1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Impressions - Hitachi 42PD3000

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by johndon, Aug 24, 2003.

1. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    With all the recent discussions about ALIS panels and resolution, I thought I'd give my impressions of the 42PD3000 which I had installed on Thursday.

Firstly, it does buzz but it's not noticeable from the viewing position (around 9 ft from the screen) even on quiet scenes.

Sky Digital (set to output RGB with a good quality shielded scart cable) - Picture is generally excellent on the better channels with Sky Sports looking particularly good for the football today. One strange thing though is that, with the box connected to the AV1 input, the picture was terrible with dot crawl all over the place. Plugging the scart into AV3 made a HUGE difference and the picture is totally stable with no dot crawl and no sign of the chroma bug.

DVD (Yamaha S540 connected with IXOS component cable) - picture quality is awesome with no sign of image defects and blacks appear, at least to my eyes, very black. I tried PAL progressive and it seemed to make little difference to the quality although it did seem to stretch the picture so that I lost around half an inch top and bottom of the picture.

PC - With the resolution set to 1024*768, the picture is stable an perfectly readable from the viewing position (in act I'm writing this now with the plasma as my display)

XBOX - Connected via scart to AV2 and again, the picture ie great.

So, overall, I'm very impressed with the screen and have no complaints at all.

John

2. Blu-rayx

Blu-rayx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    johndon :hiya:

Welcome to the plasma world :smashin:

dvd :cool:

3. thfccambs

thfccambs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,013
    johndon
    Where did you buy your hitachi 3000 and how much?

4. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Nice one John i'm seriously considering the Hitachi CL42PD3000 myself so your opinion couldn't have come at a better time for me.
    It's either the Hitachi or the new philips 37PF9965, the only reservation in my household is from the wife who thinks the 42 inch hitachi may overpower the room ???
    It will be viewed from around the eight to ten feet distance wall mounted on the chimney breast(any thoughts does a 42incher overpower) bare in mind we currently have a Toshiba 36ZP18, i will have the final say but i must keep her in doors happy.
    I rearlly want more bang for my buck so i'm in the 42inch corner at the moment, has anybody had experience of the philips pixel plus ???

5. andya

andya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    from that distance it wont overpower you its just about right it will just get a bit of getting used to but once you are you will never go back to crt

6. RickB

RickB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The reason the picture looked rough on AV1 is that only AV2 and AV3 have RGB input's - you would of been using composite on AV1. Use AV1 as a VCR input and leave your XBOX and digibox on AV2 and 3.

Cheers

RickB

7. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    hunts1uk - I got the screen from a local dealer in Newcastle, Global Hi-Fi, who I've used for years - cost £3500 including wall bracket and installation. I know I could have got it cheaper but I trust these guys and didn't want to risk doing the install myself.

fuzzybee - It doesn't overpower the room (aroubd 18ft * 15ft) at all. I used to have a 40" Tosh RPTV so I'm used to a big screen. My brother came to the house to see it and he was suprised how 'small' it looked - I suspect that the lack of bulk has a lot to do with it.

HTH

John

8. Dave777

Dave777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Conratulations on your purchase. I'm also very interested in your experiences. If you get time to add any more that would be great. My setup will be similar except with Sky+. I've liked the picture on ALIS screens in store displays. Maybe they are more forgiving of poor sources? I am buying a prog scan Denon 2900 maybe I shouldn't?

Thanks again

Dave

9. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Hi Johndon,

I am considering the 400e or panny 6(choices,choices)
    I noticed you have the yamaha 540 is it a good player for the money £120(unbeatable)?

10. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Dave777 - I didn't make it clear earlier but I am using Sky+ and, the more I watch, the more I'm impressed by the picture quality. On some of the low bandwidth channels it can still look pretty bad though, having said that, I've read on here before that Bravo in particular looks bad - it's looks OK to me. The ALIS screen certainly seems to give a pretty good picture with most sources. To be honest, until I saw a demo of the Hitachi I was going to get a Pioneer MXE but, to my eyes at least, the picture on the Hitachi was at least equal to if not better than the Pio and the 42PD3000 is very wife friendly she's even insisted that the PC stays connected to the plasma now rather than being stuck upstairs.

philb - the Yammy appears to be a very good player for the money. Picture quality (even through scart) appears to be excellent. I haven't had a chance to test NTSC progrssive as I've no region 1 disks but, as I said, PAL prog seems to make little difference to and already superb picture. I'd certainly recommend it as a player.

Overall, everyone who has seen it so far has been very impressed the picture and how comparatively small the screen looks on the wall - even my mam was impressed.

I do have one dead pixel but this is only noticeable when using a white background on the PC = even though I know where it is, I can't see it at all when watching Sky or DVD.

Once I've got the cables chased into the wall, I'll post some pics.

John

11. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Hi John,

Congratulations on your new plasma. As you've already noticed, feeding it a progressive scan signal won't produce a better picture as the signal is interlaced by the plasma in order to display it.

Steve

12. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Thanks for the replies regarding the overpowering issue, Johndon can i ask you about the wall brackets.
    Does the Hitachi have them included(like the philips)or are they seperate and how much are they ???
    Me and the missus have been round some electrical shops today and the cheapest i could get the 42inch Hitachi for was £3150, but the salesman was unsure about the wall bracket issue.
    Does the Hitachi offer pal & ntsc prog scan ??
    The philips 37PF9965 also impressed me(why are decisons never easy things to make)has no one any opinions regarding this display, the September issue of HCC seemed very impressed by it

13. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    fuzzybee - the bracket was £100 and was seperate (although it is Hitachi branded). The panel appears to support prog scan but, as it's an interlaced panel, prog scan appears to make very little, if any, difference to the picture.

John

14. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Thanks for the info John £100 isn't to bad, i wandered into Audiovision today and they'll do the 42inch Hitachi + wallbracket and two year warranty for £3200.
    Not bad but i'm sure i can get better, is the screen still wowing you and hows the performance of the remote, is it wife friendly(again sorry for all the questions but i have to get this purchase right)

15. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Remote is dead easy to use and, since the media box means the inputs auto switch, all she has to do is switch the plasma on and switch the digibox on and that's it. The panel even auto switches the aspect ratio as you change channels on the digibox.

John

16. RickB

RickB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    fuzzybee,

John Lewis are doing the 42PD3000 for £3000 including a five year warranty. The simple Hitachi wallbracket is available from Empiredirect for around £86.00 inc vat.

Might be worth checking at John Lewis as they accept telephone orders at the stores !!

RickB

17. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    RickB

Thanks for that myfriend my heart missed a beat when my eyes focused on the £3000 with five year warranty(after i finished rubbing them)
    I have just found out JL have a store in Sheffield not to far from where i live so saturday afternoon i'm off with my cheque book.
    Again many thanks

:smashin:

Shaun

18. thfccambs

thfccambs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,013
    Ricky B
    which JL did you see the hitachi 42" 3000 for £3000? my local JL has it for £3495.

19. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    You are nuts! please please please FOR THE LOVE OF GOD :) have a look at a panel with a US gamecube with metroid prime in progressive scan mode, you won't want to touch this screen with a 10 foot barge pole when you see how better it looks on other screens.

Neil.

20. RickB

RickB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hunts1uk,

The JL at Cheadle near manchester has it for £3000 dead. They will do mail order and delivery is free depending on how close to the store you live - plus you get the 5 year warranty. If you tell your local store that JL in Cheadle are doing it for £3000 they will probably do it for the same price.

Neil,

I tried my US gamecube with component cable on the Hitachi at Currys when I was looking - didn't have Metroid with me but Starfox looked pretty good to me in PS.

RickB

21. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    RickB

OK now i'm confused, i thought the Hitachi was a interlaced only display device and the US GC (which i have a loverly platinum version off) outputs 480p
    I used to get 480i on my Toshiba ZP18 so i was expecting the same output on the Hitachi plasma, am i wrong in thinking this

Neil

I know you and many others love the panny 6 but the missus will simply not allow me to spend over 3K, that i am afraid is my limit. To me and my eyes the Hitachi seems to be my best option, HSC seem to love it and have it top of their list so if they say it's good i know it's good.
    I know your only using it as a example but i absolutely hate MP, the continuous backtracking doesn't work in 3d(looks loverly though) :p

22. RickB

RickB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    fuzzybee,

Your right - the Hitachi is an interlaced only display - however it still interprets 480p - there is some confusion as to what it actually does - tbrar will probably provide more information - but according to Trainerdave who works for Fujitsu as a technical trainer with Plasma's - 480P is upscaled to 512 lines and shown progressively at a 1024x512 resolution (the maximum resolution the Hitachi can show in a single frame without interlace). So you are still getting more than the full resolution and still getting a progressive output.

There is a bit of confusion as to what exactly the Hitachi does - but trainer Daves explanation is as good as any.

