First Home Cinema Setup - much advice required please!

dl8860

Novice Member
Reaction score
Since buying a new TV about a year ago (Samsung 48H6400), I've been hankering for a good sound setup for watching films and TV (and occasional music) but haven't got round to it.

I used the built in TV speakers for a while, and for the last few months have been using an ancient 5.1 monstrosity found in my parents shed
http://www.cashgenerator.co.uk/produ...tem-5-1-DW3935

So I've been browsing AV receivers and speakers for a little while (I tend to do a large amount of research before buying things like this) and have finally found what I think is a good buy.

Denon AVR-X2000w - £107 clearance (refurb)
Q Acoustics 2010i for front left and right - £60 (open box)
Q Acoustics 2000Ci centre - £95 (open box)

All clearance items from richer sounds, seems like a decent package to me.
3.0 might seem a funny choice, but my thinking is that my living room isn't huge, so the fronts should convey a decent amount of bass. Also we have neighbours downstairs who I suspect might get annoyed with the sounds of a big sub and the wife says she definitely favours clear vocals over a lot of bass - hence centre over woofer. Does this sound reasonable, or am I going to regret not getting a sub?

The long term plan is certainly to get a sub and some rears, but I'd rather invest in quality rather than quantity at this point, especially given my not-so-huge living room and neighbour situation.

My inputs will be a Sky+ HD box, PC and DVD player, which I'm planning to connect via HDMI, HDMI and RCA respectively. Might grab a cheap Bluray players while I'm in richer sounds if I fancy it.

Lastly cabling. I'm certainly no audiophile, and definitely working to a budget, so with that in mind will I be perfectly happy using something like this?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cable-Tex-Sp...=speaker+cable

Like the look of banana plugs, so was thinking of grabbing these too
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Connector-Ba...TJWZ18WG6NB5MZ

Does that sound reasonable? Is there anything else I'll need?

Thanks for reading

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
The speakers and AVR seem reasonable so would certainly go for those for the price. Your reasoning also sound sensible for what to buy as well so no issues there.
I would not bother with banana plugs unless you plan to be moving speaker/AVR often. They can help on the back of the AVR where space can be tight but they give no benefit over bare wire connections and in fact in theory could degrade sound quality since they add another connection point into the system.
The cable looks too cheap and I think too small. Really you want 2.5mm2 of greater for speaker wire. This is normally just over the £1 per m price for oxygen free copper cable. Van Damme Blue 2.5mm is a popular choice as is Fisual cable. Both tend to be just over £2 per metre. Make sure you do not buy CCA (copper clad aluminium) cable which is often a little cheaper.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom