First home -wall mounting tv

littlesheepy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've spent a few years gradually getting myself a nice little tv setup and finally have my own house. One of the things I've always wanted it to have my tv wall mounted. I'm now in a position where I can do so and have hit a snag.. my tv power cable isn't long enough and is fixed into the back of the tv :(
I intend on wall mounting the tv with a kind of hollow shelf to run the cables in underneath, where if all goes to plan, I can join it up down the side of the chimney breast with my av stuff :) any ideas regarding the power cable? Any help most appreciated :) (my setup is in my signature)

I plan to overcome this problem when I wall-mount my own TV by adding a spur to my existing ring main and get a socket closer to the TV and my other AV components. Adding a spur to an existing circuit in the lounge is not notifiable work, but you do obviously need to be competent and possess the skills and knowledge to do it !

If this isn't an option for you, the simplest alternative option would be to use some kind of extension lead - do you have room behind or under the TV, to do this neatly ?

Another thing worth checking - the power cables for some TVs enter the rear behind a removeable planel - if you take this off, you can often see the terminal that the cable is wired to, which would give you ther option of replacing it with a longer alternative.

mikej said:
I plan to overcome this problem when I wall-mount my own TV by adding a spur to my existing ring main and get a socket closer to the TV and my other AV components. Adding a spur to an existing circuit in the lounge is not notifiable work, but you do obviously need to be competent and possess the skills and knowledge to do it !

If this isn't an option for you, the simplest alternative option would be to use some kind of extension lead - do you have room behind or under the TV, to do this neatly ?

Another thing worth checking - the power cables for some TVs enter the rear behind a removeable planel - if you take this off, you can often see the terminal that the cable is wired to, which would give you ther option of replacing it with a longer alternative.

Sadly my nearest socket is the other side of the room, I'm already using an extension from the for my av equipment. Also, having just moved into the property, I don't have the knowledge of the electrics (its an old style fuse box) or how to do it for it to be an option at the moment.

I don't think there'll be room behind or under the tv either for an extension, as I plan to hide the cables in a hollow 'fake' shelf which won't be big enough for a plug.
I will however have a nosy when I get home to see if it looks like the panel where the cable comes from looks like its removable. I'm hoping so! Thanks very much :)

It doesn't look like it has a removable panel as far as I can tell :( any other suggestions?

Get an electrician in and get some additional sockets fitted.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom