First HTPC build and two issues

Parklife

I have never built a PC before but thought I would give it a go with a HTPC to hook up to a Pioneer Kuro 600m and Onkyo 876

Gigabyte H57M-USB3, Intel H57, 1156, PCI-E 2.0 (x16), DDR3 2200+/1800, SATA 3GB/s RAID, mATX, VGA
Intel Core i3 530 Dual Core Clarkdale 32nm, 2.93GHz, 4MB Cache, 73W, Integrated GPU @ 733MHz, Retail
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit, Single, - OEM
Edimax EW-7728In 802.11n v2.0 300Mbps wireless PCI card
Antec Fusion Remote Black, Micro-ATX, HTPC/Desktop with IR & Remote, w/o PSU
Logitech diNovo Mini Bluetooth Handheld Keyboard
40GB Intel X25-V, MLC-Flash, 2.5"
1.5TB Western Digital WD15EARS Caviar Green, 5400+rpm, 64Mb Cache, 8ms
LG CH08LS10 Blu-Ray Reader and DVDRW Drive Blu-Ray Read Speed: 8x
450W Corsair HX450W Modular Power Supply x 1 24 Pin + P8/P4
2 x 2GB G.Skill RipJaws 1600MHz DDR3 Dual Channel Memory Kit

Install all went OK once I worked out some of the case cabling and I need to tidy the cabling up a bit, although there is not a great deal of room in the case!!

Issues
1. 1.5TB drive cannot be seen in My Computer although it shows up in Device Manager.....any ideas?
2. Stock cooler is too loud and I need to replace....any suggestions?

Last edited:

ollyrayns

looking good, just about to build my first HTPC, at the moment im using my i7 pc as one, so a bit of a downgrade because using a 775 socket motherboard for the media center.
:thumbsup:

bubsy83

Is the 1.5tb drive the primary or secondary? im guessing secondary if your using a 40gb SSD

If it is secondary you probably need to partition it to make it show in my computer.

Windows has its own tool for this job - called 'Disk Management'. Unlike 'My Computer', it shows every drive connected to the system - formatted/partitioned or not. Access it by Right clicking on 'My Computer', and selecting 'Manage'. In the left-hand pane, select 'Disk Management'

Now, in the right-hand pane, you'll see your Hard Drives and Optical Drives - hopefully including the new drive which will show up as 'unallocated space'. New disks appear as Not Initialized. Microsoft state that if you start Disk Management after adding a disk, the Initialize Disk Wizard appears so you can initialize the disk. If for any reason it does not, you can initialize it manually. Just right-click on the new disk's 'label' (the gray box to the right of the black bar that denotes the unallocated space), and select 'Initialize'.

When done, you can begin to format the drive. Here are the instructions to create a single partition the full size of your new drive

• Right-click unallocated space on the basic disk you want to format, and then click New Partition.
  • In the New Partition Wizard, click Next
  • Select 'Extended partition', click Next.
  • Specify the full size of the disk in the 'Partition size in MB' box and then click Next
  • Click Finish
  • You will now be returned to the main Disc Management screen. The new disc will now be highlighted in light green (indicating free space), and bordered in dark green (indicating an extended partition). Now, we'll create a partition within this free space. Right-click the free space, and select New Logical Drive. Click next in the wizard that appears
  • Select Logical drive, click next
  • This screen shows the maximum and minimum partition sizes. Specify the maximum size here for one partition that will fill the disc. Click next.
  • On this screen, choose to assign a free drive letter. Click next.
  • Now choose to format the partition. Choose NTFS, with the default Allocation unit size. The volume label is whatever you want the drive to be called. Don't enable file and folder compression, and I'd also recommend you don't perform a quick format on a new drive. The default full format checks the entire surface of the disc for problems. Click next, then finish, and you're done!
Now go and grab something to eat/drink, as this will take a while on a large drive.

Last edited:

bubsy83

Also your fan might be set to run at full speed all the time, you can change the settings in the bios so the fan runs at low rpm unless the cpu heats up then the fan will speed up.

Parklife

Brilliant...thanks busby83! 2 schoolboy errors....found the cpu fan was catching on it's own cable! Drive is formatting now :)

So I will stick it out with the stock cooler and see what I think :thumbsup:

Parklife

Now fitted it in my hifi rack (only just fits!) and connected to amp. Dolby TRUE HD and DTS HD working first time after following wolvers' thread.

Here are a few more pics

jameson_uk

Now fitted it in my hifi rack (only just fits!)
Know that feeling... I also have the Onkyo 876 which is a beast :D Hopefully the final piece of the jigsaw (my Hifi stand) will be turning up today. My kit looks suprisingly like yours :rolleyes:

Trending threads

Top Bottom