First Impression: Monitor Audio Silver 200

IDGreen

Standard Member
Today, I went to my local dealer to check out a pair of KEF R500s for our new condo. I walked in and the owner insisted I start with some Monitor Audio Silver 200s that "just came out of their box." Hooked up to a Parasound Halo amp, these things looked and sounded incredible for their size and price point.

For comparison's sake we played identical music on both the KEF R500s and Monitor Audio Silver 8s. The clarity of the highs, with the Silver 200s finished far ahead in a very material way. Furthermore, the 38 Hz – 35 kHz frequency response provides plenty of range and excitement. While the tonality of the MA Silver 8s were similar, it's apparent the R&D in the new Silver 200s has provided a meaningful boost.

As of yesterday, my B&Ws were sold and as of next week, I will be a happy new owner of Monitor Audio Silver 200s.

SCoomby

Very interesting! Do you have them yet?

IDGreen

Standard Member
Actually... while they are amazing speakers, I doubled back once I auditioned the Tannoy XT6Fs, which are truly impressive. I bought the XT6Fs on the spot...

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
.... I bought the XT6Fs on the spot...
Curious what you felt the differences were between the Silver 200 and the Tannoy XT6F?

Will I'm sure you will be happy, remember the Silver 200 were fresh out of the box, they probably need about 25 to 50 hours on them to sound their best.

Still the Tannoy Revolution Series are nice.

Also, what amp are you using at Home?

Thoughts?

Steve/bluewizard

IDGreen

Standard Member
They both have their strengths, but the XT6F is more punchy in the low end and still sounds plenty full at low volume, areas where I felt the Silver 200 could have been stronger in (and frankly same with the Silver 300). They are both equally clear and detailed in the mids and highs and it's probably a toss-up there. At audition, the XT6Fs were broken in, so you're right that it may not be comparing apples to apples. Nonetheless, the ear wants what it wants (and also the wallet).

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to test both pairs in my home where I am powering them with an Onkyo A-9050, which I have a feeling may not be enough power. There's a distinct threshold when adjusting the volume where they all the sudden open up. It's subtle, but I'm wondering if a more powerful and/or quality amp would allow them to function consistently at all volumes.

Open to suggestions.

droidlike

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to test both pairs in my home where I am powering them with an Onkyo A-9050, which I have a feeling may not be enough power. There's a distinct threshold when adjusting the volume where they all the sudden open up. It's subtle, but I'm wondering if a more powerful and/or quality amp would allow them to function consistently at all volumes.

Open to suggestions.

Yamaha A-S1100 ?

[email protected] rms, [email protected] rms

3 times heavier then the Onkio, 24kg for the A-S1100 vs 8kg for the Onkio

The A-S1100 has the same dna/power_amp_stage as the phenomenal A-S3000,
I would say they both have exactly the same precise electronics in power stage
(guess why A-S1100 and A-S3000 are both around 24kg?)

and really absolutely NO audible percepible difference
in sound quality between the two Yamaha top-high-end
but the A-S1100 has a neglicible fraction of the price

1600 euro for A-S1100 vs 5000 euro for A-S3000, brand new.

A-S1100 can be had for around 1000 euro in ex-demo conditions
(it's best for burn-in already done in the show/demo room)

I got mine for that money around 1000 euro, ex-demo A-S1100,
here by a local Yamaha dealer
and I cannot go up above 10-12 o'clock on the volume knob of it
with floorstanders MA GOLD 200 speakes
without the risk of tearing down the roof and foundations of my house

Last edited:

IDGreen

Standard Member
Yamaha A-S1100 ?

[email protected] rms, [email protected] rms

3 times heavier then the Onkio, 24kg for the A-S1100 vs 8kg for the Onkio

The A-S1100 has the same dna/power_amp_stage as the phenomenal A-S3000,
I would say they both have exactly the same precise electronics in power stage
(guess why A-S1100 and A-S3000 are both around 24kg?)

and really absolutely NO audible percepible difference
in sound quality between the two Yamaha top-high-end
but the A-S1100 has a neglicible fraction of the price

1600 euro for A-S1100 vs 5000 euro for A-S3000, brand new.

A-S1100 can be had for around 1000 euro in ex-demo conditions
(it's best for burn-in already done in the show/demo room)

I got mine for that money around 1000 euro, ex-demo A-S1100,
here by a local Yamaha dealer
and I cannot go up above 10-12 o'clock on the volume knob of it
with floorstanders MA GOLD 200 speakes
without the risk of tearing down the roof and foundations of my house
Thanks for the suggestion! I'd need to go out and get a DAC, as my current source is from my Samsung UN55MU6300, so my costs would jump up considerably. That said, I have access to a Marantz AV8801a and Parasound A23. It'd absolutely be overkill for a 2.0 setup, but would the sound improvement justify the burden of adding in more equipment and cost?

droidlike

Thanks for the suggestion! I'd need to go out and get a DAC, as my current source is from my Samsung UN55MU6300, so my costs would jump up considerably. That said, I have access to a Marantz AV8801a and Parasound A23. It'd absolutely be overkill for a 2.0 setup, but would the sound improvement justify the burden of adding in more equipment and cost?
As a dac/pre-amp I'm using the Yamaha wxc-50
and since I'm running a 2.0 stereo system
I cannot help or know anything about the avr like Marantz AV8801a,
sorry for this.

For sure
the Parasound A23
and Yamaha A-S1100 ( A=Authenticity, S= Supreme)
are on a different league.

Why ?

A23 uses a total of 12 bipolar transistors
in a complementary class B final stage design,
6 x channel

A-S1100 uses ONLY 4 x power MOSFET N-Channel in total
in a quasi-complementary class B final stage design,
2 x channel

So Yamaha uses in its high-end top of the line A-S amps
less electronics on the output power stage path
hence
more hi fidelity
reliability
semplicity
etc
and
less
distortions
and noise.

Noise ?

Yamaha
in the A-S series
connets the 2 speaker wires of each channel
directly to the 2 output stage of the 2 power mosfet on eah channel
so leaving each speaker litteraly "floating" and not connected to ground or anything
(nor output condenser)
so
if you do NOT put any signal at input and/or turn down at zero the pre-amp volume knob
and you turn the volume knob at max on the A-S amp
you cannot hear anything at all on the speakers
even if you put your ears directly attached firmly to the tweeters of your speakers.

Try this on any other power amp and then let us know your findings/what you hear .

In reality
we are comparing a 1600 euro power amp , the Parasound A23,
with the technology in the Yamaha A-S1100 which is the same of the A-S3000
that is
a 5000 euro (or more) powe amp
whch is already a world's legend in power amps.

Last edited:

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
A23 uses a total of 12 bipolar transistors in a complementary class B final stage design,
6 x channel

Um.... the Parasound A23 is a 125w/ch Stereo Power Amp. (£1200, Stone Audio UK)

Model Halo A 23 « Parasound

Parasound A23 - Complementary MOSFET driver stage and JFET input stage

I would say the Yamaha AS801 is the top of the consumer line from Yamaha. The Yamaha AS1100 is the bottom of the Audiophile line of amps from Yamaha. But the price gap between the AS801 and AS1100 is pretty considerable.

Peter Tyson - Yamaha A-S801 Integrated Amplifier

Peter Tyson - Yamaha A-S1100 Amplifier

But I don't doubt that the AS1100 is a pretty fantastic amp, but £1200 is not cheap. But if a person is in the market for a £1200 amp, this is certainly one to consider.

Yamaha UK/IE - A-S1100 - Overview

Yamaha UK/IE - A-S801 - Overview

However a £1200 amp might be a tad overkill for the Tannoy Revolution XT6F speakers (£900/pr) that the Original Poster is contemplating.

Right now, Peter Tyson has the absolute lowest prices on the Yamaha AS801 which has 100w/ch and 24b/384k DSD ESS Sabre DACs (£699). Though unrelated to the quality of the amp, the Yamaha AS1100 does not have built in DACs.

£1200 = €1328

For what it is worth.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:

droidlike

The Yamaha AS1100 is the bottom of the Audiophile line of amps from Yamaha. But the price gap between the AS801 and AS1100 is pretty considerable.
Difference between
top of the line A-S3000
and bottom A-S1100
is in the final power stage
and it's really minimal

toroidal transformer and 4 x 22'000microF on A-S3000
EI frame transformer and 4 x 18'000microF on A-S1100

not enought to make any sonic percepible difference at normal/human/reasonable spl

I got mine A-S1100 ex-demo for around 1000 euro which is about £900
so not far away from A-S801 £700

and for only £200 more
if available as ex-demo (or used?)
you can get the top of the line tech and among best in class power amps
like the A-S1100

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
For Reference -

Onkyo | A-9050

75 W/Ch (8 Ω, 1 kHz, 0.08% THD, 2 Channels Driven, IEC)
Wolfson® 192 kHz/24-Bit DAC (WM8718)

The power rating is slightly exaggerated since it is only tested at 1khz, but full spectrum, it should be safe to say a solid 70w/ch.

In many cases it is the Power Supply behind the amp rather than the Amp itself that determine the driving power of the amplifier. This is one of the few amps where the power rating actually goes down when driving 4 ohm speakers -

(FTC) 65 watts minimum continuous power per
channel, 4 ohm loads, 2 channels driven at 1 kHz,
with a maximum total harmonic distortion of 0.08 %

Likely that either indicates poor cooling or a weak power supply.

Steve/bluewizard

droidlike

fwiw, I wrote in post #6

>> 3 times heavier then the Onkio, 24kg for the A-S1100 vs 8kg for the Onkio

best practice in evaluating how good is any linear class B power amps is the weight

isn't it anymore ?

for example the Parasound A23 is almost half the weight of
each of the 3 high-end yamaha , A-S3000 or A-S2100
or even the bottom of the line A-S1100 that weights as much as each of the 2 big brothers ;)

isn't it ?

Last edited:

GPaschakis

Standard Member
They both have their strengths, but the XT6F is more punchy in the low end and still sounds plenty full at low volume, areas where I felt the Silver 200 could have been stronger in (and frankly same with the Silver 300). They are both equally clear and detailed in the mids and highs and it's probably a toss-up there. At audition, the XT6Fs were broken in, so you're right that it may not be comparing apples to apples. Nonetheless, the ear wants what it wants (and also the wallet).

Open to suggestions.
I totally agree with IDGreen. After my first demo with a Rokson K3, I wanted to demo them with a very powerful amp in order to make sure I will get their full capabilities since they are a bit less sensitive than the last model. I managed to demo them with a Cyrus pre and power amp (200w). I played a wide spectrum of tracks from jazz, prog rock and experimental electronic music. The MA 200 is a very good speaker and certainly a looker. It has a very impressive midrange for the money and I think the new twitter perhaps sounds a bit more natural indeed. On the down side, I think it's totally lacking in bass and kick when it comes to comparison with the silver 6. I tried them with 3 different amps(various watts) and every time it seemed like there was something missing. Yes, it is a very controlled speaker but the excitement that the old silver 6 had is totally gone. I think the best way to describe it, is that the overall bass performance sounds restrained and carefully boxed(i assume the smaller cabinet size had its effect). As far as direct comparison goes with the old silver 6 I would say that probably the 200 is a bit more sophisticated speaker suitable for more eclectic music tastes (female vocals, piano, jazz etc) with certainly the focus be the ''modern way of living'' as MA suggests but certainly not as fun as the old one. I assume in order to get the same power feel and the excitement of the old silver 6 had you need to skip straight to the Silver 300 instead (which costs approximately £350 more). But to be clear this is just an assumption since I only demoed the 200s.

As far as I'm concerned I am now 100% sure that my new pair of speakers will be the old silver 6 while the stock lasts.

corsuse

Novice Member
GPaschakis, very informative and detailed review!

If anyone has experience it would be interesting to compare Bronze 6 with Silver 6 and the new Silver 200 in terms of warmth, bass depth and soundstage. Has anyone compared these speakers side by side? I have heard only Bronze 6 paired with Naim UnitiQute2 and I really liked how warm they sounded, and how deep and strong the bass was. I've read that the Silver line is more detailed and of higher quality but sounds more "cold" or "clinical" and the Bronze tends to be warmer, is that true? In addition which of the three models do you think will sound more open and with punchier and fuller bass at low listening volumes?

langelo68

Novice Member
wondering if anyone has been able to compare the Monitor Audio Silver 200 vs Q Acoustics Concept 40. any thoughts greatly appreciated. The Q acoustics seem easier to find in the US than the monitor audio silver. listened to concept 20s and was blown away with the insight and transparency! wondering about the Concept 40...
Monitor Audio Silver 200

mudan

I currently have the MA RX6 at home. I heard the Silver 200, 300, B&W CM8S2 and PSB Imagine T on the end of an integrated Naim 5si and CD player. The Silver 200 are more evenly balanced sounding and cleaner than the RX6 and integration from high to low is great - an excellent engineered speaker in my view, so you can trust the WHF review. The Silver 300 added more depth and bass punch and the midrange driver made vocals richer, however I wasn't totally sure if this driver integrated the best with the bass unit. The B&W had a deep punchy bass and was quite revealing throughout however I didn't find it the most natural sounding or have the best imaging. The PSB were unboxy but not to my liking at all. I plan to hear the Tannoy 6F, Kef Q750 etc this weekend.

Unless the 6F really wins me over ( I used to have a 609II DC in the past that I admired), then I suspect the Silver 300 will be my choice. Many love the older Silver 8:

Monitor Audio Silver 8 loudspeaker
'I've been looking at speakers for $3000/pair or less for a while, and have not heard any that I would prefer to the Monitor Audio Silver 8'

Monitor Audio Silver 8 floorstanding loudspeaker
Monitor Audio Silver 8 Speaker Review

Last edited:

mudan

As an update, I heard the Tannoy XT6F and XT8F, MA Silver 200 and 300 this weekend. I've sold my RX6 and ordered the Silver 300.

Monaco777

Novice Member
hi, what's better speakers off monitor audio silver 10 , or monitor audio silver 300 , better saund quolity ( treble) thanks ???

mudan

If you want the most refined sound, get the Silver 300. If you want a bigger box with bigger bass but still great according to reviews then the 10 would suit.

mudan

500? Nice! My room is not big enough for them.

mudan

Not sure about recommendations - see the site perhaps but all have recommended wall clearance. My 300 are used closer than recommended but sound fine. My room is 4.5x3m and you could say the 300 are a touch big but I wanted the 3 way. The 500 are a big box and probably a little too big for a 4x4m I suspect... Depends on the appearance in the room and resulting output too. 300 at the most I'd say but you may even be happy with the 200

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month

Latest News

Anthem launches latest AV receivers, processors and amplifiers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Naim and Focal discount premium music systems
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Sky and NOW TV UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 28th October 2020
  • By Phil Hinton