RickB

23. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to put the cat among the pigeons, :devil: is the Hitachi 42pd3000 really any good? Looking in 'What Hi-Fi Sound and Vision' today reveals that it gets a distinctly average 3 stars (out of 5). Is it really worth spending £3K on an 'average' TV?

BTW I should point out that I hope the response to this question is a resounding 'YES, it is good!' as I too have one on order from John Lewis in Cheadle. :)

If (like me) you are no expert when it comes to judging the various merits of these displays, and there is nowhere nearby where you can see them demoed up against each other it is very difficult to make your mind up, and I feel as though I'm making something of a leap of faith with this purchase.

24. RickB

RickB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Elvis,

Its won a fair amount of awards including T3's accolade of best plasma screen ever. That said having spent a while demoing Plasma's before ordering - the only one that I thought came close was the Pioneer - looked slightly better than the Hitachi but I couldnt' justify the extra expense - I personally thought the Panasonic 5 flickered so badly it was straight out of the game and the 6 just didn't do it for me.

RickB

25. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RickB,

Like you, I have seen lots of other favourable reviews/coverage in magazines and online. I suppose it just goes to show everyone sees these things differently.

Unfortunately, I could only get to see this set in Currys, needless to say the combination of poor picture signal & lack of expert knowledge didn't help to convince me I had made the right decision. I will be using the set to (mostly) watch Sky rather than DVDs and the signal quality in the high street electrical stores is always lousy (how can they sell expensive TVs like these without bothering to set up a half decent picture feed for the store).

Because of the reasons described above I'm pretty much basing my decision to purchase this sceen based on the positive reviews I've read, which does make it leap of faith. JL do have a 28 day period in which you can return the set, though hopefully I won't need to take advantage of that (or the 5 year warranty).

26. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Elvis,

Yes the Hitachi is that good (at least to my eyes) bearing in mind that until I saw it I was going to get a Pioneer MXE. The price wasn't an issue for me and I would have happily have paid more for the MXE but on picture quality couldn't justify the difference in the price.

I also noticed that they criticised the styling due to the speakers and the table top stand - this made no difference to me and most others I suspect as I've got it installed on the wall without the speakers and it looks as good as any other plasma I've seen so far.

All the sources I've tried so far (Sky+, DVD, XBOX, PS2 and PC) all look fantastic and I've got no regrets that I went for the Hitachi rather than any other make.

John

27. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Johndon

Thanks for the encouragement :)

It sounds like you'll be connecting up the same kit as I, Sky+, Xbox, DVD, PC.

Have you had any problems with screen burn, particularly with your PC and Xbox (where there is likely static information on screen) and how do the built in speakers fare? - Probably much better than the tinny speaker I have on my ougoing 7yr old Hitachi TV I would guess :)

28. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Forget WHF and their plasma tests! They first look at the price and then at the picture. They still compare plasmas with CRT telly's when giving picture ratings. We know the plasmas aren't quite as good, WHF, but they are more flexible and BIGGER!!!

The Hitachi was also reviewed at RRP, a lot more than £3000.

29. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Thanks RickB for clearing that up mate :smashin: it sounds like your happy with your purchase John
    Regarding the what Hi-Fi review i was hoping it would give it a good write up but when i saw the three stars i must admit i was a tad deflated.
    However when i read it it stated cumbersome design with the speakers and swivel tabletop stand ??? They also mention digital noise as an issue ???
    I have auditioned the JVC they gave five stars and it certainly(to me) didn't look as good as the Hitachi(picture wise)
    I have been auditioning several plasmas over the last six days including the much aclaimed(by this forum) panny 6.
    I have to say in my eyes the Hitachi is certainly on a par with any of them, it certainly looks the best(design wise IMO)
    For me it has to be the Hitachi, the missus has given me a 3K budget and as long as i can get it for 3K from JL with the warranty and wallbracket(maybe pushing my luck) my account will be debited by said amount saturday afternoon.
    From what i have read and seen yes it is that good
    :smashin:

Thanks RickB and JohnDon for making my choice easier and anything else you want to share about the Hitachi woyuld be good :lesson:

30. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fuzzybee,

Do John Lewis have these sets in stock now? Last time I called (yesterday) they were still awaiting delivery at their central depot with no confrimed dates. I ordered one and was told I might have to wait until the end of September.

It's certainly confidence building to find several owners who stand by their decision to buy this screen, hopefully a few more of us will be joining them soon.