First Home Renovation & Extension Build Log

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Maily, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Maily

Maily
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Hi Everybody,

After 2 years of looking we got the keys to our first family home in July 2016. It took me a while getting round to putting this together and as the work is currently ongoing i thought it would be a good way for me to document and log my project and what i am thinking of doing.

I am also you might have some helpful ideas or suggestions.

I will start by posting lots of pictures of the house as we first bought it and then showing it as it is slowly being gutted and work begins. Would really love to hear your thoughts and suggestions.

2. Maily

Maily
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Garage & Outside Spaces

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Maily

Maily
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Downstairs:

Front Room:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Living Room (to be extended and made oppen plan with kitchen/diner)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kitchen (to be turned into Downstairs Bath/Shower Room & Utility Room)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Storage Cupboard

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hallway:

[​IMG]

StairCase:

[​IMG]

4. Maily

Maily
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Upstairs: I am still undecided about all the wood :|

[​IMG]

Hallway:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bedroom 1:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bedroom 2: Box

[​IMG]

Bedroom 3: (Master)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bathroom/Toilet (Turning the Toilet into a storage cupboard)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Loft (My office and where all my lan cat6 cables will lead to)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Maily

Maily
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Stripping Begins of wallpaper, carpets and also start drawing on walls for electrician for power sockets, light switches, network points and in living room for audio cables.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chimney Dangerous!!!! Need to get it removed i think.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Maily

Maily
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I've been lurking on the forum for years and never really post much so this thread is my first proper contribution.
    Electrical Wiring/Cat 6 Cabling and Speaker Cabling going in. I am wiring my speaker setup for a 5.1 Surround Sound powered by an Onyko AMP And Onkyo 5.1 Speakers. Nothing to fancy or high tech my overall setup is fairly basic nothing to special here.

I went for MonoPrice Cable which ive heard is good any one have any thoughts????

Anyone got any idea what height i need to mount my speakers on the wall at????

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First fix of Cat 6 cable being run to front room for TV obviously will be channeled into walls later on.

[​IMG]

Sockets being wired in

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Speaker and Cat 6 Cable to where my TV will be.

[​IMG]

Front Left Speaker -

[​IMG]

Wiring in the Loft

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This will become a storage cupboard/closet and the toilet will move into the bathroom.

[​IMG]

Speaker and Cat 6 cable running in the floor between joists.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

All my speakers coming back to the panel behind my TV Cabinet

[​IMG]

Rear left

[​IMG]

Rear right

[​IMG]

Bought these for charging phone at night in the bedroom i know its early but it was 2 for £15 seemed like a waste not to :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
  7. Maily

Maily
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    So my building work has started approx 2 weeks ago below are some photos of the foundations being dug out for my extension which will be 5.3M long and approx 6m wide.

The initial plans were to build our new kitchen in the extension only. The existing kitchen which is 2m wide and 3.96m long was going to be partitioned in half to make one half a downstairs bathroom/shower room and the other half we were going to turn into a utility room and place a door in the kitchen to access this but we are realizing now our main kitchen might be a tad on the small side so i am thinking only to keep the bathroom and get rid of the utility room and just make the kitchen bigger instead.

Had to start by moving our summer house dis-assembled it all hoping to re-assemble it later on further down the garden.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Foundations started the day after the summer house was removed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Gambit1977

Gambit1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    Just subscribed to this as we're just at the same point in our build. Exciting stuff!

9. DCFC79

DCFC79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Keep us updated on the progress.

10. Maily

Maily
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Foundations got approved by Building regulations so concrete was ordered to be poured in.

[​IMG]

Cement being poured from lorry into wheel barrow
    [​IMG]

Plastic sheets put down everywhere to contain the mess and not ruin my driveway :)
    [​IMG]

Can see the sand inside the lorry!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Poured into foundation.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(Sewage Pipe to be replaced so covered to protect from Cement as this cannot be covred in cement or any load placed on this and will need to be replaced and bridged afterwards..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking i'll have some more for you later :)

11. Maily

Maily
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Sewage pipe i mentioned earlier its a pipe runs all the way across my garden so entire section needs to be replaced made out of clay and needs to be replaced with a plastic pipe had to get permission from my water company to do this however!!

[​IMG]

I was at work but they dug it out and replaced it by the time i got back :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Sofa-loafer

Sofa-loafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Very detailed thread, helpful for those looking to take the plunge... Will be popping in to see how you progress. :thumbsup:

13. Maily

Maily
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Thank you guys appreciate the comments. I was scared to make it to detailed but i thought well hoped it would be helpful to others looking. I am doing an AV setup fairly basic with a projector and surround sound plenty of threads here have helped me with ideas for that.

I do have some design decisions to make this week and i was hoping someone could advise???

Need to get an order in for Flat Roof Glass SkyLights. Dimensions approx 1.0 M by 1.5M. I want one that electronically opens and one that is fixed.

I was looking at the Fakro DEF and DXF looking at approx 2.8k for these does anyone else have any other ideas or alternatives? I want triple glazed for good U-Value and because the cost isn't that much more than say the same product in double glazed form from Velux. Am i crazy to think about spending so much on my skylights?

I am also looking to order a 5M wide by 2.5m Sliding door ideally in 3 panel form going across the front of my extension but in reality it will be 4.3m x 2.3/2.4m tall. Found a few i like but they are very pricey... Double glazed only for the door due to weight and cost.

If anyone has any suggestions advice or recommendations for these i would really appreciate it.

I've also uploaded an image of my plans below :) I think it might some people visualize my end goal with a lot of these threads i just see a big hole in the ground and stuff going up without any idea of what people are going for till its actually up maybe that is just me so hopefully this might help you see what i plan to do and how i want to utilize the space also worth noting i might not go for the utility room and just make my kitchen bigger...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Maily

Maily
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Hey Guys,

So the Blocks and engineering bricks have started to go in now that the foundations have passed and the sewage work has been checked and also passed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can see the manhole for the sewage in this picture too.

[​IMG]

Concrete Lintel to bridge the sewage pipes so that no load is placed on the sewage drains.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

New Electrical wiring being run for light switches etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

New Kitchen Tap arrived wife couldn't help ordering this saw it at a house show!!! Bit early though..

[​IMG]

Pipes being run from new extension back to old air bricks as the original house is still on suspended floors with wood under neath so this is important that they sstill get plenty of air.

[​IMG]

You can just about see the pipe and also the hardcore on top.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Maily

Maily
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    OH and more pictures of more electrical points going in:

[​IMG]

Seemed a bit high to me been told its current regulations... sigh..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

another shot of the extension from upstairs.

[​IMG]

Apologies for the poor quality of some of the photos. I have to take in the dark after work and there isn't much light at the moment in the house.

Il leave you all with a lovely evening shot out of my window :)

[​IMG]

16. Maily

Maily
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Good Evening Guys & Gals,

Damn proofing goes in! The polystyrene blocks stop the damn rising up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Plastic pipe going back to original house with suspended wood floors which still need air going to them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Building Inspector then passes all that work :) Next Part begins (this happened over the past few days).

I believe it is called a subfloor? Concrete is laid down not a smooth finish been told another layer to go on top which will be smooth (screed).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The opening is 4.8m :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let me know your thoughts suggestions comments :)

17. BillyHunt

BillyHunt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +125
    Maily have you thought of 1 big roof lantern with electric openers? I went with a 6m x 1.5m lantern with double glazing but reflective coating on the inside. I then fitted triple glazed bi-folds to rear of similar width I.e 6 doors each just under meter wide. Fantastic when it's hot in the summer bringing the garden into the home. Toastie in the winter despite all the glazing.......

18. Maily

Maily
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    We did consider this was told can't have glass longer than 2m but that was for a flat glass roof light if you don't mind me asking what did the lantern cost and where did you buy it from?
    Also where did you get your bi-folds from and again how much if you don't mind me asking feel free to pm me if you don't want to tell everyone :)

I have so far ordered 2 x Fakro Flat Glass Triple Glazed roof lights 1m long by 1.5m wide.
    One of them electronically opens.

Do you also have any pictures of yours just looking for inspiration and ideas for lighting and how to organise it internally flooring etc..

6m x 1.5m is huggeeeeeeeee!!!! I bet it looks amazing though!!

19. BillyHunt

BillyHunt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +125
    Maily re the glass lantern they are individual panels (6) sitting within the frame. You can order larger glass panels as I considered it when thinking of the doors ie 2 sliding doors but the cost was huge. The bifolds were purchased from a local company (Merseyside) who sell centor bifolds (australian) and at the time it worked out around 1k per meter or door in my case.The lantern was manufactured by a company in the Midlands (can't remember name) and installed by same company who did doors. Think the cost was very similar.......few years ago now when work was done. The whole back of the house is open plan with walls knocked through with extension containing kitchen 1 end, snug area in middle and dining area at far end running into living room. Will look to upload photos later.

20. BillyHunt

BillyHunt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +125
    IMAG0237.jpg IMAG0331_BURST001.jpg As promised unfortunately I haven't got any photos showing finished article. The camera on my phone has developed a pink hue. The 2nd picture is looking down from kitchen area. there is now a tv on the wall paneling seen to the RHS and an L shaped settee in front of bifolds with a 6 seater 2m long dining table by the far wall. Both ends are open plan into existing house. The floor is finished in an Amtico floor. Overall size is approx 8mx4m.
    Good luck with your build will be watching with interest.......
    Pictures to date seem to show a fantastic project which will be well worth it.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
  21. Maily

Maily
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Hey Billy,

Thank you much for the pictures apologies for my delay in responding i was driving a lot this weekend!! They look fantastic. You have given me some inspiration and more to think about!!! :) I love the way your radiator is mounted next to the Bi-Folds!!!! Good use of space! Funnily enough i was also contemplating buying either Grey/Black Column radiators but haven't began any research on prices or where i will be buying those want a few to spread downstairs.

£1.3k a meter is roughly what i will be paying for my 5 meter wide sliding door which is only doubled glazed. I do have concerns regarding keeping it all feeling nice and toasty. Perhaps i am just overthinking this and just worrying for no reason as with all the insulation etc around the rest of the extension, it will be fine. Or will it....??? :)

Looking at a sliding door from express bi folds based in Leeds and have been told the U-Value is around 1.0 on their double glazed sliding door!! So i am hoping this will keep the heat in. Considering going for a triple glazed bi-fold but my preference at the moment is with a sliding door (just prefer the look of big glass panels).

I do really love that roof lantern really sets it off. I have bought two flat glass fooflights which are being delivered tomorrow. They are manufactered by Fakro and are Triple glazed units measuring 1.0M X 1.5M and have a U-Value of 0.88. Hopefully these will go someway to keeping it feeling nice and toasty and warm in winter and not to hot in summer either :) Won't look as good as a roof lantern but will go someway to adding light to my extension and existing living space.

I am curious what is that wood paneling? Was that something you had specifically made? It looks very nice very different :)

22. Maily

Maily
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Hey Guys,

Few more pictures of the walls going up pretty much finished now :) I believe RSJ Beams are going in next!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you are wondering why is some of that wall made of Brick it is because that is the part of the wall my neighbours over that side will see and rather than rendering that part also i decided it be better if all they see is brick!!! From my side all that will be seen is a rendered finish.

[​IMG]

Need to find a decent bathroom set now, column radiators, engineered wood flooring so if you have any suggestions please do let me know :)

23. BillyHunt

BillyHunt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +125
    Mainly sorry for delay been working in Scotland, the paneling idea came from the kitchen designer I used. The Joiner who installed the kitchen had to come up with the way of fixing to the wall. Basically it's 2.4x1.5m panels that were dowelled and "glued" to the walls. It matches the wood in the kitchen units and makes a great wall feature, which everyone comments on who visits.

You will be surprised how warm the new build will be in the winter. Ours is the warmest part of the house......having said that I had 3 x big double upright rads fitted to make sure it was toastie especially being fully open plan into the living area which is now approx 11m long from front to back and the kitchen on the other side which is around 7m long front to back.
    Your build is progressing well and will be worth it in the end.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
  24. Maily

Maily
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Thank you so much for getting back to me, It looks fantastic. think you are right between the cavity walls and insulation and thick wood flooring and decent radiators it should be pretty cosy :) Can't wait to get this finished!!!!!! Right i have more pictures for you all from the last 2 days :) Even a few daytime ones really spoiling you guys now my builder is kind enough to send me some pics as i am at work during the day (work far away).

25. Maily

Maily
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Sky Roof Lights Arrived Weighing in over 100kg each!!!!!!

[​IMG]

Support going in upstairs:

[​IMG]

RSJ installed in existing living room

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

RSJ for the extension installed too

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Today Chimney was removed and Joists going in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

RSJ downstiars

[​IMG]

26. Maily

Maily
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Chimney

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chimney gone

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Most of the kitchen gone

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. Maily

Maily
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Sorry guys haven't posted in a while will try upload more pictures shortly it's coming along fast.

@BillyHunt could you please tell me where you bought your vertical radiator from and if you know the price and btu value. I'm trying to find a decent vertical radiator. Thank you: )

28. BillyHunt

BillyHunt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +125
    @BillyHunt could you please tell me where you bought your vertical radiator from and if you know the price and btu value. I'm trying to find a decent vertical radiator. Thank you: )[/QUOTE]

I've tried to find the information/receipts Maily but no joy. It's 3 years since I did the work, but what I do remember is the 3 radiators I've fitted are in excess of 20k btu :smashin:. We like to keep warm ;) especially as its all open plan across the back of the house and we strategically positioned them to maximise the warmth they provide.......
    If I do find invoices I'll let you know.

29. Maily

Maily
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Thank you Billy. :) sorry for the delay in getting some pictures got man flu.

20k BTU is mental I'm struggling to find sensibly priced ones for even 10k BTU. Settled for 2 @ 8900 BTU for living areas and a 7900 for kitchen hopefully should be enough for the area I've got.

30. Mr_Wistles

Mr_Wistles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Great thread, loving all the pictures!