First HT build - advice on choice and placement of equipment in an open plan room

Sugger

Novice Member
Hi,

Planning to build a media wall along the lines of the below image in our open plan lounge/diner. Was originally thinking of upgrading my soundbar to a SONOS arc or something similar but would mean positioning the TV even higher due to the electric fire (an absolute must for my wife who would rather have no TV 😱). If I do go down the separates route I am a complete novice.

My TV is a 65" Samsung Q85R and I have been looking at both new and used AV kit to build a 5.1 setup for <£800. Having read various other posts it seems Wharfedale D2s or QA 3101s are recommended for the speaker element. I think I'll go for the QAs, though should I consider any other options incl. 2nd hand? What is the best way to position speakers in this kind of room layout where one wall is missing to reflect the sound?

As far as AV receivers are concerned I am up a creek w/o a paddle so advice for new & used is most welcome. Many receivers previously recommended are out of stock new.

My 2nd quandary concerns how best to place the speakers due to the open plan nature of the lounge? Hopefully my crude drawing make sense. TV to sofa is 3m and the whole lounge/diner is 10m long, with the lounge itself being 5m long.

Lounge.jpg

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Make sure you check bundle deals, don`t go buying them individually. 800£ is really low budget, you will still need speaker stands/wall brackets depending where you place them at front/rear. Surround l/r to rear corners with stands if the door is kept closed. About 60£/pair cheapest stands.

1100£ lowest price for QA3000i 5.1 + Denon bundle.

Denon X1600H based (2019 model, no latest hdmi 2.1 connections mostly for gamers anyway):

1050£ with 5.1 Yamaha (2020 model):

Definitely the QAs over the Wharfedales.

I would also consider Dali Spektors if you can fit the larger 2 model at front and then pick the smaller Spektor 1 for "rears" to keep wife happy. They look very nice in white.

Here you can see them in white and check the dimensions for 1 and 2.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom