1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First impressions of new M&K system

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Bernard Barnett, Jul 18, 2002.

1. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    On Uncle Eric's recommendation I've just got a new pair of M&K 1610s and coupled them with an M&K VX100 sub (bought second-hand - but pristine - from Adzman, thanks Adam). Even though the 1610s aren't run in yet, I think they're wonderful - a really pure, clean and uncoloured sound, which is exactly what I wanted as mostly I use them for listening to music. Piano notes - which I think are the severest test of hifi - are as clear as a bell. For such small speakers they have astonishing presence. I'm still playing with the sub settings and placement for the optimum result. The moral of this story is - listen to Eric, he knows what he's talking about! Regards to everybody.

2. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Bernard,
    You're too kind.
    I must admit that I was a little worried. The reason being is that your Hi Fi set up was already quite superb. The combination of Arcam and Spendor (love that company) is very hard to beat.

As I mentioned, the vast majority of better end speakers on the market today are "voiced" by their makers to give their idea of a pleasing flavour, tone or characteristic that will appeal to most listeners. Spendor has always used components that give a slightly warm and lush flavour to proceedings. Not altogether unpleasent.

Even worse, budget end speakers are voiced not by design but by the very limitations that are imposed on their design and build due to severely restricted cost targets. Low quality crossovers, drivers, magnets inferior cabinet bracing all lend a hand to add unwanted flavour to a given speaker.

M&K's "Professional" MPS range do not have a flavour. These speakers have an altogether different crossover than their domestic counterparts and have better internal bracing. When M&K advertise that the likes of Dolby Labs, THX, Skywalker sound, Lucasfilm, Sony, THX etc all use their speakers during mastering, it is in fact the MPS range they use and not the domestic range seen in installs featured in magazines etc.

Clean crystal clear unflavoured sound is of the utmost importance at the mastering and dubbing stage. Basicly you are hearing very nearly what was heard in the studio after playback. Good enough for me.

Best Regards
    Eric

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    And me. Thanks Eric

4. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Surely this is a good reason to buy a full set of 7 B&W N801's or N802's also then?;)

5. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Richard,
    I'll be brutally honest (as usual) even though many will think I'm nuts. For that kind of money, the 801's wouldn't even figure in my top 5.
    Shock,horror, loud screams and things that go bump in the night :eek:

Eric

6. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The Bowers and Wilkins are fantastic to look at. The build quality, technology and design innovation.
    It is a shame they are so disappointing to the ears.

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    My wife said "I'm not having those Daleks in the house"

8. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I wouldn't have the N801 either, but that's only because they are too big. I think they are lovely sounding speakers, but I'd stump up the extra £2.5k and go for the newer N800.

9. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The funny thing is that its true. I was with them at the time. (Sound and Vision show in Bristol)

10. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    The N800/1/2 are like Marmite. You love them or hate them. (Style wise)

11. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Richard,
    I actually don't mind how they look. Its the Marmite flavour that I don't like :rolleyes:

Eric

12. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    and, it was good enough for me.

Having moved from a passive set of M&K S-150 to an all active MPS-2510P & MPS-2525P the clarity, precission, and ease of delivery is outstanding.

Best results I had with the passive set was in conjuction with Krell KAV-300 amplifier, but the active set is even sharper and has so much power.

Much cheaper than the consumer version as well.

13. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Bernard...
    Nice to know you are enjoying your system.......

All the best for the future.

Adzman....(Adam)