First HDTV, needs certain features and on a budget - have no idea!

SyG

Standard Member
Reaction score
OK, I have no flat panel TVs in the house.

For £200 or more with extras, I am after a new TV that will enable 480p on my Wii, as well as that I obviously want it to be future proof, so it's gotta be HD (I assume that will have component input?). I do not want a massive TV; it will be replacing a 21" and I'd want that or maybe a little larger.

I want 4:3 ratio EDIT: forget that, I want 16:9 , and if it has a built in Freeview tuner, that would quite frankly be amazing as it would save a lot of cabling hassle and mine is dying. I also want a 5.1 surround system - power is not what I'm after, just 3D sound and if a TV came with that then it would be ideal as it would save hooking my input gear into a separate system.

I don't know what will be quality and what won't be, and I'd hate to get it home and find it had dead pixels that the manufacturer/retailer wasn't willing to replace which a cheapo brand is more likely to do.

So to summarise:
21"+
HD

Ideal pluses:
Freeview tuner
Comes with 5.1 speakers

Price - £200 ish, obviously more with the optional pluses.

Can anyone help me, or at least recommend brands or even places to buy?

Why 4:3? Most Wii games are 16:9

Thanks. Vistron any good? Never heard of them. Like I say, with a digital tuner I am happy to pay more. In fact with speaker & digi tuner I'd go up to £300. Also, no component?

Why 4:3? Most Wii games are 16:9
Because I see no advantage to 16:9; I prefer 4:3, plus N64 & GC games are 4:3 which I play a lot of.

OK, update: after much research I've decided that 16:9 is the better option. It'd also have to be 22"+ though.

(Sorry :( ).

Hrrrm... thanks but that's £100 over budget. If it came with 5.1 speakers then I'd be game.

I don't know what you mean by 5.1 spkrs but it has
Virtual Dolby™ Surround
BBE Sound
5 + 5 W Power Output Per Channel

Well, some TVs double up as sound systems and come with speakers for surround sound.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom