• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

First laptop advice which processor etc

marklfc77

Standard Member
Hi I'm in the Market to buy my first laptop, my budget will be around 499, so just need a bit of advice, it won't be used for gaming so I'm basically looking for the most future proof machine for the money. So first question is which processor is best the intel I3 or amd phenom ii x3, then who would be the best maker to go for dell hp etc

dc8900

Distinguished Member
for your budget, you can easily get a core i3 now and one advantage you do get is hyper-threading

for manufacturers it all depends, my own favourites due to their reliability and quality is Toshiba and ASUS but take a look at the Dell Outlet for some brilliant bargains :thumbsup:

jossi007

Standard Member
I totally agree with "dc8900" to go for an i3. Much better performance, and much more reliable. About what make to go for. I don't think it makes a big difference as long as it's a known brand. I personally would also recommend Toshiba as being very reliable and having a brilliant customer service.

marklfc77

Standard Member
Cheers have found 2 laptops on amazon 1 hp pavillion dv6-3112sa which has the intel i3-350m chip and 3gb ram for 499 and the other is a toshiba satellite c660-11k with intel I3-370m and 4gb ram for 489. So not much difference in price the only difference I can see is that the toshiba has a slightly better processor and more ram. And the hp has a better graphics card as it is dedicated.
Who is more reliable toshiba or hp and would you sacrifice the better processor and ram for a better graphics card.
I am looking for a laptop that will last years

dc8900

Distinguished Member
I would go for Tosh, as while I've never had a problem with HP machines, for me, Toshiba's seem to be built like indestructible tanks in comparison. My sister had a Satellite that lasted 6 years before she decided to retire it.

Saying that, you have to ask, do you need the dedicated graphics? if not, go for the Tosh, if so, then the HP

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom