First Home Cinema Setup advise

RoteBaron

Novice Member
Hi, firstly thanks for letting us join.
I am looking at buying my first home cinema system.
Currently have a 3.5 x 4m room and x2 Quad 11 book shelf speakers, very old and temperamental 2.0 amp and a Cambridge Audio Minx x200 sub woofer, which even at level 3 seems to shake the room!
Have a budget of £1500 so was think of buying a Denon AVC-X3700H AVR and a Monitor Audio C150 or C350 centre speaker.
With the aim of slowly building up as funds allow.
Mainly listen to back ground radio, occasionally will sit down and listen to music but most of the time its movies that we enjoy.
Prefer clarity for speech and sound to headache inducing bass.
We don't play games so AVR will just be linked to VirginMedia box for TV and wireless for radio.
Also don't want to install any rear speakers which I know limits the sound but its not practical for us.
Any suggestions would be welcome.

gibbsy

If you have no intention of going for a minimum of 5.1 or above then there is little point in going for a multi channel AV amp. A Marantz NR1200 would more likely be suitable for you with plenty of HDMI inputs and an LFE channel for the sub. It would also make a better performer with stereo music sources over an AV amp. With the extra money saved from a Denon X3700 then that can go towards the best speakers you can afford and they will make the difference.

RoteBaron

Novice Member
If you have no intention of going for a minimum of 5.1 or above then there is little point in going for a multi channel AV amp. A Marantz NR1200 would more likely be suitable for you with plenty of HDMI inputs and an LFE channel for the sub. It would also make a better performer with stereo music sources over an AV amp. With the extra money saved from a Denon X3700 then that can go towards the best speakers you can afford and they will make the difference.

Excellent thanks for advice, have spent ages reading reviews and forums and ended up totally confused. thank you.

JustinT350

I've just upgraded my Denon 540bt (5.1) to a 3700H and I'm very impressed.

I'm still only running 5.1 but planning to add to that soon.

I would say upgrade as you go along. If you buy everything with your budget now, you'll end up compromising on everything. I'd say go for the 3700, then upgrade speakers later or vice versa

password1

If you intend to keep your quads for front left and right then a monitor audio centre would not be the ideal match.

The front 3 speakers should be the same or from.the same range of speakers for best tonal and timbre matching.

If you dont need the extra channels and features of the 3700 you could go for the 2700 although the 3700 will still sound better in 5.1.mode.

ddlooping

Welcome to the forum @RoteBaron :)

Out of curiosity, how come you do not want to install rear speakers?
They do make a considerable difference.

RoteBaron

Novice Member
Welcome to the forum @RoteBaron :)

Out of curiosity, how come you do not want to install rear speakers?
They do make a considerable difference.
Hi, main problem is layout of our room. There are two doorways that means any wires for rear speakers would go over doorways or under carpet which at present is a major pain. Also not enough money to buy more speakers. In future when funds allow hope to get speakers but thats a year or two away sadly.

password1

£1500 will get you a very good system. a r and speakers

Doorways shouldn't be an issue if you dont mind lifting carpet up.or use trunking

RoteBaron

Novice Member
If you intend to keep your quads for front left and right then a monitor audio centre would not be the ideal match.

The front 3 speakers should be the same or from.the same range of speakers for best tonal and timbre matching.

If you dont need the extra channels and features of the 3700 you could go for the 2700 although the 3700 will still sound better in 5.1.mode.
Have bitten the built and gone for the Denon 3700 and MA Silver C150, thanks for advise.

RoteBaron

Novice Member
£1500 will get you a very good system. a r and speakers

Doorways shouldn't be an issue if you dont mind lifting carpet up.or use trunking
Have bitten the built and gone for the Denon 3700 and MA Silver C150.
hope to change quads for MA silver speakers next year and the following year add some rears as were aiming to change the carpet in the room in a couple of years.
One other question I have was is it ok to mount the subwoofer on the carpet? Or does it need a stand or sit on a hard surface like a tile?

password1

its ok as the minx is not downward firing but many people place the sub on something solid such as a slab.

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom