First HT Sound System - Help and Advice

HTandTech

Novice Member
Hi All,

I'm looking to purchase my first proper home theatre sound system. I currently have an old LG BluRay / HT in a box set up, it's connected to an LG OLED65C9 - which is excellent! I've wanted a new system for a long time, and I've done a lot of research, but there seems to be a lot of options out there. So I am looking for some advice on which AVR and speakers to buy to match the great TV.

The room size is 7.5m by 4m with no real alcoves or odd shapes, I've attached a diagram showing where the TV and sofa is - the sofa is about 3m from the TV which is recessed in the opposite wall. The TV is a little above head height and angled down towards the sofa. Beneath the TV is recessed shelves which house the Sky box, the centre speaker, HT, etc. I've recently renovated the room and installed good quality speaker cable (Chord C-screen) in the usual positions to the sides of the TV, sofa, etc. However, I didn't install cable for in-ceiling atmos speakers, so I'll have to rely on upward firing atmos speakers I guess. I think that ultimately I'd like a 5.1.2 setup, maybe 5.1.4 in the future (maybe the room isn't big enough for this). The ceiling is flat and about 2.3m high.

The TV is mostly used for just TV - Sky TV, streaming, movies, gaming, etc. I usually use Sonos and Google speakers for music. I'm looking for a very good home theatre experience, with great spacial surround sound. I do need to be a bit sympathetic to neighbours though. Also, my partner wants the speakers to be reasonably discreet, so huge floor-standing speakers are out of the question unfortunately. I want an update to date and future proof system that can also provide the best visual quality for everything is like to connect to it. I've looked at a few options, but I'm open to any suggestions at all. I don't really want to spend the earth and would like the most bang for buck, but I don't mind spending more on a very good deal. So far I've looked at these AVR's and speaker systems:

Onkyo HT-S5915 system (not enough?)
Sony STR-DN1080 (too old though?)
Denon AVR-X3600H (too much?)

Onkyo SKSHT588 speakers
Wharfedale DX-2
Q Acoustics 3010i 5.1 Pack
Q Acoustics 7000i Plus
Focal Sib Evo 5.1.2

I haven't listed any separate atmos speakers, and I don't really know what ones would be good to pair. I think I'm more drawn to a full atmos package, if I had to choose now, I'd say the Denon AVR-X3600H with Focal Sib Evo 5.1.2. Would this be a good pairing? As I say I'm open to any suggestions though and any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you've read this far then thank you very much for putting up with my ramblings. Again, I appreciate any help you can give :)

Luke

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-05-05 at 20.20.41.png
    Screenshot 2020-05-05 at 20.20.41.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 42

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
'future proof system' - tricky as all you can do is purchase kit which supports todays video and audio formats.

The most 'up-to-date' Feature you may want to support is eARC rather than ARC - that allows for uncompressed audio from the TV to the AVR.

Loudspeakers don't tend to change much over the years - if you go small and discrete you put more reliance on the Sub to fill in below the rest of the loudspeaker systems.

Your room/seating layout has a few challenges at the rear of the room for 'surround' effects with the seating set into the 'lop' sided rear wall.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom