First House Looking To Setup Home Cinema

lilpaul

Standard Member
Im in the process of doing up my first house and was interested in setting up a home cinema in the back room.

The room is 12ft x 12ft and i'm looking to buy a ceiling mounted projector.

My av equipment will be the far side of the room next to the screen when i eventually get it. So im cutting a channel into the wall to run all my cables through before its plastered.

My intention is to run an a/v amp where all my feeds will come in - sky, xbox, wii and dvd play and run a hdmi cable from that up to my projector.

Power to the projector will come from upstairs so no need to run that up the wall.

I've not yet started to look at projectors or screens yet.

I however have a couple of questions

1.) Can anyone give me an idea of the average size of screen I can get away with in a 12ft room?

2.) Are there any other cables that are required to be run to the projector

3.) Are there any other things I need to take into consideration?

Obviously I'll be reading up on the reviews for screens / projectors over the few weeks. Just don't want to miss anything whilst the walls have no plaster on and are undecorated.

Basically starting with a blank canvas and couple do with advise on things to look out for.

Any help would be appreciated :)

namastebuzz

1) Go for as big as you feel comfortable with. 85"-120" (diagonal) would be a rough guide. Depends on your projector and your budget. A lot of DLPs have limited throw/zoom so need to be a long way back to get a decent screen size. Projection Calculator Pro - Projector to Screen Distance have calculators for each model so you can figure it out. For example an Infocus X10 right at the back of your room would struggle to fill an 80" screen as it's zoom is only 1.1:1.

2) If EVERYTHING is going through your AV Amp and coming out in HDMI then in theory all you need is one HDMI and a 240v mains supply. In practice I'd run a 2nd HDMI and maybe some sort of analogue cable just so you have some future flexibility. You may as well run your speaker cabling discretely too while you're at it.

3) Is it gonna be a dedicated AV room or multi-purpose? You need to think about light control for the PJ and also dark/velvet wall covering to maximise contrast. Consider floor/wall coverings to minimize sound waves reverberating round the room too. A fixed screen is best IMO unless it needs to be retractable for other purposes.

Have a look at the DIY forums to see other peoples' builds - it's a mine of information and you can get any questions answered I'm sure.

Good luck and don't forget to post up some photos of your project when it gets underway :smashin:

bravogolf

Love that stage, experimenting and setting up :) In terms of AV amp's the Onkyo 605 and above has the ability to output all inputs via HDMI (so, in my setup, I have a two components, an RGB and two HDMI inputs into the amp and just one HDMI running to the projector). It's very handy and missus friendly, would be a right pain to have all sorts of cables running up the wall

binbag

Square rooms can be acoustically problematic and as you are at the best point to install room treatments it would be worth spending a few hours reading up on small room acoustics. Start with standing waves; if your room is 12x12x8 you'll have plenty.

Buy the PJ last. It's a progressive field that is agressively priced so the in the few weeks that your PJ is sat in the box waiting to go up you could have got a better model or saved money on this one. This also gives you more opportunity to audition different types and brands of PJ to see which you prefer. :smashin:

bravogolf

Square rooms can be acoustically problematic and as you are at the best point to install room treatments it would be worth spending a few hours reading up on small room acoustics. Start with standing waves; if your room is 12x12x8 you'll have plenty.

Would be interested in any good links you have on that, want to tweak my existing setup (new projector, maybe sneak some new speakaers in) :)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom