receiver though I am thinking of removing and resoldering onto a length of cable and housing in a tiny box (or sticking to the LCD somewhere), has anyone done this? Would there be any possible problem with adding cable to it?
    Many thanks.
    3. Finally is the screen I bought any good as I based my purchase on the 17" quality and the reviews I can find for the 26/32/37 " models of the same range? I noticed the newer version is around but didnt seem to offer anything extra over the old model for around £200 more.
    Many Thanks

2. Bobbler

Bobbler
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Failing to answer all of the above, can anyone just tell me what the power feed is for this LCD TV? External PSU or standard Kettle lead affair?

3. boppa

boppa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought one of these TVs too. I can confirm that the power lead is a figure of eight type lead.

As for is it any good, I also struggled to find any reviews. I'm stuggling along at the moment with a lousy indoor aerial, until, like you, I get multiroom, hopefully soon! So I can't really comment on the quality of TV broadcasts.

With DVDs, I am impressed so far. I have been disappointed to discover that I cannot use prog scan (although that is really my fault for assuming, rather than checking, that it had component inputs). Also, the 'black' level takes a bit of getting used to compared to a CRT, but I know this is still a problem with most LCD TVs (especially the cheaper / smaller models).

So far so good!