• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

First Home Cinema Setup - any advice?

OwenE

Novice Member
Hey folks,

Going to try and setup a home cinema in one of my rooms over the coming weeks. If any of you would like to chip in that would be much appreciated. I only began looking into projectors last week and have made something of an impulse purchase (see below) which has really got things moving.

It's a budget setup. I'm picking up a BenQ W1070 next week from Richer Sounds (currently £499 with a 5 year warranty and pair of 3D specs, they have tons of stock in their warehouse, I checked). Strikes me as especially good value given its reviews. Even if I am sensitive to the rainbow effect I'm not big on action films or ones with significant black/white contrasts & as far as I'm aware because of the 6x colour wheel it is somewhat reduced if you are susceptible.

Going to put the projector in a 3.1x4.4m room with no windows (basement type room) so light pollution can be zero and will purchase a dimmer lamp or similar for ambient light. The wall can fit up to a 100 inch screen (despite 3.1m width, there is a high artificial floor along one wall, it's an odd room) so the projector will be about 3m from the wall (I believe that's the maximum).

For the sound system I don't particularly want to spend more than £100-150. I've had a look and am thinking perhaps the Yamaha YAS101 soundbar will be sufficient for the room size. I have noticed the Yamaha has a glossy front and I was hoping to place it on the floor immediately below the screen area - will this reflect much light in that position? Or is there a better sound solution for the room?

For the screen I am either going to paint it in the Black Widow mix (as per Wiki) or a true white 'smooth' satin (was going to look for a UK equivalent to the US Sherwin Williams - is there one?). Again I'm on a budget so would like to spend less than £50 on the screen. Will be getting some filler and do some sanding and priming before the coating of course. How important is a dark border for the screen? It will be meeting the skirting board on the bottom edge and ceiling and wall on the top and right side. Only the left will have spare wall space.

Cable management is something I haven't even thought out yet. I can see it being problematic. Any tips regarding this would be great. I'd like them really tidy or even completely hidden if possible. Are there wireless solutions that come without significant compromise?

Cheers,

Owen

dante01

Distinguished Member
I'd suggest the following as being a better option than your proposed Yamaha soundbar:
Yamaha YHT-199 | 5.1 Package System inc Speakers excluding DVD Player | Richer Sounds

The speakers aren't anything special, but the receiver is a full blown receiver with far more input and audio processing options than you'll be awarded with the soundbar. As said, the speakers aren't great but include an active sub and five sats.

Forget about trying to wire your setup wirelessly. If you want cables to be hidden then I'd suggest you channel out walls or use conduit to conceal the wires.

OwenE

Novice Member
Thanks for the quick reply, dante01. I thought a 5.1 system was out of the question on the grounds of cost but that's worth the extra £50, certainly. Having a receiver will make wiring the projector up much easier too - should only need power and HDMI to it now which should be easy to conceal.

Looking forward to getting the projector now!

OwenE

Novice Member
Can anyone recommend a compact ceiling bracket? The project is 110mm I believe and I can have no more than about 240mm total drop from ceiling so that it doesn't get in people's line of sight.

hype_male

Established Member
Hey folks,

Going to try and setup a home cinema in one of my rooms over the coming weeks. If any of you would like to chip in that would be much appreciated. I only began looking into projectors last week and have made something of an impulse purchase (see below) which has really got things moving.

It's a budget setup. I'm picking up a BenQ W1070 next week from Richer Sounds (currently £499 with a 5 year warranty and pair of 3D specs, they have tons of stock in their warehouse, I checked). Strikes me as especially good value given its reviews. Even if I am sensitive to the rainbow effect I'm not big on action films or ones with significant black/white contrasts & as far as I'm aware because of the 6x colour wheel it is somewhat reduced if you are susceptible.

Going to put the projector in a 3.1x4.4m room with no windows (basement type room) so light pollution can be zero and will purchase a dimmer lamp or similar for ambient light. The wall can fit up to a 100 inch screen (despite 3.1m width, there is a high artificial floor along one wall, it's an odd room) so the projector will be about 3m from the wall (I believe that's the maximum).

For the sound system I don't particularly want to spend more than £100-150. I've had a look and am thinking perhaps the Yamaha YAS101 soundbar will be sufficient for the room size. I have noticed the Yamaha has a glossy front and I was hoping to place it on the floor immediately below the screen area - will this reflect much light in that position? Or is there a better sound solution for the room?

For the screen I am either going to paint it in the Black Widow mix (as per Wiki) or a true white 'smooth' satin (was going to look for a UK equivalent to the US Sherwin Williams - is there one?). Again I'm on a budget so would like to spend less than £50 on the screen. Will be getting some filler and do some sanding and priming before the coating of course. How important is a dark border for the screen? It will be meeting the skirting board on the bottom edge and ceiling and wall on the top and right side. Only the left will have spare wall space.

Cable management is something I haven't even thought out yet. I can see it being problematic. Any tips regarding this would be great. I'd like them really tidy or even completely hidden if possible. Are there wireless solutions that come without significant compromise?

Cheers,

Owen
When you say ''picking one up next week'', have you reserved one or just going in richer sound to buy one. Reason I asked is because I bought a w1070 from richer sounds Fulham branch yesterday and despite a guy telling me on the phone it came with glasses but on arrival at the store to pick up the projector and after i've paid that was when he told me the w1070 are not shipped with glasses anymore when are asked if the glasses were in the box. The guy said the free glasses was a short term promotion and finished. I am curious to know (if you have reserved your w1070) how you managed to get a free glasses with yours. Please let me know as some how i feel like there is something fishy in the guy story that the w1070 are no longer shipped with glasses.

OwenE

Novice Member
QUOTE="hype_male, post: 20706241, member: 373195"]When you say ''picking one up next week'', have you reserved one or just going in richer sound to buy one. Reason I asked is because I bought a w1070 from richer sounds Fulham branch yesterday and despite a guy telling me on the phone it came with glasses but on arrival at the store to pick up the projector and after i've paid that was when he told me the w1070 are not shipped with glasses anymore when are asked if the glasses were in the box. The guy said the free glasses was a short term promotion and finished. I am curious to know (if you have reserved your w1070) how you managed to get a free glasses with yours. Please let me know as some how i feel like there is something fishy in the guy story that the w1070 are no longer shipped with glasses.[/QUOTE]

Excuse the slow reply. I picked it up from Newcastle RS last week. Asked over the phone about it and they said they would be included but stuck to the box. No trouble whatsoever there. I hope you get it resolved! They're 'BenQ New 3D Glasses II' if that's of any help. Perhaps ring around other stores to query this and bring that to the Fulham branch and see what they say.

hype_male

Established Member
QUOTE="hype_male, post: 20706241, member: 373195"]When you say ''picking one up next week'', have you reserved one or just going in richer sound to buy one. Reason I asked is because I bought a w1070 from richer sounds Fulham branch yesterday and despite a guy telling me on the phone it came with glasses but on arrival at the store to pick up the projector and after i've paid that was when he told me the w1070 are not shipped with glasses anymore when are asked if the glasses were in the box. The guy said the free glasses was a short term promotion and finished. I am curious to know (if you have reserved your w1070) how you managed to get a free glasses with yours. Please let me know as some how i feel like there is something fishy in the guy story that the w1070 are no longer shipped with glasses.

Excuse the slow reply. I picked it up from Newcastle RS last week. Asked over the phone about it and they said they would be included but stuck to the box. No trouble whatsoever there. I hope you get it resolved! They're 'BenQ New 3D Glasses II' if that's of any help. Perhaps ring around other stores to query this and bring that to the Fulham branch and see what they say.[/QUOTE]

No problem for the late reply. Something sounds fishy to me that i was told that the 3d glasses had end when i got my w1070 last week and you that probably picked up your w1070 after me got a free 3d glasses with yours. Think I will be calling the Newcastle branch just to find out if still be shipped with glasses this week the ring the branch i got mine from. Oh, think I would trust the branch i picked mine up since they firstly gave me an open box w1070 then had to apologies for making a mistake. Another of the branch staff didn't even know that the w1070 is a 3d projector.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom