First home cinema setup for £850 - but can't decide on the components!!!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by roomike, Jul 31, 2012.

1. roomike

roomike
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Afternoon everyone. This is my first post so please be gentle :)

Finally looking to purchase my first "proper" home cinema system and am looking for some advice as I am really struggling with what to spend my budget on and just cannot decide!

I currently have a 50" LG PS3000 TV which will be plugging in to the AV receiver to provide the video for the following devices:

• Sky+ HD Box
    • XBOX 360 (250GB Slim)
    • PS3 (Old Style Not Slim)
    • D-Link Boxee

My main goal is to get the best quality sound possible, that is hopefully going to blow me away, for both watching movies via the PS3 on Blu-Ray (DTS-HD/True-HD), Boxee via streaming MKV from NAS and playing games on XBOX and PS3.

I have a budget of £850 (less would be great but willing to go slightly more if the improvement is worth it) to buy both the AV Receiver and a set of 5.1 speakers.

Here are the current contenders under consideration:

AV Receivers
    Onkyo TX-NR515
    Yamaha RX-V671
    Yamaha RX-V673

5.1 Speakers
    Boston SoundWare S or XS SE
    Tannoy HTS-101
    Q Acoustics 2000i or Q Acoustics 2000

Any help anyone can provide would be really appreciated as feel like I am going round in circles a little at the moment! If anyone needs any more information let me know and will be more than happy to provide!

Cheers
    Mike

2. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    I would start with the Q Acoustics speakers at £500 ish and go from there. They will suit all AV receivers so it comes down to which one suits. The performance will be similar so check the number of inputs and specs exclusive to one over the other, which one has the best eq etc. I'm a big Denon and Yamaha fan so am a little biased...

3. roomike

roomike
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply davepuma ...

Would you say the increase in quality from the 2000 to the 2000i is worth the extra money?

4. roomike

roomike
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just in case anyone is looking at this thread that was in a similar position to me then I went for the Yamaha RX-V673 with the Q Acoustics 2000i Cinema Speakers (Gloss Black)

Only had them set up for a couple of days and still tinkering with the settings but so far very impressed so would highly recommend for any one looking for a similar set up

I found a deal for the kit at Exceptional AV for £950 which Audio Visual Online price matched and which came with a better cable bundle to start me off!

Hope this might help someone in the future?

5. rosenelson

rosenelson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks mate. I'm in a similar position but with a lesser budget £600.

6. toadley

toadley
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As above, just had the same decisions to make. Would love to have got the Dali Zensors but couldn't afford them!

Ended up getting a Yamaha RX-V671 clearance from Richer Sounds for £300 (there's a few left in some stores) and then kind of bodged up a 5.1 Wharfedale Diamond 10.1/9.1 setup for another £510 from deals from a couple of places, with floorstanding 10.3s front, the 9.1's rear, 150SW sub and 10.CS centre speaker.

Was also looking at the older QA 2000's (saw for £400) and the 2000i's, or the smaller Diamond 10 setup. Heard good reviews about the 10.1's and to be honest I liked the finish on them from a purely superficial point of view so ended up going with those.

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    IF budget is tight look used particularly for the Sub, you'll get a lot more BANG for your buck! Q acoustics are OK well marketed but really nothing special. I Still think Canton take some beating....Movie Series - Loudspeaker from CANTON (en)