• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question First Home Cinema Projector Help

HamidS92

Hi guys/gals,

Moved into a new house and the Mrs granted my wish of a man cave...it took some convincing!!

The room is aprox 6ft x 8ft and me being me thought instead of buying a TV, lets get a projector. So ive spent the last week going back and forth between a million different articles, projectors etc and have to come to the conclusion that I need help :laugh:.

I need a short throw projector to throw anywhere upwards of a 100" picture from around 1.5m away. Popped into Richer Sounds and demo'd a BenQ W1700. Blew my mind but then again its the first ever projector out the cinema that I have seen so anything would have. Only issue with it was I felt it was a little dull and wanted a slightly brighter image. The gentleman then recommended a Optoma GT1080 DARBEE and said it was 3000 lumens rather than 2400 of the Benq and he would rather get a good 1080p projector than a entry level 4k. Now all this lumens talk got me searching for a 4k projector with a 3000 rating or higher and with my budget of around £1k i got nowhere as they are all around 2200-2600.

I then called projector point and they recomended the BenQ TH671ST which is currently £619. I want to use it for movies as well as gaming so the gentleman said this would fit the bill.

So over to you chaps...
1) for £1k should i get a good 1080p like the BenQ for £619 or get a starter 4k like the viewsonic 727 or BenQ TK800??

2) am i a fool for thinking any 4k projector will be 'less brighter' than a 1080p one??

3) what do you recommend along with a screen to do the job with it??

This will be paired up to a Yamaha RXA 3060 with a Dali surround sound package and a XTZ 1.12 sub if that makes any different.

Many thanks :clap:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom