First house, first home cinema setup...

Discussion in 'Members DIY Home Cinema Showcases' started by Danorak1981, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Danorak1981

Danorak1981
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi guys.

I've not posted a great deal here yet as I'm still doing lots of reading etc, but there is a section that really grabs my attention, and thats the home setups page.

I've always been fascinated looking at others setups, be it for gaming or computing etc. So, here's mine

We moved into our first house in November '10, and I already knew how I wanted my setup. The previous occupants had already had one of the two fireplaces blocked off as it's a 1930's house. They blocked one off as they had the TV above it and ran the cables through the old chimney breast. So here's a shot of the fireplace that was in, and once removed, along with wall paper and my old bedroom TV stand:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My Uncle is a plastrerer, so he came and replastered the chimney breast and I asked him to plaster the inside of the fireplace as this is where I want my gear.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We are going for a off white and green lounge, with whites and natural woods, so this is how it looked when it had been papered and the TV/speakers mounted:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was really pleased with it. We decided to keep the quarry tiles that were down, but as they didn't go all the way to the back of the fireplace, I took them up carefully and we re-used them in the fireplace. The skirting needed to be replaced as it used to have a fire surround there: which was annoying because the guy who we bought the house off was a carpenter, and all the skirting board had been custom made. So, we removed a bit of skirting from an un-see-able part of the house and used it to finish the front of the fireplace. I also made 6 floating shelves out of roofing timber, which I planed and stained to sit each side of the fireplace. No relevance to the AV setup, but I was quite pleased with how they came out!

[​IMG]

Then, in the early part of this year, I replaced the 32" Sony LCD with a 42" Toshiba LED TV. The result:

[​IMG]

I then discovered out of the shop in which the TV was demonstrated that the sound on these TV's is awful. And it also played sound-delay havoc with my AIO Sony home cinema. So, I had to start saving for a new home cinema set-up. In the meantime, I tidied up the fireplace by creating a false back panel to hide the wires. This in turn, was painted the same colour as the walls (Dulux Almost Oyster). However, I kept looking at it and was continually un-happy with it. I didn't like the skirting board I had used inside, I didn't like the gaps etc. I did like the backlighting, so was definitely keeping that!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To be continued....

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  2. Danorak1981

Danorak1981
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    ...so I set about making a box out of MDF:

[​IMG]

The idea with this was to make it glossy white, and all the edges to be perfectly square. I covered the box in vinyl that I bought from a local signwriter, the same stuff you see on window displays etc. I lightly sanded the MDF, a tiny bit of spray glue, and proceeded to wrap all the panels. No pictures of this stage i'm afraid, but here it is finished:

[​IMG]

Well, kind of. I knew I wanted a new home cinema system, so when I knew what I was getting, out it all had to come again so I could cater for all the new wiring. I didn't want to cut the plugs off my new gear, so I ran a new double extension plug into the fireplace and cut an appropriate sized hole in the rear panel. All the cable comes from the right hand facing side as this was the hole they used and is better for access to the plugs. I like wires being totally hidden: which is why I couldn't wait to cover this lot up...:

[​IMG]

So, once complete, this is what I was left with on the week up to christmas:

[​IMG]

And this is how it stands at the moment:

[​IMG]

I'll get a better picture tomorrow with my camera in daylight. But i'm really pleased with it, more-so as it's my first house; I've never wallpapered, I've never built floating shelves, or really done anything DIY related. All the ideas and techniques etc have just come from plenty of reading and research!

Now, for the current tech spec:
    a Wii
    a Sky+ HD box
    a Toshiba 42SL738B LED TV
    a Sony STR-DH520 Receiver
    a Sony BDP-S185 Blu-Ray player
    an Apple TV2
    and a Yamaha NS-P40 speaker package.

I also boxed in all the cables on the right of the chimney as you can see (Wii-motes on top), and this will be covered in carpet.

Obviously we'll be replacing the carpet with a light brown/beige number to match the colour scheme of the room, but that is the lot for now!

I had previously made my own Mac desk for the lounge out of gloss white kitchen panels from B&Q (here) and what kicked it off was my 'retro console' setup (here & here). :rolleyes:

Hope you like (don't be put off by the horrid carpet for the time being!)
    Dan :)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  3. Silverblack

Silverblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +578
    That's a job well done there fella, i'm really liking your setup.:smashin:

4. acgwilliam

acgwilliam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Fantastic work and love the story, the home cinema upgrade bug is an expensive but enjoyable one

5. Riggy

Riggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Nice job there man, really good conversion there :D

Problem is now, you'll just want to do more and more.
    I share your love for the home cinema galleries, but since I signed up to this forums, I've spent well above what I intended to spend and my plans have got bigger and bigger! This place has no mercy :D

6. Danorak1981

Danorak1981
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks guys. It's not 100% at the moment. You can see the wires going from the satellite speakers behind the TV, so I'll be sorting that out by drilling at an angle through the wall directly behind the speakers and feeding it into the chimney breast. I also need a component extension lead as the cable hooking the Wii up to the TV is only 2m and it's pulled tight, hence the fact the Wii is right up against the receiver. AND the bottom of the left side panel keeps coming away. But all these things are little bits and pieces I can do over free weekends etc.

So, as I mentioned, here are some better images that I took this morning...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's nice because when you're on the sofa, the TV is eye level. And as before, it'll be so much better when the new carpet is down (you can see a sample of the colour we're going).

The next job I'm doing is converting the small 3rd bedroom into a computer room, so that should be fun. Got all my sketches done, just got to get the cash together to do it :laugh:

7. benjimcc

benjimcc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Its all looking great and your front room is the same shape as mine in my new house. Just started on the work really but were starting to see results. We have done the same with the fireplace and im liking the lighting around the tv and inside the fireplace. What did you use?

8. a l e x

a l e x
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,577
    Looks good that. I just moved into my first house too and put a few pics up here. Still so tempted to wall mount the TV...

9. Digimons

Digimons

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Great work, quite a transformation from what you started with and the finished product :smashin:

10. Danorak1981

Danorak1981
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the comments guys:thumbsup:

It's not a massively expensive job or to the standard of some, but it's not too bad. It's been chopped and changed loads in the time it's been up, but im happy with ho it is. As above, a few little issues to sort out but nothing major at all.

The lighting is from Ikea, it's called Ledberg. It's 3 lighting strips that usually clip together, but I modified the plug to split into three parts so I could run them all off their own wire so I could place them where I want. Two are on the back of the TV and one is in the fireplace. The switch is also in the fireplace behind a plinth at the top (you can see a ridge in the wallpaper where the plinth is, the switch is behind there).

It's quite cheap LED lighting really, decent quality for £11. Does the job and looks quite subtle. Although, I did have to run a strip of black tape along the length on the one in the fireplace as it was too bright, but only half the width so it lets out a dim glow. The glossy panels really reflected the light!