First Home Cinema System

jamie9141

Novice Member
Hello!

I am in the market for a Home Cinema System, and wondered if I could please get some advice and any recommendations based on my layout and TV?

I have an LG OLED65C8 and the layout of the room is as attached. Blue being the sofa and green being the TV. TV is not yet wall mounted but it is something I am looking into the pros and cons of. I am looking for a setup that can support Dolby Atmos.

I was looking at the Onkyo HT-S5915. Would this setup work with my layout? It is at the top end of my budget so would be happy to hear if it's overkill as it isn't a massive space I am filling.

Any advice or recommendation much appreciated. Thanks very much

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-04-02 at 16.22.35.png
    Screenshot 2020-04-02 at 16.22.35.png
    172.2 KB · Views: 97

mb3195

Distinguished Member
The right surround is going to cause you a bit of a problem unless you could mount it in a stand?

What is your receiver budget?

jamie9141

Novice Member
The right surround is going to cause you a bit of a problem unless you could mount it in a stand?

What is your receiver budget?

Hi! Thanks for your reply. I will probably have all speakers on stands as I think wall mounting won't look too good unless I can hide cables in the wall. My overall budget really is around £700-800.

mb3195

Distinguished Member
Hi! Thanks for your reply. I will probably have all speakers on stands as I think wall mounting won't look too good unless I can hide cables in the wall. My overall budget really is around £700-800.

I wouldn’t be looking at an onkyo, definitely consider a denon, marantz or even second hand Arcam 390 or NAD if this is your price range.

jamie9141

Novice Member
I wouldn’t be looking at an onkyo, definitely consider a denon, marantz or even second hand Arcam 390 or NAD if this is your price range.

Why not, because of the set up of my space or because onkyo is no good in general?

mb3195

Distinguished Member
Why not, because of the set up of my space or because onkyo is no good in general?

onkyo aren’t as good as the others.....

their room correction is terrible and you’ll need some help with the shape of your room.

inzaman

This for me also. I was in a similar position the other year and opted for Marantz, coming from an Onkyo, due to Audyssey room correction v an Onkyo in-house solution.

jamie9141

Novice Member
Denon AVRX2600 looks good and reasonably priced.. Now to find a set of speakers to match. Any suggestions for good pairing with the AVRx2600 that would be suited to my room size? Thanks in advance

94burns

Denon AVRX2600 looks good and reasonably priced.. Now to find a set of speakers to match. Any suggestions for good pairing with the AVRx2600 that would be suited to my room size? Thanks in advance

I am in the same boat as you, someone recommended one of these to me. I'm still trying to decide which speakers.

I'm leaning towards the Q Acoustics 3010i bundle.

razy60

Given your budget, whilst the Onkyo system falls into the meh category I'd opt for this either from Audiovisual online or Peter Tyson.

jamie9141

Novice Member
I am in the same boat as you, someone recommended one of these to me. I'm still trying to decide which speakers.

I'm leaning towards the Q Acoustics 3010i bundle.
Are you not looking for a 5.1.2 setup? My understanding was that the ".2" gave two upfiring speakers for Dolby Atmos. Perhaps this isn't necessary?

94burns

Are you not looking for a 5.1.2 setup? My understanding was that the ".2" gave two upfiring speakers for Dolby Atmos. Perhaps this isn't necessary?

Yes I am but not straight away, I would look to purchase the additional two speakers at a later date.

jamie9141

Novice Member
This is my setup, is it going to be possible to fit in a 5.1 system here? Even if the angles work then I think the Q Acoustics 3010i would be too big, and would worry about heat from the radiator? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Edit: I think Q Acoustics 7000i rears could work as they are nice and slim. However, they would still be quite close to the MLP. In this case, would it still be best to mount them such that the tweeters are 1-2ft above ear level? The speaker in the corner would be very close to someone sitting right in the corner

Thanks

Attachments

• 62AE37A1-9189-4FB1-BE94-CF663D479D0E.jpeg
    62AE37A1-9189-4FB1-BE94-CF663D479D0E.jpeg
    234.2 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom