First home cinema system

ek5932

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi There,

I've finally decided to take the plunge and invest in a home cinema system. I really want Atmos, and I can't run any cables from the ceiling or walls, so after much deliberation I decided to go with the Onkyo SKSHT588, which I'm hoping will do me well with my venture into surround sound. I'm running 4k HDR (Dolby Vision) content and I was thinking a Sony STRDH790. I'm pretty new to all of this, so my first question is; will these two play nice together? Secondly, I'm trying to understand the difference between this and the more expensive model, the STRDN1080. I know the 1080 has a lot more features and content streaming services, but I'll be using my Nvidia Shield so don't care for any of that. If I plan to use the unit for audio only, is it better to go for the cheaper model?

Another thing, I noticed on the SKSHT588 the speakers wires use spring clips. When I renovated my living room, I added binding posts which take banana plugs. Would I be able to buy some clips and simply use the wire which comes with the speakers, or is there something additional I'll need to buy?

Thanks for your time!

AVR - usually the ‘step up’ model will be a combination of a little more power (which is usually a good thing with any speaker system) plus additional Inputs and Features. Nothing wrong with going for the lower cost unit if you don’t require the additional Inputs and Features of the step up model though you may give away a little control over your Loudspeakers.

Loudspeaker Cable - there should be no problem mixing bare wire, spring clip and 4mm Banana plugs, though sometimes the spring clip terminals won’t take very thick cable.

Room/Room Layout - is the most crucial ‘component’ in your system.

Joe

Thanks for the info Joe. I think I'll go for the more powerful option - just to make sure i'm future proofed.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom