1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First home cinema, installation help

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Billy69, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Billy69

Mar 11, 2005
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:

I am currently planning the install of my first home cinema. I've done all the maths involving the room size, throw distances and screen size, and have now purchased an Infocus 4805 and a Sapphire SEWS180WSF screen.

All good so far. I'm in a new-build house, and luckily they have provided us with a 'family room', which is just the right size :thumbsup: .

I have already fitted a Panny 42pwd7 in the living room, and have put all the cabling required between the living room and family room, and am now ready to do the main install in the next month. So I'm fairly knowledgeable about how the house is put together, and know enough DIY to complete the job.

Unfortunately, this is where I run out of talent. :)

So, what I'm trying to find out is the process I should go through to actually install. My concern is doing things right to install the screen, put the projector on the ceiling correctly, and line everything up. It occurs to me that if the projector isn't aligned perpendicular to the middle of the screen, there will be variable focus across the screen. I would also like to make sure that at installation the PJ can be set to the middle of its zoom to fill the screen.

Anybody who has done this sort of installation want to share their experiences?

Many thanks
  2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Apr 6, 2001
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Surrey. UK.
    You will find that focus will probably be the least noticable part of misalignment. What you will see is the bottom left or right corner fall below the screen to some degree.

With ceiling mounted projectors, what tends to happen with an off center projector is the top stays straight, but you will have some horizontal keystone. If the pj is too far to the left for example (it only has to be about an inch), you will rotate the projector to the right slightly without realising it to line it up with the screen. The lens will be a little bit closer to the left of the screen, so the image will be a littl smaller than on the right side, so the right appears to get larger and the image will drop off the bottom right hand corner. Obviously the opposite will happen if it's too far to the right. You just have to move the pj a little to the right and see how it looks (don't have the pj on when you move it).

If the pj is angled up or down, then the sides will taper in towards the top or bottom. If it's angled down, the top will be smaller then the bottom for example.

I generaly use the trial and error method as I have a large piece of wood in the ceiling so can easily screw through the ceiling and into it. Filling the holes takes only a minute.

What you can do is use a piece of string or a tape measure to mark a point on the ciling where the lens should go - measure from the top two corners to where the pj will go and where the lines cross at the same distance, that's where the center of the lens should be. I've not tried that mys;ef, but there's no reason why it shouldn't work. That's assuming you've put the screen up already though. :)